cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WDH with sawy control, best bang for buck?

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to replace the Husky I have that works flawlessly with my horse trailer, but not so much with my new TT. Since it is already setup for my HT, it does not like the new trailer, it sits too high(who knew the TT would be lower than the HT), which may or may not have contributed to the sway I experienced today in very strong cross winds.

So I am looking to replace it with one that has built in active sway. Which works better, Friction or cam? I hear Equ-Li-Zer is good, but is it worth the $600+ cost, or are there lower priced ones that are just as effective in reducing crosswind sway? I could just take my Husky apart and reconfigure it for the TT, and get a friction sway control for it, but then I have to worry about disconnecting it when backing up, and forget about it one time and I could damage something.

Are there any I should avoid?
25 REPLIES 25

fdwt994
Explorer
Explorer
My Equal-I-zer is far and away superior to the traditional chain / friction hitch that I used previously. I've truly noticed a difference. We paid about $450 installed for the 10K model so it's been well worth the money.
2018 F250 6.2 Crew Cab
2018 Salem Hemisphere GLX 312QBUD
A family who loves to camp!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I had a standard, old stye Reese (with the chain on the bar type) with a separate friction sway bar. After 10 years of towing 3 different campers, the hitch head bent which resulted in me searching for a replacement.

I went with the 4-point Equal-i-zer and after the initial learning curve, I actually like it much better than the old style Reese with sway bar.

Both did their job very well. I never experienced sway. I think 99% of that is a tribute to the tow vehicle (3500 dully's)

But the Equal-i-zer is so much easier and faster to hitch up, I'd never go back to the bar with chain models ever again.

I do not notice any noise from my Equal-i-zer at all. Occasionally, I'll hear a pop, but no groaning sounds like I got from my old Reese.

I do have the inserts that rest on the L - brackets that helps reduce sound too.

Face it, in order for the sway to work, those bars need that friction... metal against metal resistance. And yes, that will cause some moaning and groaning. When I hear the popping sound, I know it's working! When I don't hear it, I begin to wonder if everything is OK. It always is, I just fret over nothing I suppose.

I favor the Equal-i-zer and have been very happy with it. Once installed, hitching is very easy, just crank up the trailer tongue high enough so the bars just slip over the L - bracket on the tongue so you don't have to fight with that leverage bar, and it's extremely simple and fast to hitch. I've never had sway with this camper, truck and WD system.

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
I was told to look into Blue Ox by the one RV place, and looks like its a decent setup. Now to find it for a decent price. Thanks.

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
X3 for Blue Ox Swaypro
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
X2 for Blue Ox sway pro

PatRenee
Explorer
Explorer
We have 10,000 lb. TT and I use Husky Centerline W/1200 lb. bars.... It works great...backs great too...

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
Blue Ox sway pro is very easy to set up, no noise during operation , nothing to detach during back up, and no grease on the outside of the bars.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

pawpaw47
Explorer
Explorer
X2 for Equalizer!
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2015 Starcraft AR-One 18QB
2014 GMC w/6.2L & max tow pkge.

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Equalizer setup which has served me well over the years. The noise mentioned by another poster is minimal but Equalizer has made a plastic piece that slides down over the L brackets on the trailer tongue where the bars attach. I cant speak for any other WD setups but as I said mine has done me well.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never had a problem with a properly set up standard WD hitch and standard friction bars.
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

busterbrown73
Explorer
Explorer
I ran through all the options before I picked up my 35 foot Keystone Bullet TT three months ago. The Equal-i-zer 4 point, Reese dual cam, and Blue Ox Sway Pro are just some of the mid-level products on the market that have great reviews.

Personally, I wanted something that was easy to mount and unmount from the TV and trailer. I also didn't want the grease and noise issues from the Equal-i-zer. So, I opted for the Blue Ox and it's been smooth sailing. It takes less than 5 minutes to hook up the hitch and sway is negligible. It doesn't completely remove it but it works extremely well. Plus, there is no need to remove anything while backing up.

In fact, I originally bought the Eas-lift as it had great reviews on Amazon. But the more I researched the WDH topic, I soon realized that active sway control is so much better than the passive friction arms. Definitely worth that extra $300. I still have the Eas-lift in my garage unopened and need to sell it.