cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel Trailer Rubber Roof Repair Options. Help needed ASAP

murfx2004
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, everyone. My name is Alex and I'm new to the forum. I picked up a 2001 Coachmen Catalina 26 foot travel trailer with slide out back in September. I've been full-timing in it since then and making minor repairs as needed. While I was setting up a tarp to cover the slide out (because I need a new seal and it leaks a bit), I noticed that there were a few soft spots on the roof. Some spots are worse than others and the wood is so rotted underneath that the rubber roof is just suspended on it. This poses a problem for me as I live in New Jersey and we are bound to get snow, which I'm sure this roof won't be able to support. The roof itself is not leaking at all right now.

What are the repair options here other than replacing the whole roof? I have seen some people peel back the roof and replace the rotted wood, then glue it back down and seal it. I thought about that, but this is in several spots, not all near the edge. I can't think of much else besides tossing some plywood on top and hoping for the best.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
18 REPLIES 18

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a new Rhino Coatings roof installed last year, and I think you would be wasting your time looking into it or the Roof Armor coating because neither vendor is going to apply the coating over a rotted roof. They will insist on repairing the structure first.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

murfx2004
Explorer
Explorer
No offense taken. I should have looked it over more carefully, but I've learned the hard way. Does the liquid roof dry hard or rubbery at all or is it mostly just a sealer? There are two spots that are like a trampoline, where the rubber sags in the middle when lightly pushed and then springs back. Also, I could be wrong about the roof leaking, but I don't experience any drips. It makes sense that it must leak somewhere for the wood underneath to rot out. My goal is to make it through the winter and then probably pick up a camper that's in better shape since it's probably not worth replacing the roof on this, even if I do it myself. The RV Roof Armor seems promising compared to total replacement, but the fact that there are no prices listed online and they send the technician out to apply it means it'll definitely be over budget for me.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I think you may be wrong about the roof not leaking, unless you made some repairs on it. You may not see any water from the ceiling because it either sits on top of the ceiling panels or exits inside a wall.

If you do just want to slap a band-aid on it to get through Winter, I'd suggest 6 mil polyethylene and secure that onto the roof with some overhang over the walls. If you get black plastic and have light snowfalls, a lot of what falls may melt and runoff.

An alternative to replacing the rubber membrane is to use a purpose-made roof coating that is similar to truck bed liner. It is more expensive than a new rubber membrane but some folks are having real good luck with the coatings.

roof armor
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
No offense but you should of looked before you aquired the camper... It will be expensive repair and probably not worth the price of the trailer.. If your handy you can do it yourself. But if you never done it before it will be a daunting task..

My old coachmen had a small spot with no wood in the corner ( 2003) and I just liquid roofed it and put eternabond tape over that part with no wood..

I got rid of that trailer as there was mold in the walls from that leak and it was a health hazard.. I disclosed all this to the new owner...

It it dont leak dont worry about it...

How bad can it be that you dont think it will hold up snow?
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh