cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tires - Load Range D vs E

mfoster711
Explorer II
Explorer II
My trailer uses 225/75R15 load range D tires. Checked my local tire stores and all of them only had load range E tires in stock. One of the guys tried to push me into getting load range E because "they are a much higher load rating and can handle a lot more weight" and he questioned why I didn't just want the load range E tires. I told him I did not want load range E for several reasons:
  • Load range E tires have to be inflated to 80 PSI and might cause a rougher ride
  • my wheels are not rated for load range E
  • I would also need to replace my spare to ensure I don't mix load ranges

He was polite after that and ordered some load range D tires which will be in this week.

Truth being told, my wheels might be rated to handle load range E. I just didn't want the load range E tires because I thought it would be overkill for my trailer and may cause a rougher ride. My max trailer weight is 7500 lbs so I could actually use load range C and be just fine.

I am just curious how many of you would have just gone ahead and took the load range E tires they had in stock. Do you think it would make a difference in the ride?
2015 Ford F150 King Ranch
2014 Outback Terrain 250TRS

Previously:
2007 Ford F250 Diesel
2009 Jayco Eagle 30.5 BHS Super Lite 5th Wheel
34 REPLIES 34

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
To clarify, you told the tire shop rep your wheels were not rated to handle LR E, but they might be rated for LR E? Why not just tell him "No. Get LR D?"

Me. I want the toughest trailer tires I can find and unfortunately in 14s it's LR D. So, since you are asking, I think you were wrong.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
If you installed "E" tires you could still inflate them based on the load they're carrying, not necessarily 80 PSI. It is a heavier tire and can handle more load, but should also last longer and provide that extra edge in tire safety. Regardless, I hope any tire you're installing on your TT are not China bombs. If so, cancel the tires and get a different ST tire, i.e. Maxxis.
Also, be sure they get balanced.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

wrgrs50s
Explorer
Explorer
Most everyone with D's want to switch to E's just for a little more comfort knowing they are a little stronger tire. To each his own on that theory, it could be argued all day.
Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

wrgrs50s
Explorer
Explorer
Most everyone with D's want to switch to E's just for a little more comfort knowing they are a little stronger tire. To each his own on that theory, it could be argued all day.
Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know.

As for the rougher ride, you don't have to inflate a tire to its max. But, the E's may have a stiffer sidewall. I wouldn't sweat the spare. How often would you need that??
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman