cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Squeaking Clutch

Elwoodj
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have any ideas why my oem clutch started squeaking when my foot presses down? The truck is a 2004.5 with the nv5600 transmission. It has a 148000 miles on it and the clutch still works.
Elwood & Kathy
36' CK3 Mobile Suite - 2006
2004 Dodge Ram Cummins 6 speed
HO 600 373
20 REPLIES 20

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
What squeaks?

The foot lever pivot points?
When you take off from a start?
When the engine is running?
When the engine is off?
Does the pitch change with rpm?
What else?

Otherwise there is a certain amount of metal rubbing when you press the foot peddle so just apply some forgetaboutit.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depends on where the noise is. Does the noise occur while you press the clutch in and continues while you have the clutch pressed? Or does it just occur while the clutch is moving and stops when the clutch stops moving? Does it occur while pressing the clutch down, but not when letting it out, or vice versa?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
148k sounds pretty good to me. Repair/replace as necessary.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Turn the radio up, the noise will go away.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
And you need to replace the clutch assembly (clutch disk, pressure plate, and throw out bearing at minimum. Maybe even the flywheel too if itโ€™s a dual-mass type) before the bearing comes apart. If that happens, youโ€™re stuck waiting for a tow. BTDT.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Throw out bearing is dry.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie