cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

what RV to go with

brantlyj
Explorer
Explorer
Probably a million of these threads. Having a hard time deciding between two. Like anything there are unique things to each that we both like and dislike but in the end either would fit out needs and they are both the same price.

I'm hesitant about the Keystone because of the floor. I've read here and the Keystone forum how bad they are. But this particular model has the 50 amp and second a/c prep. Seems like a definite bonus. Plus the wide bunks. The configuration of the interior makes it feel roomier. Not sure if that's true or an illusion. Didn't have a tape measure. Comes with a larger TV. Could care less about the outdoor fireplace though. Seems kinda dumb...

For the Coachman I have three young girls. With the L shape bunks not sure if they will grow to be longer than the bunk and be uncomfortable But I could see the girls really enjoying that little nook with the cushions. Especially on rainy days Seems more upscale than the Hideout. I really haven't been able to find a lot of people talking about the Coachman's. Maybe I'm just not searching the right keywords.

Both dealers have really good reviews and I know people personally that have bought from each with positive experiences. The salesperson at each have the personality of a wet paper bag. Of course after I started talking to one at the Keystone dealer my wife walks in a recognizes a salesguy her brother went to school with. Feel bad we won't be dealing with him. Guess we could switch but that's kinda a dick move. Especially if they work on commission.

Which ever one I go with I was going to offer $20,000 plus a hitch and winterize since we would probably only get to use it once or twice still this year. Seem good?

So, anyone have any opinions?

Keystone Hideout 29DFS
https://www.imperialrvcenter.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=6915244&p=1&vc=travel%20trailer&s=Year&d=D&vt=trailer&year=2019&fr=xNewInventory

Coachman Catalina Legacy 293QBCK
https://www.plazarv.com/New-Inventory-2020-Coachmen-Trailer-Catalina-Legacy-Edition-293QBCK-Coachmen-Catalina-7339358?ref=list
4 REPLIES 4

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like both campers come with very uncomfortable furniture in the living room. Dinette tables are OK for eating, but for just relaxing, they are horribly uncomfortable as there is no where to rest your head. Same with the couches in both trailers. Now, if you can stretch out and lay on them and not have to share with anyone, then it doesn't matter. But with kids, they will be using the furniture too, and on rainy days, with the "ting-ting-ting" on the roof, it's easy to get sleepy!

Is there space for an additional television in either trailer in the master bed room?

Just looking at the Hideout photos, I get claustrophobic. The master bedroom looks cramped to me. That "hidden" pantry could be a real pain in the neck, swinging that wall out all the time. Not to mention the weight hanging on those hinges, and when bouncing down the road, that entire cabinet on henges breaks out. The bedroom door frame on our 5er broke within the first 2 weeks of ownership because we left the door in the open position and being a front living room, and bed room in the back, the bouncing literally broke the door frame. We got it fixed, and now I have a block under the door when its open so it can't bounce and break from the wall again. I can't imagine the television and fake fireplace and the weight of the wall itself on 2 or 3 or maybe at most, 4 hinges. I see particle board busting out, and then you are really screwed. I vote NO for this concept.

If I had to select between the 2, I'd pick the Coachman.

brantlyj
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
I didn't see cargo carrying capacities. I've seen some smaller trailers with such limited CCC as to be almost unusable (especially for my family as we are over-packers).

And obviously, you'll need to make sure they fit within your tow vehicle's ratings.

The manufacturers site probably has the capacityโ€™s listed. Iโ€™ll check them out.

TV will be a 2016 F250 6.2L gas. Unless I totally missed something I should be good on both payload and row capacityโ€™s.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't see cargo carrying capacities. I've seen some smaller trailers with such limited CCC as to be almost unusable (especially for my family as we are over-packers).

And obviously, you'll need to make sure they fit within your tow vehicle's ratings.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
We can't help you pick. Every brand has lemon stories and every brand has wonder stories. For me, it all comes down to floorplan and "livability" even if you're "just camping". So, here's what I see for pros + cons:

Keystone RV Hideout 29DFS:
Pros:
- the bathroom is accessible without extending slides; if you're in the potty training business, this is helpful
- I like that the couch faces the TV, watching TV looking to the left gets old
- has a pantry even if it's "hidden"
- from an emergency exit perspective, I like that it has 2 doors

Cons:
- the bunks will need sleeping bags because making beds in that hole has to stuck (when talking to my then 8 year old daughter, she didn't want to sleep in a sleeping bag and we knew she wouldn't be making the bed)
- what do the bunks have for emergency exits?

Coachman Catalina Legacy 293QBCK
Pros:
- bunks are more bed-like, letting you have more traditional bedding
- kids have their own TV for evening entertainment
- kids have a hard-door, so you can be in the living room making noise at night w/o being held hostage to them
- bathroom sink has some counterspace for toothbrushes and whatnot

Cons:
- TV is watched by looking right in the living room
- slide must be extended to get to bathroom
- I'm not seeing a real food pantry
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page