cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip to freezing area for a month - concerns

Well, work has been very poor for me locally where I live. Overall economy is quite down compared to years ago. I have found that it is only the beginning of the winter season and I have run out of work.

So, I decided to head to Calgary Alberta, with my TT in tow and work my butt off for at least a month to catch up, and put something into the reserves for the rest of the winter.

Not exactly something I want to do but I have to.

I'm not overly concerned about keeping the inside of my TT warm - I will find a place to plug in and run a small heater to supplement the furnace. I'll likely go through a lot of propane, but thats ok too.

I have been looking at the road conditions from the BC coast to Alberta. Not too good right now. Lots of snow on the roads and more coming. My truck is 4 wheel drive and my tires have nearly 80,000 miles on them. Going to cure that tomorrow morning with 6 new Michelins.(LTX M&S2)
Tires on the TT are like new.
Hopefully the trip through the mountains goes well. Just have to take it slow and careful.

When I'm in Calgary the temperature will likely be swinging from below freezing to sometimes above freezing. More likely more freezing than not when I get into December. I'm thinking about my waste tanks. Gotta use them but I'm thinking I may get a freezeup in the dump pipes and gate valves.

I am thinking of getting a heat tape and wrapping up the area to keep it from freezing. Have any of you done this? If so, how did it work?

I thought maybe I could find some quick and easy way to skirt the trailer in but I will be moving around a lot, taking it with me from jobsite to jobsite.

What do you guys think?

I don't want to get motels - too expensive and I hate motels.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com
17 REPLIES 17

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Bob,
I haven't done it yet since I don't need to face the Winter in the TT but I have plans for dealing with the waste tank. The best solution I could come up with is to build a frame around the tanks, install heating tape of choice (I plan to use gutter de-icing cable), and insulate the tank frame. The drain pipes will get a wrap of conventional pipe heating cable and a wrap of insulation. I already have a switched GFCI receptacle in an all-weather box mounted on the frame.
I figured that even if I choose to park without AC available, the AC heat cables will eventually thaw the slush out of the drains. I do have an inverter with solar so may be able to keep everything from becoming a giant ****sickle.

Good luck on your trip!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

GENECOP
Explorer II
Explorer II

GENECOP
Explorer II
Explorer II
Spend a couple of bucks and a few hours, here is a good online resource......you will be fine.

http://www.ultraheat.com/