cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Summer fuel at minus 42

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
We buy fuel by the tanker load and like to order it prior to when the winter blend is out in the fall and after summer fuel comes out in the spring. Consequently we need an additive to keep our fuel from gelling over winter. Seems like there's always a spell when it doesn't necessarily work so good. Last week the Peterbuilt quit on me. I guess I didnt put in enough additive. I must have used a bit more juice in the Ford as it seemed fine. Current temperature is only minus 22 F but the low over the next couple nights is forecast to drop down to minus 42 with windchills of minus 54*F. If my pickup wasn't sitting in the garage with a full tank of summer fuel I think I'd be filling it up with winter blend for the next couple days. Have you ever experienced the joys of gelled fuel at minus 40?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5
17 REPLIES 17

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Current temperature is only -22F........ Wow :E

We’ve never had a problem with our farm summer blend gelling during our Texas winters.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^^ Cat C15.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of engine do you have in that Peterbilt? I would wager that the aluminum fuel tanks on the Pete will transfer cold temps better than than the plastic ones in your truck. That is one reason why some of the old truckers used to have wraps for their fuel tanks.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS