cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires for Arctic Fox 22G

Arnold_Wagaman
Explorer
Explorer
The Arctic Fox 22G has load range C tires, and a GVWR of 7500 lbs. Has any one traveled to Alaska with load Range C? How do they hold up?
I ordered a new 22G and Northwood will not put D rated tires on it for me. Arnold Wagaman Kenai AK.
2014 Silverado 1500 5.3 engine 3.08 axel 6 speed automatic transmission
2015 Arctic Fox 22G
Heaven! My last stop.
14 REPLIES 14

Heap64
Explorer
Explorer
Arnold Wagaman wrote:
Your all welcome to visit me in Kenai, Alaska. (not all at the same time)

We might just hold you to that!
James & Kim from Central Illinois
2012 Ford F250 XLT CC SB 4x4 6.7, ARE Topper and Decked Draw System
2013 Arctic Fox 25Y (1250lb tongue weight with mods)
Blue Ox Sway Pro 1500 w/Reese Titan Weight Dist Shank

canoe_on_top
Explorer
Explorer
I had an '06 Nash 22GQ, ( a couple of hundred lbs lighter than the AF). I did change the Chinese tires for Towmaster 205/75/15 LRC tires that were made in Canada and New Zealand. I think they are made in China now.

I towed up the Dempster in the Yukon and over the Top of the World Highway. Bent both axles going too fast over frost heaves between Tok and Haines Junction but, never a tire problem. I carried two spares and didn't use either one.

Arnold_Wagaman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who responded. I have my answer. Your all welcome to visit me in Kenai, Alaska. (not all at the same time)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G
Heaven! My last stop.

Heap64
Explorer
Explorer
Are you picking it up at Thunder RV? There is a Les Schwab Tire Shop there in LaGrande. I have heard of others getting different tires mounted there.

My 2013 AF 25Y came with Goodyear Marathon's (a different size) so far they are still doing fine. But I do plan a tire upgrade before too many more miles.

Good luck with your new Fox and safe travels.
James & Kim from Central Illinois
2012 Ford F250 XLT CC SB 4x4 6.7, ARE Topper and Decked Draw System
2013 Arctic Fox 25Y (1250lb tongue weight with mods)
Blue Ox Sway Pro 1500 w/Reese Titan Weight Dist Shank

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
PUCampin wrote:
GVWR may be 7500lbs, but dry weight is listed as 4678 and CCC of 2822! (Sounds like they are borrowing a frame and axles from a heavier trailer). That is A LOT of CCC, which you will probably not come close to using. Load range C in that size are typically 1820lbs each for 7280lbs (the rest of the GVWR is assumed to be on the tongue). Unless you carry around a rock garden like Lucy, you will not come close to max for those load range C tires. Also, most of the equipment on Arctic Fox is standard and is included in that dry weight, not many options. So even if you manage to load up over 1800lbs of options, water, batteries, propane and stuff, at 6500lbs and 13% tongue weight, the trailer tires will see 5655lbs or 1414lbs each, only around 78% of their rated capacity. Having a good margin of safety is one of the best ways to increase reliability. In general I would not worry about the load carrying capacity of these tires on this trailer. How they handle road conditions up there, if they are better or worse than other places, I can't speak to. I do know the 99 here in SoCal is just about 3rd world in the right lane ๐Ÿ™‚ I just replaced my original load C tires that were 8-9 year old. Replaced with the same.

Almost all of the Northwood products come with high CCC's. It's because they build their own frames and make them strong enough to handle loads as well as off road travel. My 5'er has 4315 CCC. UVW is 7185lbs.

Learn something new everyday! Certainly is refreshing vs the trailers that roll off the dealer lot empty with 500lbs left!
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS ๐Ÿ˜› 2007, DD :C 2008

sh410
Explorer
Explorer
We traveled from Washington state to Fairbanks and back including The Top of The World "highway" in a Nash 22H with a new set of "china bomb" LRC tires in 2006 and replaced them this spring.

No flats, no leaks, no blowouts!

B_GAGE
Explorer
Explorer
Our 22GQ has been running all over the US with the stock tires for 11 years with no problems. We replaced the first set at 6 years and plan to replace them agian before next season because of age not because of failures.
Bill & Donna

2004 Arctic Fox 22GQ, Loaded
2003 Dodge 2500, Quad Cab, 4X4, CTD 5 Speed
2015 Ram 3500 Limited, Crew Cab, CTD, Aisin
2017 Wolfcreek 840, Loaded

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
PUCampin wrote:
GVWR may be 7500lbs, but dry weight is listed as 4678 and CCC of 2822! (Sounds like they are borrowing a frame and axles from a heavier trailer). That is A LOT of CCC, which you will probably not come close to using. Load range C in that size are typically 1820lbs each for 7280lbs (the rest of the GVWR is assumed to be on the tongue). Unless you carry around a rock garden like Lucy, you will not come close to max for those load range C tires. Also, most of the equipment on Arctic Fox is standard and is included in that dry weight, not many options. So even if you manage to load up over 1800lbs of options, water, batteries, propane and stuff, at 6500lbs and 13% tongue weight, the trailer tires will see 5655lbs or 1414lbs each, only around 78% of their rated capacity. Having a good margin of safety is one of the best ways to increase reliability. In general I would not worry about the load carrying capacity of these tires on this trailer. How they handle road conditions up there, if they are better or worse than other places, I can't speak to. I do know the 99 here in SoCal is just about 3rd world in the right lane ๐Ÿ™‚ I just replaced my original load C tires that were 8-9 year old. Replaced with the same.

Almost all of the Northwood products come with high CCC's. It's because they build their own frames and make them strong enough to handle loads as well as off road travel. My 5'er has 4315 CCC. UVW is 7185lbs.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has any one traveled to Alaska with load Range C?

You live in Alaska! Why is Alaska any different than anywhere else in the US as it relates to load range tires and what they can carry? Generally heat is the tires enemy. That would mean the south and southwest in summer would be where major tire concerns would likely develop.

Make the dealer change the tires if you want that peace of mind. Or go to a tire shop where you are and get the tires you want.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Arnold_Wagaman
Explorer
Explorer
Good info Thanks.
2015 Arctic Fox 22G
Heaven! My last stop.

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS ๐Ÿ˜› 2007, DD :C 2008

Arnold_Wagaman
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered from Thunder RV. Before I change the tires I was trying to find out if other owners had good luck with load range C tires. Thanks for your response.
2015 Arctic Fox 22G
Heaven! My last stop.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't pulled to Alaska, but I have zero confidence in anybody's C rated tires.

I'd go up a size and to an E rating. Enjoy that new trailer.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where did you order it? Dealer should install anything you wantmfor a price.