cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What good is a 56 f100.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I came across an opportunity to buy an all original 1956 f100. The present owner has owned the truck since 1957. It has seldom been stored outside and still runs very well. It was used as a farm truck during it's early years and has never had any body work done to it... so it's got a few minor bumps and bruises. If I put money into it I'll want independent front and rear suspension, AC, 300 or so ponies under the hood... I'll want to do things right. In a way it seems a shame to hot rod an all original truck. I really don't know much about the cost of taking on a project like this but my guess is that if I hire out the work I'll end up dumping 70k into this truck by the time I'm done. Anybody with some knowledge on the subject want to share some pointers?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5
46 REPLIES 46

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Classic Car sales

Hagerty Auto Auctions

LCM parts catalog

I would think that first of all, you have to decide the direction you want to take this project on from.

#1 putting some money in it and having something pretty cool to drive for several years to come

#2 restoring/modifying to keep for a little while and then selling it with the hopes of making some profit.

If you can turn a wrench, have the time to do the project yourself, that would be really cool. Based on what their selling for now, it wouldn't make financial sense to have someone do the work if you only plan on keeping it a few years.

If you can keep the cost of the project, including the truck, to around 30K, you should be OK
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I can't help you with the prices. My dad restored a few F 100 trucks and a panel truck many years ago. He kept them stock.

I don't like to see antique vehicles butchered but, each to their own.
It sounds like you will not be altering the body of the truck.

If you want power and a good ride, why not buy a newer truck?
Buy the F 100 and restore it as you have time/money.
There's nothing cooler than an old truck. (except a 58 Chevy Impala) :C

Keep us updated on your progress with the F 100.