cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spring Shakedown Trip cancelled

frisbeekev
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure I am not the only one in this boat, but it looks like my April shakedown trip will be cancelled. Usually within the next couple weeks I am getting the RV de-winterized and ready to go out. I have more time and may still do that, but I am hoping to be able to go out this summer as planned. And I will use my RV for quarentine if needed also. Stay safe out there everyone.
28 REPLIES 28

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
Michigan is leaving campgrounds open but closing restrooms, reservations, cabins and other similar structures. Basically if you're self contained you're good.
Now that makes sense. California could take a lesson.

Do people really camp in MI in March?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
sgfrye wrote:
north carolina state park campgrounds are closed till further notice. trails and restrooms are open

Michigan is leaving campgrounds open but closing restrooms, reservations, cabins and other similar structures. Basically if you're self contained you're good. They're even waving the state recreation pass (probably because there's nobody to enforce it). They are strongly suggesting online booking beforehand since walk-ups aren't allowed and cell service at campgrounds is iffy.

Ohio state campgrounds are open including cabins but the hotel style lodges are closed. I'd expect our restrooms and cabins to close soon as it's kinda insane to leave them open given all the other statewide closures.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
sgfrye wrote:
north carolina state park campgrounds are closed till further notice. trails and restrooms are open
I just got kicked out of a CA park. Only a few campers here, well away from each other, yet they're not allowing camping but keeping the restrooms open for day use. A lot of us snowbirds rely on these parks on our way home.

This doesn't make any sense to me.

That is a stupid application of very generic “policy”. They should be allowing every other or every third spot to stay occupied and wave the 14-day stay limit. That’s the very definition of sheltering in place.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
sgfrye wrote:
I just got kicked out of a CA park. Only a few campers here, well away from each other, yet they're not allowing camping but keeping the restrooms open for day use. A lot of us snowbirds rely on these parks on our way home.

This doesn't make any sense to me.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
sgfrye wrote:

We were planning to visit a few of the NC parks in the coming months and have put that notion away for the time being.
We have a lot of reservations for summer and fall. Can only wait and see how that pans out.
Wasn’t planning on it with our travel plans, but gonna get started on a complete veggie garden.
Best laid plans of mice and men, and all that....
Here’s hoping everyone stays well.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer

frisbeekev
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
I'm taking my rig out of storage a month early to use as a home office/study area. It's going to cost me ~$60 to heat for the month, but that's cheap for the sanity it will preserve.

Could you write off the $60 on your taxes as a "Business Expense: since it is for work? Just kidding. Sounds like a good plan and way to use the rig at these times

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm taking my rig out of storage a month early to use as a home office/study area. It's going to cost me ~$60 to heat for the month, but that's cheap for the sanity it will preserve.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Well dang it, hope I'm not getting my hopes up......called VA State parks today and was informed, nothing is closing.

De-winterizing this weekend.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I "heard" that Tennessee was throwing their parks open to the public. Can you imagine the RV dollars headed to the Volunteer State!

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Got an email from the state park this morning stating that out reservation is canceled and refund applied. Y’all stay safe and well!
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

smokindok
Explorer
Explorer
Hope you get to do that Canadian Maritime trip, routeforty! We did that a few years back and it was wonderful. Probably my favorite camping trip ever.

We were to leave today to head to Kearney, NE for the sandhill crane migration. Maybe next year.

routeforty
Explorer
Explorer
Was planning to do the Canadian Maritimes next month. Just got my passport-but looks like Canada had a different idea. 😞 Oh well, hopefully we can try this fall. Have some property down in the Wayne NF, that may be all the rving that gets done for a few weeks(unless the higher ups decide that everyone is to stay home :E :E
2018 coachmen leprechaun class c 2008 KZ spree 260FL

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I would do it, unless your destination is closed. This lockdown can't go on for very long or the country is going into a depression.

Now, if the gas stations close, that's different, but that would be completely insane.