Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Advice

uconn_jack
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

I recently had a blowout on my 2009 Skyline Layton 2970 TT (8,800 GVWR). Bought it used late last year, great shape, with Goodyears (including spare) on it that also looked in good shape and that I understand were about 3 yrs old. Tread-wise they have at least another year to them, and since I am on a bit of a budget, I could just put the current spare into use and get a new spare. However, even being Goodyears, with the blowout I'm not sure I trust the rest and would rather buy 4 new.

I know how most feel about "china-bombs", but I am on a budget so can't go with the Maxxis or Sailuns everyone raves about. Plus I'm not convinced its as big of a problem as its made out to be (my old TT had Greenballs and then HiRuns, never had a blowout until the Goodyears). So anyway, I have narrowed it down to the following tires (ST225/75R15):

Power King Towmax Vanguard - Load Index 117, Load Range E, Speed N
Trailer King RST - Load Index 117, Load Range E, Speed M
Gladiator QR25-TS - Load Index 117, Load Range E, Speed N
Carlisle Radial Trail HD - Load Index 113, Load Range D, Speed M

Now I know Carlisle is the only one of these brands that seems to be acceptable by many, and it is only about $10-15 more per tire than the others, but it does have lower load and speed specs than the others. The Carlisle specs are sufficient for my TT weight, but I am wondering if getting more load buffer with the 117/E tires might be better, despite those tires being held in less regard.

Looking forward to opinions! Thanks!
49 REPLIES 49

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Power King and Trailer King have the worst rap in the larger sizes. Carlisle gets good mention. GY Endurance gets the nod in your size.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If youโ€™re on a budget then you should look at the mfg dates on the tires for free and see if theyโ€™re really only 3 years old. And if they are, and havenโ€™t been constantly beat by the sun in the desert or some equally as destructive treatment, then buy one tire to replace the blowout.
And Iโ€™d buy an E rated tire because, why not?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Don't worry about brand. Keep the tires properly inflated and don't overload them and a blowout is unlikely.

Overload and underinflate the supposed top of the line brands and expect blowouts.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
For many years I have had very good luck with both Goodyear and Maxxis tires and sometimes towed TT heavily loaded. Also good service from both Hancook and Goodyear tires on heavily loaded tow vehicle. Constantly checking for proper tire pressure. Only one problem with leaking valve stem in Utah. All is good with the 4 Rs. Yup

Flarpswitch
Explorer
Explorer
Blowouts can tear up a trailer costing you lots more than replacing a tire. The majority of the tire failures that I have seen personally have been due to overloading and under inflation. I would go with at least an 'E' Load Range tire and all the tire people that I talk to say to run the trailer tire at the max PSI (cold) for that tire. If you know the weight on the axles, do the math and if you have a load and tire pressure chart for that tire, you may be able to inflate to a lower PSI. I ran my trailer tires at max PSI for the last 50 years and never had a blowout. With regular inspection checking the condition and temperature of the tires, I did find once a trailer tire that started to bulge due to ply separation. The last 40 miles of a 1,200 mile trip on a single axle boat trailer. It would not have made it home.
Steve