cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WATER IN ROLLED UP AWNING

bullyus
Explorer
Explorer
Took out the trailer for first time this weekend. When I went to open the awning I almost wrecked the awning arms and my shoulder trying to lift the arms for opening. Once I got it to open there was gallons of water in the rolled up fabric. Beats me how this can fill sitting there. The amount of water was huge. Any ideas why this happens and is there a cure for this problem. It is not a new problem for me but really filled with water this time. Thanks ..Appreciate any ideas..Bullyus
2003 KOMFORT 25TQSG TRAILER
2000 GMC 2500 6.0 liter 4:10 axles
PRODIGY
1 WIFE
1 SMALL DOG
21 REPLIES 21

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
micahtuyls wrote:
I am a newbie to the sport of camping and purchased a 2005 26' Keystone Springdale to see if our family liked camping. Well, I kept the awning open during a huge rain storm and I think it filled up with water and collapsed. It looks like all the support hardware is fine, however the roller tube bent in half (it must be hollow aluminium) and fell to the ground. I would like to replace just the roller tube and fabric (original) any idea where to start? Lots of places online to buy fabric but can't seem to find the roller. Also, I assume there are many types of rollers, How do I find an exact replacement so I don't have to buy all new hardware? Thanks for your help.....

Roller tubes are readily available from various sources, including Amazon. You will get more responses if you start a new thread to ask your question, rather than post it in this thread.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
micahtuyls wrote:
Also, I assume there are many types of rollers, How do I find an exact replacement so I don't have to buy all new hardware? Thanks for your help.....

You live in Florida ?
Just throw a rock in any direction and you are likely to hit an RV dealer who would be happy to help you out. 😉

If you see a dealer the odds are:
It will cost you a bit more
and
It will be right the first time.

No guarantee mind you but better odds.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

micahtuyls
Explorer
Explorer
I am a newbie to the sport of camping and purchased a 2005 26' Keystone Springdale to see if our family liked camping. Well, I kept the awning open during a huge rain storm and I think it filled up with water and collapsed. It looks like all the support hardware is fine, however the roller tube bent in half (it must be hollow aluminium) and fell to the ground. I would like to replace just the roller tube and fabric (original) any idea where to start? Lots of places online to buy fabric but can't seem to find the roller. Also, I assume there are many types of rollers, How do I find an exact replacement so I don't have to buy all new hardware? Thanks for your help.....

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
West Coast Canuck wrote:
I have a auto dump power awning on my X213, I found out the 2nd year we owned it that I could tilt the awning so it would not puddle.

Were talking when its rolled up.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

West_Coast_Canu
Explorer
Explorer
I have a auto dump power awning on my X213, I found out the 2nd year we owned it that I could tilt the awning so it would not puddle.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
drsteve wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
What do you mean by trying to lift the arms for opening ? On my awning I just unlock it and roll it out. I don't do any lifting until I have it out. By then any water in it has fallen out. There is never much water in it. Just enough to make it moldy. lol

On some older style awnings, the arms had to be lifted off of a roof anchor before you could unroll the canvas. There are a couple of different systems.

Thank You.

bullyus
Explorer
Explorer
I do have the rain gutters installed. Will see what happens with a small slope to front when parked. Much appreciated.......Bullyus
PRODIGY
1 WIFE
1 SMALL DOG

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
You could install the RV rubber rain gutter to divert roof runoff away from the awning.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

tfm
Explorer
Explorer
My awning used to collect water. I when to Lowe's and bought 2 sections of 5" x 10' vinyl gutter. I put them over the awning making sure they extended past the ends of the awning a foot or so and over lapped in the middle. Secured with a bungee around the exposed end of the roller. Got 3" of rain...unrolled to find a completely dry awning.
Mobile Alabama
2013 F150 5.0 Crew Cab
2016 Salem Cruise Lite 253RLXL

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:

What do you mean by trying to lift the arms for opening ? On my awning I just unlock it and roll it out.

Which is the most common arrangement.
From his description, he must have something entirely different.

The looser the wrap, the more water it will retain.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

bullyus
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I will park the trailer with the front slanted down and see what happens. Appreciate all your replies. Bullyus
PRODIGY
1 WIFE
1 SMALL DOG

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whenever it rains my awning draws water into the roll. It settles into the bottom of each layer and creates a lovely dirt streak with each turn as it enrolls.

The amount of water is more like rain dripping than a flood. It is annoying but I suppose it what happens when the awning is mounted under the roof gutter.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
What do you mean by trying to lift the arms for opening ? On my awning I just unlock it and roll it out. I don't do any lifting until I have it out. By then any water in it has fallen out. There is never much water in it. Just enough to make it moldy. lol

On some older style awnings, the arms had to be lifted off of a roof anchor before you could unroll the canvas. There are a couple of different systems.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 21ft awning used to collect water because it would sag when rolled up. I installed a center support to hold up the middle of the awning when rolled up and it eliminated 90% of the water. You can eliminate all the water by storing the trailer with the nose up or down. this will let the water drain out.

Not sure why you had an issue after you had it rolled out?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!