cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide out question

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
How can you tell if the slide skipped a few teeth or it's just out of adjustment?

This is an electric thru the frame lippert slide out.

Thanks!!
2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie,SRW,CTD,4x4,Long bed
2020 Jayco eagle ht 274ckds

My Adventure Blog:
https://roaddivaontheroad.blogspot.com/2020/03/getting-ready.html
23 REPLIES 23

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
When your slide starts to move, do both sides move at the same time or does one end move a little before the other end starts moving? If it's the latter, you probably have a broken shear bolt. Look for a 1/4" bolt going through the shoulder of the gear. If you only see it on one side of the gear, it has sheared. You can get a replacement shear bolt anyplace they sell lawn maint. equip. parts (snow blowers, rototillers, thatchers, etc.)
It's also possible the pinion gear itself is broken but that's much more rare.

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah I hear ya. I have contacted Jayco and lippert. I just need to find out now how to adjust that far side rail. I'm pretty sure it skipped a tooth or 2. It only needs to adjust about 1/2" or so.

My Adventure Blog:

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
It is hard to give exact advice without being there, not wanting to give wrong info. I'm thinking there should be a gear drive on both sides, but likely just one motor.

As you can see, most do not feel comfortable to chime in, saying do this/that, and cause further problems for you.

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing looks disturbed. The side further from the adjuster is the side that needs to come out slightly to fix this.
I'm guessing the rail needs to be adjusted. The gear motor is on the opposite side of the side that needs adjusting. If I disengage the gear will that also allow the other side to move? Hope this makes sense.

My Adventure Blog:

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Okay, if you understand the adjustment of your system, which likely requires loosening of bolts to adjust, it is possible, that an adjusting bolt was not tightened enough, and when slide stuck to seal, may have changed adjustment. In this case, if you inspect adj bolts, and see an adjuster slot that appears to have moved, going by the marking showing by bolt, you may have found the issue.

It would take quite a force to jump a tooth. The seal would tear or pull out first, if the seal sticking caused the problem.

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is a new issue, never had a gap before. No mobile guys in this area.

Still hoping to find out how to tell the difference between skipped teeth or adjustment.
Adjustment isn't hard to do, just don't want to do it till I know its not skipped teeth.

My Adventure Blog:

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Without skipping a tooth or two, it likely would not pull out of alignment. It would have made a popping sound if jumped/skipped.

Is this a new issue, or did you have a 1/2" gap when purchased. I see it being a fairly new model.

It does need to make a good seal, when both in, and out, to avoid water issues, even bugs. I would check if a mobile tech is available, to come to you, check out, repair/adjust if needed. It would not take a competent tech long to assess and fix.

An inexperienced DIY person may do more harm than good, as adjusting a bit too much fixing one issue, can cause a worse problem in another area. A perfect fit can be hard to attain, due to not perfect build quality to begin with, so adjusting can be a compromise to make all fit as best can be.

Jerry

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
Can you visually see if there is damage to the teeth? If it is skipping teeth, it will be out of adjustment.

Does it fit properly when fully closed? Does it seem square when fully open?

If electric rack & pinion operated, they are normally dependable, and not hard for an experienced person to adjust.

Jerry

What parts I can see there is no damage. I have not closed it all the way yet. There is a gap inside on one side. I measured outside and the slide is off by about 1/2".

Seems the seal stuck to slide when extending then continued out. So I dont know if it just got pulled out of alignment or skipped some teeth.
I dont know how to figure this out!

My Adventure Blog:

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Can you visually see if there is damage to the teeth? If it is skipping teeth, it will be out of adjustment.

Does it fit properly when fully closed? Does it seem square when fully open?

If electric rack & pinion operated, they are normally dependable, and not hard for an experienced person to adjust.

Jerry