cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Still looking, need tall interior, but half ton towable

a_tack
Explorer
Explorer
I've been researching for a while now and it's looking like I'll be purchasing my first travel trailer in about 7 months or so. I'm running into issues however. I have 3 small kids so I will be buying a bunkhouse, preferably with a slide. I'm trying to watch my weight though. My tow vehicle is a 2013 F150 XLT ext cab 5.0 4x4 3.55 gears with tow package rated at 7,800 lbs. I purchased it new in March of 2013 and it will be paid off by the end of the summer. So I do not want to upgrade trucks as I don't want another truck payment.

Here's my dilemma. I've found plenty of ultra lite 26ft bunkhouses (5000-5200# dry) within my price range, but they all have a 78" interior height. I am 78" tall. I'm not going to spend $23,000+ on a trailer that I can't stand up straight in for hitting my head on lights and things. I have found several models with an 81" interior height, but they are all 1500# heavier (6300-6500# dry).

I won't be towing any more than 90ish miles, most trips less than 30 miles. The heavier trailers, loaded will be right at my trucks tow capacity. With a quality weight distribution/anti sway system like an Equalizer and a proper brake controller, should I worry about short distances at max tow capacity? I've also already upgraded to e load tires on my truck. The most I've pulled with it is about 4500# and it handled that like a dream. I have pulled travel trailers much heavier than what I'm looking at, but they weren't mine and they were with a 3/4 ton truck. Thanks in advance!

*EDIT*
If it helps the floor plan/models I've been looking at are the Keystone Hideout 27dbs (81" interior) and Jayco Jay Flight 27BHS (81" interior). One of the ultra lites was a Keystone Passport 2670BH (78" interior). This is the floor plan we like 26-27' bunkhouse with slide and outdoor kitchen.
24 REPLIES 24

a_tack
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
What does the yellow sticker on the door of your F150 say your max payload is?

1,830 lbs I think.

Here's a truck I've been eyeballing for a while.

http://www.glocknerofashland.com/new/Ram/2017-Ram-2500-c47b67940a0e0adf53250b5d40835661.htm

If I could get the right trade and put a little cash with it and keep my finances amount under $10k I'd seriously consider upgrading trucks.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
What does the yellow sticker on the door of your F150 say your max payload is?

a_tack
Explorer
Explorer
Tow vehicle in question.

a_tack
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
If you find your options too limited you could offset a lot of the cost of a heavier truck with the value of your current truck. It's not like you're driving around a 15 year old beater that's not worth anything. Just food for thought. Limiting yourself to lightweight trailers or short local trips negates a lot of the value you get from having a camper to begin with, imo.

It's not completely out of the question. I only have a few more payments left and I just rolled over 35,000 miles. Hate to get rid of it. I don't like having payments. I'll have about 75-80% saved up for the camper by spring time.

Local dodge dealer has some new 2017 Ram 2500 crew cab, 4x4, 6'4" bed 6.4l gas trucks priced at $38k right now.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
If you find your options too limited you could offset a lot of the cost of a heavier truck with the value of your current truck. It's not like you're driving around a 15 year old beater that's not worth anything. Just food for thought. Limiting yourself to lightweight trailers or short local trips negates a lot of the value you get from having a camper to begin with, imo.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
Outdoors RV: Creekside 21DBS, or Blackrock 23BKS. 83" interior height, overbuilt based on your search, but if you can get one at the right price...

Blackrock 23BKS

Creekside

Also check sister company Northwood Nash 25C, I think they share the same interior height.
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

a_tack
Explorer
Explorer
I forgot to add, the speed limit is no higher than 60 mph between me and the 5 closest campgrounds I will frequent. Also, I will be the only person in the tow vehicle. My wife, kids, and dogs will follow in her new van.

Hideout 27dbs 6500#, exterior 132", interior 81"
Jay Flight 27bhs 6350#, exterior 135", interior 81"
Passport 2670bh 5100# exterior 127", interior 78"

Exterior heights are including A/C

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Tall trailers create more wind resistance. This makes the drive train work harder. Especially at 60 mph and above. Just something to keep in mind.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I've been looking at bunkhouse trailers too. I've notice that the "light weight" models seem to be saving weight by making the ceiling lower. Have you stepped into the shower on any of these. They try to compensate for the low ceiling by putting a domed skylight above the shower. It makes me feel like I'm wearing a helmet.
When I look at the "standard, not lightweight" lines the ceilings are taller so that's what I'll be going with. However, I have a diesel dually so weight isn't so much of an issue as it is with your truck.
I don't see any problem pulling right up to the max weight. Or even over depending on a lot of variables. However, you do have to take the family and their gear in the truck into account when figuring the towing capacity and payload limits. If your close to the limit, going close and slow, then I'd pull it for sure.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at small lighter toyhaulers like the Jayco Octane Super Lites. Toyhaulers have better headroom, and the garage area can easily accommodate 3 bunks. The only problem with these Jayco flooplans is a corner bed. You would have to sleep in the open side, which means your wife would have to climb over you to get up.

Or you could rig up a longer bed in the garage, and let 2 of the kiddos have the corner bed. That might work pretty well.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board