cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used camper with larger kitchen?

BayouGrande
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, new member here. My wife and I are in our early thirties and are considering moving off our boat for part of the year and into a travel trailer. I'm just starting to look at used trailers (<$15000), but most seem to have even less kitchen work space than our boat!

Any suggestions for brands or models that feature a full size queen bed and a kitchen designed to be used daily? I've seen one or two with kitchen islands. Any input on layout with an island?

Good interior light, good use of space, and a reputation for longevity would be nice as well. We will tow with a 2500 diesel so weight or fifth wheel versus bumper isn't much of a concern.

I understand this is a broad request and there may be countless models that would work. I'm just trying to get a feel for what the options may be. Thanks in advance and I look forward to contributing!
8 REPLIES 8

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Remember that with a Porta Potti, you do NOT need to move the RV or take it to dump the black tank as you only need to take the bottom half anywhere ot to wherever to dump it! Could it be any easier or be more versatile???

Inquiring minds want to know!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
How much black water there is per week depends on how much you use to flush with. The human contribution is the lesser amount in the tank for most RV'ers with flush water being the greater. That said, you do need to use solids breakdown chemicals and enough flush water to breakdown the solids and limit the solids buildup under where the toilet dumps into the black tank.

I can only speak for us two as we generally put about 10 - 12 gallons into our black tank per week on average as we are careful. The black tank in our 29' Carriage 5th wheel is 40 gallons so it usually would last an honest 3 weeks before needing dumping. Longer than how long the gray tank will last before dumping and why we made some very simple cheap changes for our waste water system tank usage.

Removed the RV toilet (2 nuts and unscrew the water line at the joint and plug the RV supply line so water won't run out) and made a 5" high riser platform for where it used to sit out of 3/4" plywood with 2 X 6 cut down frame under it and a good looking 1 X 1-1/4" border around the top side nailed and glued. Sanded smooth, nail holes filled and painted to match the floor so it looks like it's OEM.

Had cut about a 7" hole in the middle of the top of the riser for access before assembly. Placed a plastic cap over the RV sewer opening and Gorilla taped it down so no liquids or smell could escape. Used the existing RV toilet threaded studs thru "L" brackets over the studs and the brass nuts on those studs to secure the riser in place.

We use a 5 gal tall off the shelf Thedford Porta Potti that sits on and confined by the riser top side border for our toilet and it's perfect as it has a swing out dump spout on the detachable bottom half waste tank for dumping in any toilet or even a pit toilet etc anywhere. No bad smells as you use chemicals which neutralize and breakdown the solids and NEVER need gloves. Even fuel stations as we have never have we been refused yet ever and never have spilled a drop with the spout or get any on your hands. So much easier and cleaner that dumping the black tank at a dump station that so many mess up.

Now, we have about double the gray tank capacity by simply adding an off the shelf RV gate valve which twists on just like the sewer dump hose does and the sewer dump hose twists on the other side of the added valve for dumping the now 2 tanks as each has it's own tank sliding gate valve. Leave both the tanks valves open and you now have double the gray water capacity. If needed, in an emergency, can go out and close the prior black tank valve and dump the Porta Potti in the floor black waste hole and it's just like when it was first built.

You have added no holes in your RV nor defaced anything and in minutes can change the whole system back to OEM for resale. The top flush tank holds about 3 gallons so you'll know how much water you have added by how often you need to refill it. WE need to about every 10 days for just the 2 of us.

Another huge advantage is that we do the very same thing on our Lance TC as we use the same Porta Potti it in the winter time too when it's freezing outside and the TC sits with no heat on when parked at home. Simply by using buy anywhere cheap off the shelf standard vehicle windshield washer fluid that has alcohol in it for freeze protection in the top flush tank prevents any freezing of the waste contents. All those windshield gallon plastic bottles have the freeze protection level on the label. Even if it could freeze, it would only be a slush. Been in the U.P. of Michigan and up in Ontario Canada in the winter in below zero temps and never had any ice in the waste tank and the heat wasn't on in the TC while we were on a 3 day train tour. Never at home in Michigan either.

Toilet is always ready to use anytime anywhere too and no matter the temp. Cold seat? No problem as you sit simply on the seat with your pants on for a couple minutes which warms it before dropping your drawers and getting serious! Worried about the toilet tipping over when traveling on a bad road? Simply put a adequate screw eye in the rear of the riser and either use a Velcro strap thru the PP handle and the screw eye to prevent tipping or any other type hold in place strap or rope etc as most any method will work and remember that the riser is bolted down!

Just some ideas for real versatility for you...
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Even on a 30 gallon black tank you should be able to go a week for 2 people.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

BayouGrande
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, all! Great advice in response to a very broad question!

From what I'm seeing online, it looks like we'll be between 26 and 34 feet or thereabouts.

We always anchor out in our boat, so I suspect we will opt for cheaper or more remote options in the trailer. This means "boondocking"? I'm comfortable calculating our water, grey water, and propane useage but we have composting toilets on the boat so I have no idea how to calculate black water. How much black water capacity is needed for a week for two people.

Thanks for all the tips on what to look for. Sounds exactly like a boat, including the awful tires on trailers!

ChuckV1
Explorer
Explorer
Look on https://www.rvtrader.com/ they have numbers of used as well as new 5th wheels...The great thing about RV trader is that most dealers on their have numbers of pictures and you can pic your price 🙂

One of the biggest problems here is like buying a car or truck everyone brand is the best and everyone else brand is junk Ugh

Some of the better brands are Space Craft, Solitude, Jayco, Thor, heartland, keystone etc, on RV trader the site will ask you how much you want to pay along with what type of trailer and you can shop by brand ...

Once you find what you think you like in the price range then you can always ask on here what people think. But get set because again there will be people on here that tell you that the 5th wheel your looking at is juck and other will say that they really loved theirs but wanted a new trailer with more upgrades.
You sort of have to pick thought the noise of all of that and decide for yourself what you think people are saying good or bad about a unit...

Most of the older 5th wheels with have smaller refrigerators not the larger 8cub ft models, but living on a boat you should be use to such, lots have center island with sinks in them.

I would not be sacred of the 5th wheels with kitchens in the slides, they have far more room and there is nothing wrong with that. If both side open up, the kitchen and the dinning room across from it you will think your living in a palace you have so much room LOL

Be very careful of tires, make sure that they are no old (5 or 6 years old) also that they are not the china bomb (cheap tires), make sure by looking down the side of the trailer that the tires themselves line up straight and not one or the other is bowed out (this means bent axle)...

There is a hundred other things just like a boat to look at and you can find many lists and people telling you what to look for, tires, bent axles, cracked frames, rot, delamination are just some of the major ones ...

There seems to be allot of RV parks near the bigger city that have full timers in them, so if you plan on staying a number of months in one park then you should not have a problem finding such. Or if you are moving around the country plan a day or so ahead and call around to the next RV park near where you want to stay...

Safe Travels above all

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Our current trailer had a large rear kitchen and full queen bed. But they're too new for the used market.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at about the 05 - 07 range of Nash 26X trailers. One of the reasons we bought it was it has a front kitchen with more space than most TTs unless you get really long.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Front or rear kitchens tend to give more workspace. The rear of a TT also gets the most movement so things do get josteled. Islands free some space but usually include appliances being installed in slides which while common still tends to worry me. (I may just be overly cautious)
Queen beds are common but watch the length, many manufacturers install 74" long beds instead of the standard 80".
You also left the question of unit length totally open so suggestions are rather difficult to make.
If you have been living on boats you know the things to look for in build quality on the inside. On the exterior it's seals, seams, as with the boats, fit and finish is what to look for. There are a lot of video's and how to's on you tube that can help with what to look for, water damage being the main one.
You also will need to guess how you will be using the unit. Staying in RV parks always, occasionally or never, and boondocking some, most or all the time. Moving frequently or staying put for weeks at a time.
Until you make those calls and how they relate to tank sizes, storage space, region of use, whether to use a TT or 5er all are unknowns.
Go look at some, you'll get an idea of what the levels are, and then start deciding what floorplans work, and go from there.