cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The most reliable Travel Trailer

Eddiegnz1
Explorer
Explorer
Based on your experience, which brand of travel trailer is among the most trouble free. I'm not looking for luxury, I don't want fancy counter tops nor amazingly beautiful cabinets...what I'm searching for, more than anything, is for all things to function properly for many years.

I've heard that many travel trailers are frequently needing something repaired or parts replaced. So I'm prepared to deal with some level of this...

But is there a brand that has a reputation for being one of (or the most) trouble free.

I'm just looking for brand names of 17 to 30 foot travel trailers, based on one that you've owned.

Thank you!
Eddie
89 REPLIES 89

NWnative
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
jmtandem wrote:
The whole concept of a $140,000 30' long no slide "travel trailer" seems ludicrous.

The best things in life might be free. Many happy Airstream owners know the second best things in life are very expensive and worth every penny.

If I spent $140,000 on a 30' TT I'd sure as heck say I was happy. Even if I regretted it a little.

My 30FT was quite a bit less than that.....paid closer to what i would pay for a well equipped fifth wheel and less than my previous Class C motorhome. But yes....the Classics and Land Yachts are super expensive. This will be my home several months of the year and was cheaper than buying a condo and....I still get the tax write off. Happy Trails!
2019 Ford F250 Lariat CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 - 6.2 Gas w/4.30 Axle
2016 Airstream Flying Cloud 30RB / Blue Ox Sway Pro / Rock Tamers
2021 Mazda CX-9 Signature AWD

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
"They're all the same." No they are not, there is a huge difference between plywood and chipboard. I've worked with both.
Adventure before dementia

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
1stgenfarmboy wrote:
I agree with this and have said it about cars/motorcycles/trucks/campers/ houses...just about anything you buy will last if you don't beat the **** out of it.

I think I will pay 25,000 or so for a new 2017 Forest River....ya know the junkiest of the lot and use the other 115k for camping and fuel.

I have owned 7 different brands of campers and from MH all the way down to pop-ups and there really is not a nickles difference and any of them.

My wife can't stand Airstreams, so they're not even in the discussion. ๐Ÿ™‚

and one other thing, do you really think the wives would want the same furnature and layout for 20-30 years ?? I can't walk through my own house right now in the dark because there is no tellin where the couch and recliners are.:E

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
1stgenfarmboy wrote:
.....snip

......and one other thing, do you really think the wives would want the same furnature and layout for 20-30 years ?? I can't walk through my own house right now in the dark because there is no tellin where the couch and recliners are.:E

LOL. Excellent point. I know I have about zero interest in keeping anything 20 - 30 years. After a while, it's time to change things up a little. To say nothing of the fact that our floorplan needs may well change over time.
Heck I couldn't even keep a wife that long.....but that's another story ....:)

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with this and have said it about cars/motorcycles/trucks/campers/ houses...just about anything you buy will last if you don't beat the **** out of it.

I think I will pay 25,000 or so for a new 2017 Forest River....ya know the junkiest of the lot and use the other 115k for camping and fuel.

I have owned 7 different brands of campers and from MH all the way down to pop-ups and there really is not a nickles difference and any of them.

and one other thing, do you really think the wives would want the same furnature and layout for 20-30 years ?? I can't walk through my own house right now in the dark because there is no tellin where the couch and recliners are.:E
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
My entry level Keystone Springdale has been just fine.
Use it gently and keep up on the maintenance and I think most trailers are very reliable.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem wrote:
The whole concept of a $140,000 30' long no slide "travel trailer" seems ludicrous.

The best things in life might be free. Many happy Airstream owners know the second best things in life are very expensive and worth every penny.

If I spent $140,000 on a 30' TT I'd sure as heck say I was happy. Even if I regretted it a little.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a new Jayco 27 foot bunkhouse trailer in 2003. Sold it last fall after thousands of miles, hundreds of nights camping, and countless memories. The thing was essentially trouble free for the 13 years I owned it. Never took it back to the dealer once.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem wrote:

Wishing you many years of happy travels with your Airstream sir. :B
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
NWnative wrote:
Airstreams are not infallible but....they are pretty well built. As for the 7 hour jayco build, here is the video from the Jayco factory. Quantity over quality! It's your money...spend it how you like.

Jayco built in 7 Hours

Personally, I don't see the problem. Ours have been well built and have given us years of good service. Airstream produces over 2000 trailers alone each year from their facility in Ohio. Not sure how 400 hours each adds up to that amount but that's not my claim. The ones we looked at at our local dealership didn't reflect such attention to detail. They appeared to be slapped together like the rest of them. Yet people will deny their faults like a cult following. Maybe with both Airstream and Jayco being owned by Thor, quantity over quality is shared by both. Have no doubt, I'd like to have one and we can afford one but, it's not about quality, roominess, comfort, longevity or function. Like Jaquars and Harleys, the allure is completely impractical. After all, it's a travel trailer, not a luxury yacht. The whole concept of a $140,000 30' long no slide "travel trailer" seems ludicrous.

DryHeat56
Explorer
Explorer
Eddie,

I will make my answer short and to the point. I have a 1999 Nash 22H that I have used for going on 18 years now. It has been to Alaska, the Keys, the East coast a couple of times and into a bunch of remote Forest Service and BLM sites. I have had NO frame or structural issues at all. Granted the trailer has no fancy graphics, slides, flat screen tvs etc. I have done the usual maintenance and many upgrades. People that see it can't believe it is a 1999 coach. Can you tell I love the thing! So, I recommend a Nash for you. I am not familiar with their new stuff, but if they are close to what I have you will be happy. Good luck.

Tim
1999 Nash 22H
2004 Ford Super Duty

NWnative
Explorer
Explorer
Airstreams are not infallible but....they are pretty well built. As for the 7 hour jayco build, here is the video from the Jayco factory. Quantity over quality! It's your money...spend it how you like.

Jayco built in 7 Hours
2019 Ford F250 Lariat CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 - 6.2 Gas w/4.30 Axle
2016 Airstream Flying Cloud 30RB / Blue Ox Sway Pro / Rock Tamers
2021 Mazda CX-9 Signature AWD

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Vintage465 wrote:
Eddiegnz1 wrote:
Based on your experience, which brand of travel trailer is among the most trouble free. I'm not looking for luxury, I don't want fancy counter tops nor amazingly beautiful cabinets...what I'm searching for, more than anything, is for all things to function properly for many years.

I've heard that many travel trailers are frequently needing something repaired or parts replaced. So I'm prepared to deal with some level of this...

But is there a brand that has a reputation for being one of (or the most) trouble free.

I'm just looking for brand names of 17 to 30 foot travel trailers, based on one that you've owned.

Thank you!
Eddie

This poor guy. All he wanted to know was what he wrote above.......In other words........your opinion and experience with brands.

Airstream has the reputation of being infallible. This guy owns one less than ten years old. :S

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4pXCTFJ9Po