cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sun lite Eagle SE cargo light wiring

iowakoper620
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings from IOWA! I just purchased a 1992 Sun Lite Eagle SE truck Camper.
1) For the life of me, I cant find the cargo light wiring that should connect to the truck to run those lights. For what I could fine for external wiring. There is two wires that apparently meant for the DC/Propane fridge. There is also wiring connections that are apparently for a battery that is connected to the converter. The manual that I have does not offer any clues to my questions.
Any ideas are greatly appreciated. I am a rookie to this kind of camper.
Greg Becker
13 REPLIES 13

RickW
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hi Indy,

welcome to the forum.

Suggest you start a new thread for your question. You are on topic but this thread is about someone else's camper and has aged a bit.

I would try to check continuity between the contacts of a running light and the pins you identified. You may have to remove all the bulbs to get a true read.
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

Indycheez
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, just joined the forum because I am a new owner of a 1982 Sun lite eagle TC. I am going thru it trying to familiarize myself with the workings of it. My question is on topic as to plugging the TC to the truck. I have a trailer harness plug at the rear of my truck and I have a round 4 pin plug on the front driver side of the TC. I was going to run an extension from truck hitch to the front plug of the TC. While inspecting the round 4 pin plug, it only had 3 wires running from it into the camper, with one pin not connected. Green White and Black. I have only the lights running along the roof of the camper. No turn signal or brake lights. I guess my question really is what does that plug operate? Is that for the running/cargo lights and for connecting 12v from truck to power the trailer 12v? Thank You.
B.

iowakoper620
Explorer
Explorer
Will do some further searching and will advise. be safe, think happy camping. Greg Becker Council Bluffs Iowa 92 Sun lite Eagle.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Looking around (not to many pics of 28year Sun-lites) but umbilical should have exited at left front corner as mentioned.

This on a '97, hacked with a piece of extension cord. I could see a p/o rerouting to rear of camper if using trucks bumper receptacle, not cutting off in a way that cant be relocated.

Some how lights wiring on roof gets down below,

This is a '98, wires drop down inside a sleeve, again left front corner.
If you cant find where they exit camper, possibly finding inside might help trace where they go (or use to).
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
Like said above, on my Sun Lite there is a plug on the front left corner of the camper that I plug a pig tail into that then plugs into the trailer plug in the rear bumper of my truck. Your camper doesn't have this plug?
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
Like RickW said a few replies up... If your camper has running lights and/or taillights, it has to be / was once connected like a trailer. With a trailer-like pigtail plugged into the truck. More likely than not, the pigtail exited the camper near the front bulkhead on the driver's side. Some campers have the connection at the rear so they can use the existing trailer plug connection in the back of the truck.
If there is neither a pigtail nor a connector near any of these locations, it doesn't seem unlikely that it was removed by a previous owner at some time during the camper's 28 years lifetime.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

iowakoper620
Explorer
Explorer
Hey many thanks for all the in put! As of yet no visible wires that I can see that would connect the camper to the truck that run the cargo or as reference clearance lights still
working on it

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If you're talking about the lights that come on with the trucks headlights and tail lights, those aren't cargo lights. They're normally referred to as clearance or running lights.

RickW
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is there a receptacle on the left front corner of the truck camper about 1 foot up from the bottom?

Normally, the TC exterior lights for driving (tailight, brake and running lights) are connected directly to the truck lighting system, either to the truck trailer hitch connector or to a special connector installed in the front left wall of the truck bed. In this case, you need a wire harness or "pigtail" to make the complete connection.

This connector may also provide 12 volt power from the truck alternator and battery. This circuit would be connected to the converter and battery in the truck camper. The battery or converter in the TC will not power the exterior driving lights on the TC
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm confused. Are you saying there is no cord to plug the TC into the truck, but the TC has clearance lights? What about tail lights, stop lights, etc?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you havenโ€™t mentioned your RV experience in your profile, I think Bob was offering you newbie advice.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

iowakoper620
Explorer
Explorer
Bob, I was looking for help to figure out a connection for the camper exterior clearance lights also know as cargo lights. There is no direct connection to the truck to the camper.
Greg

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Does the TC have it's own battery? I would not run lights off of a truck battery unless it's a second RV only battery. A dead truck starting battery would not be fun.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob