cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

todd engineering pc30b power source batt charger/pwr supply

daheada11
Explorer
Explorer
todd engineering pc30b pwr supply battery charger/pwr source . what would be a good replacement for this piece of you know what.as they are out of business and i cant repair it.any suggestions would be appreciated.also what to stay away from.
12 REPLIES 12

westend
Explorer
Explorer
You're very welcome. Glad it turned out good for you.
The Todd power supplies are posted about here, mostly not working correctly. Good choice on upgrading.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

daheada11
Explorer
Explorer
all done works great ,thanks again for the info.i put in a reciprocal with no switch .your right this unit is protected so why give it another place to possibly fail at some point.thanks for the advise.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
daheada11 wrote:
should i also install a switch to shut it off at or not necessary/over kill
Your call. A switched receptacle with indicator lamp could be a good choice. It does add one more point to fail and the converter circuit is already protected and switched by the circuit breaker. I think a lot of converters are using just a wire set with plug, now. If you support the wire for the converter close to the receptacle, there shouldn't be much worry about it coming loose.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

daheada11
Explorer
Explorer
should i also install a switch to shut it off at or not necessary/over kill

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest to install new NMMB (Romex) and install a receptacle. Since you don't know the existing wire size, we don't either. A new piece of Romex is inexpensive, and if you install it yourself, you'll know it's right.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

daheada11
Explorer
Explorer
finally purchased a new progressive dynamics 9260 converter.found i have one problem .the old one was hard wired ,the new one comes with a plug on it ,i dont want to mess with the warranty by cutting the plug. looks like who ever built this RV cut the plug end off of the old unit and hard wired it directly to the breaker box.should i do the same thing except with romex wire and put a reciprocal on the other end so i could just plug in. reason of changing the wire ,is because the old unit was a 30amp this new unit is a 60 amp .any suggestions or different ideas would be a great help.or can i use the existing wire that was hard wire and cut the end and put a reciprocal.would it be thick enough thank you mike

daheada11
Explorer
Explorer
THANK YOU all for the advise, first thing monday morning i will be on the hunt for a new PD converter.my tt has been parked for a while due to this problem.we love to camp and our tt has always been plugged in never had any issues,until this and a small leak in frt behind one of the lights.is it a bad thing to have it plugged in all the time.i have asked in the past and got mixed opinions .but nobody ever told us why it would be bad to keep it plugged in.how else would you keep the batteries charged ,also like the fridge on and let the a/c cycle a bit if parked for a while.

Majja13
Explorer
Explorer
My WFCO was not performing well so I upgraded to the pd9260 and have not looked back. This unit is awesome it does a proper bulk charge to get the batteries at 90% and then trickles them up to 100%. And then has a built in float to keep them maintained at 100%, however I keep my trailer plugged in when not in use.
2015 GMC Sierra 2500hd 6.0 w/4:10 rear end
2006 SkyLine Weekender 180
1200/12000 Equal-i-zer WDH

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
See my post here for recommendation.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
The charge wizard is very important. I just sold my TT of ten years with a pair of Trojan 125's 6 volt flood batteries and they were still going strong. It was a no brainer to do the same set up on our new TT.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Contact RANDY at BEST CONVERTERs and tell him you want a PD4600 or PD9200 series smart mode converter/charger unit. Smart Mode converter/chargers take care of your batteries for you.

DO NOT let Randy sell you a WFCO product...

If you are planning on increasing batteries in the near future try to get enough DC AMPS to allow for around 20AMPS per battery... i.e. if you want to use a couple of GC2 6VDC batteries in series get at least a 45AMP Converter/charger model.

I use 3EA standard issue GP24 Interstate 85AH batteries in my setup and I use a PD9260C (60AMP)Smart Mode Converter/charger.

I need to be able to recharge my batteries to their 90% SOC in as quick as I can which will be three hours of generator run time when camping off the power grid. I connect my trailer shore power cable directly to my 2KW Generator using a RV30A-15A adapter (WALMART) to do this.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
daheada11 wrote:
todd engineering pc30b pwr supply battery charger/pwr source . what would be a good replacement for this piece of you know what.as they are out of business and i cant repair it.any suggestions would be appreciated.also what to stay away from.

Amen to the TODD Engineering POS. I had one on a Jayco fail one month after warranty ended.

I think that that best converter on the market is the Progressive Dynamics with the charge wizard built in. My opinion is based on performance. My batteries are always charged. The converter is silent.
MM49