cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight Distribution vs Sway Bars

Larryzv7
Explorer
Explorer
I am told that some people have both a weight distribution hitch and a sway bar for their travel trailer; while others have told me that you only need one or the other. I just purchased a new trailer; GVWR 9k and it fish tails when I tow on the highway. What is your opinion on weight distribution hitches verses sway bars?

I sold my 5th wheel and downsized to a 30 ft. travel trailer. With a 5th wheel trailer you do not need sway bars or weight distribution hitches, so this is all new to me. Thanks in advance for your input.:)
2012 Ford F-150 3.5L w/Ecoboost
2012 Heartland Prowler 5th Wheel
31 REPLIES 31

jim1521
Explorer
Explorer
I have both a WDS and 2 friction sway bars on my 37' TT. It weighs close to 10,000 lbs.

If you are fishtailing, you are probably too light on the tongue weight. Be careful, as that (light tongue weight) can get you into trouble VERY quickly. You want your tongue weight to be between 10-15% of your overall trailer weight.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some weight distribution systems like Equalizer also have sway control built into the design, some are simply weight distribution and you need to add on a sway control bar.

That said if you fishtail down the road then you have something fundamentally wrong and need to fix that BEFORE adding weight distribution/anti-sway as those systems should help with occasional problems like bow wake from a passing semi or a sudden gust, not try to correct for problems like too little tongue weight or overloaded rear axle tires.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH