cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Soft Foam Core Floor

addachuck
Explorer
Explorer
I have a pretty serious question and would like any suggestions or feedback I can get. We have a 2006 Adirondack Travel Trailer. The floor is very soft by the kitchen sinkand has spread to either side. I have reinforced the floor from underneath with angle steel bolted to the steel crossmembers and 5/4 deck boards bridging the span. The floor is solid now but I have discovered that a leak has caused the problem. The dealer zoomed me into thinking it was just a design thing and would be fine with a little reinforcement. They stuck a one by six above the crossmember and sent it back. Like an idiot I believed them. Anyway, the trailer has a foam core floor(I think it is called) about 1/8 luan with 1.5 - 2.0 of styrofoam with another 1/8 luan below. It is wet (not sure how wet) and spreading.

My plan is to remove the flooring, dry it out and glue laminate flooring over the luan. After locating and fixing the leak, of course. Originally I thought I would cut the floor out and patch it but I began to think that styrofoam is inpervious to water so why now leave it. One concern is that a large slide out glides over this floor so I am worried about how thick the laminate flooring can be. The other thing is I get conflicting information on whether I can glue laminate down or not and why (either way). I don't think it will work well floating so if I can not glue it down, I need to do something else.

My question is also, has anyone done anything similar? These leaks seem to be quite common.
3 REPLIES 3

MStat
Explorer
Explorer
I am having what may be exact same problem with my 2006 Adirondack 27DSL-FK trailer. First noticed it this spring.

Floor in front of the stove is soft. Cannot find any source of leakage from water heater (which is in the area) or sink. Only potential source I could find was where the front awing support was attached to the side.

Looking thru the frame, area is unfortunately directly over the front gray water tank and fresh water tank.

I contacted Thor and they were going to have be re-enforce the floor from underneath, but that would mean dropping both tanks.

I have found some other posts that over time this type of "built up floor" can fail due to glue failing.

I'm thinking of getting some laminate style floor (tongue & grove) and just laying it over top of the area. (after peeling up linoleum and verifying / fixing water leak)

I'd be curious about what you may find.

By the way has your front cap/covering come "delaminated"?

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Foam is not impervious to water so I would allow some dry time before sealing it all back up.

Most laminate is designed to float and it shouldn't be an issue, especially if using an attached-back product.

If you want a glue-down strip flooring, those are available, also.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
Residential laminate flooring is not made to be glued down. It is made to float because of expansion and contraction. I also have the foam core floor. I had to remove all of the vinyl floor on mine and dry the luaun. Then I put down vinyl squares.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch