cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storeage Covers, yes or no?

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2005 Palamino 6140 that we just purchased a few weeks ago after having 2 travel trailers. This is our second pop up as we started with a 1999 Coleman Cheyenne that we purchased new. Right now I have the pup in my detached garage which is great because I have enough room to open it up for loading, maintenance or drying out if need be. I'd really rather not have it in there all the time though as this is kind of my workshop and man cave, lol. Was looking at maybe getting a cover for it for outside storeage to help in keeping water out. (I've dealt with rotten floors before in one of our TTs.) Anyone else do this? I know that with the Coleman they recommended against it to keep out humidity and such, but I see some of the covers are breathable. Thanks for any advice!
2013 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 4x4 iForce 5.7
2014 Grey Wolf by Forest River 26BH TT
6 REPLIES 6

TKConn
Explorer
Explorer
We say yes ...to rv covers . We use ADCO Covers with are breathable.
We live in fla and with the sun rays beaming down on it every single day. It Ruins the shine and decals. our friends that don't cover theirs and we do . Well ours still looks brand new and theirs is fading they also don't cover the tires and they r also dry rotting NOW they wished they would have spent the money for covers and kept one of their biggest investments looking nice on the outside. we used one on our 28" trailer and already bought two for our HW pop up. We get about 2 yrs out of them before they start to dry out and start flaking from the sun. (But only on the roof material).. i guess if we had a shade tree it would last longer -- the covers are not that expensive for pop-ups and to us it is Well Worth Every Penny. Cause some day we will sell it or trade and want it to look nice . We also wax the camper every couple of months. Just like u would for your car..
PS: forgot to mention the cover ALSO protects the roof from all the bird droppings..we have never had any problems with rodents ,bugs While it was covered. Thank god !!
Good luck in your decision
TC & KC /Fla ?? ??

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
I can completely open mine up in the shop, but it takes up one whole bay! The boat sits in the other bay with a few other toys so with the camper in there, I have no place to change oil or do other vehicle maintenance. I wasn't going to use just a plain tarp, but one of the breathable covers designed for the pup. Still haven't decided yet. If I can find some extra $$, I may have a lean-too added to the shop for the pup. Just want to keep water and snow off of it as much as possible.

red31
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure there are plenty of folks with leaks that wished they had tarped!

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
Right - something like an ADCO breathable cover would do just what you want without harboring water and moisture issues.

I am in the same boat as you with space contention in the shop. I can even extend the beds but I just can't raise it to full height due to the trusses.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, that's what I figured. I'm in the process of recaulking all of the seams and ensuring it's as watertight as possible. I suppose I'll probably keep it inside as much as I can and move it out when I need to work on something or park another vehicle in there.

Cape_Cod_Mounta
Explorer
Explorer
No.
Cover with full air circulation like a garage or carport but NOT with a tarp. It becomes a mold and varmint breeding ground. Mold is your mortal enemy.
Mine is outdoors, clear of trees. No problem.
Destinations on purpose: Canada: Alberta, BC, Nove Scotia, PEI, New Brunswick. USA: ME,NH,MA,VT,NY,MT,WY,MN,MI,WI,GA,VA,FL,UT,CA,OR,ID,CO,NV,AZ
:BLife is Good
2009 Jayco 1206
2011 Toyota Tundra