Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Spontaneous window shattering

Cyndi_K
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, fellow RVers!
I'm new to the site and am in need of some advice, please. Has anyone experienced a black out window just spontaneously cracking into a thousand pieces?
I just traded my 2017 Lance Model 1475 in on a 2019 Lance Model 2285 in July 2018. I had no problems with the black out windows in my last RV. But, sometime in less than 48 hours, one of the black out windows closest to the kitchen door shattered in place into a thousand pieces. It is in a secured, locked, fenced area with cameras. No foul play is suspected or shows on camera footage.
The black portion shattered and the clear window underneath stayed together. It was still hanging on the side of the RV when I arrived. But, as soon as I closed the door to leave to get something to cover it with, then entire window just fell right off the RV.
I've heard of car windshields and windows doing this and my RV is on warranty. Unable to get a warranty answer back from Lance yet after the dealer and I have attempted contact. It's snowing where I'm at and I'm afraid that my temporary garbage bag/duct tape repair won't keep water damage from occurring soon and I don't want to file an insurance claim since it would appear to be a warranty issue.
Does anyone have any experience with this happening to them? Particularly if they own a Lance? I'll need to file a timely insurance claim and I'm trying to get a replacement window pronto. But, all that doesn't seem to be happening as fast as Mother Nature is here in Park City, UT.
Any thoughts, suggestions, sharing would be most helpful and appreciated! I'm a single woman and sometimes I just can't perform the types of temporary repairs that a man is capable of. Hate to admit that, but there it is ...... ๐Ÿ˜‰
Thank you!
Cyndi
15 REPLIES 15

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I know nothing of this particular window but it is a known issue with any tempered glass panes. The process by which the glass is made creates enormous internal stresses. These are responsible for such glass being enormously strong, but every once in a while, it results in a pane that shatters for no apparent reason. It should be covered under warranty. Congratulations, you found the one that would do that.