Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slide out stuck closed?

MACKCL1998
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, hope everyone is well!
First time post. I have a 2017 Rockwood 2618VS that has just developed a problem that requires me to manually have to hand crank the slidout a couple of turns before being able to open it with the electric switch.
The slide out will then extend fully and retract fully, but requires the manual cranking to repeat the opening process? i must say that the initial effort to start the cranking by hand feels like it's binding for a half turn or so then it cranks smoothly.
I am think that I have a Lippert system? I tried the syncronizing procedure of opening the room all the way then closing the slide to within 6 to 8 inches of full closed 3 repetitions with no problems. When fully retracted the the motor makes noise but no movement?
Appreciate any help,thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

MACKCL1998
Explorer
Explorer
Ok so after 3 weeks of having the problem with the slide out I go out this morning to investigate the problem further. I push the extend button and the slide out extends??? In an out a half dozen times with no issue??? No clue what was wrong or why it is now working.
Thank you Jerry and Afidel for your support! I could find nothing that would cause binding,and the teeth and gears look as new.
So for the moment I am a happy camper!

MACKCL1998
Explorer
Explorer
The motor does not make a sound like it is engaging Jerry. I will take a look at the few dozen teeth as you suggested afidel also. I lubed the gear and teeth two weeks ago and did not notice any damage!
Prior to having to use the manual crank, when the slide was closed and I tried to extend the slide I would have to press retract first then extend to open the slide!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
afidel wrote:
I'd extend the slide and look at the first few dozen teeth of the rack towards the outside of slide, it sounds like a broken or missing tooth.

Normally I'd agree, but if turning the manual crank works, there must be teeth to turn it. My guess, it is caught or binding on something, when fully retracted, which the manual crank can overcome with some effort.

When the motor makes noise, but no movement, is it a spinning free sound, or ratcheting, like when fully open/closed?

Jerry

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd extend the slide and look at the first few dozen teeth of the rack towards the outside of slide, it sounds like a broken or missing tooth.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH