cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What Size Wire 30amp

BlueridgeCoachm
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to put a 30 amp RV plug on my garage. The service pole is about 80 feet from the garage. I was wondering was size wire I will need to support 30 amp service.
2016 Coachmen Catalina 223FB, 26ft // 2016 Ford F150 2WD Super Cab 3.5 EcoBoost Trailer Tow Pkg. 355 eLock rear diff.
28 REPLIES 28

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

And what is the voltage when the roof air conditioner is running?

GrandpaKip wrote:
I ran 10/3 about 100' from breaker box to outlet. I also use a 30' cord from camper to outlet. The voltmeter shows that I get between 118 to 122 volts.

The only time I ran the AC, the voltage stayed right at 120. I did it as a test so I would know. Where I am, 3000' on a mountain, we usually don't need the AC. In fact, my house has no AC at all. Also, there are not a whole lot of houses up here to make the voltage drop during hot spells. Above 80 is considered hot by most denizens. Then we go out on the deck and enjoy the breeze, with a glass of favorite beverage, or two.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me, I would run 8/2 or 6/2 to the outlet and be done with it. Will you plug the trailer directly into the outlet, or will you need an extension cord for the trailers shorepower cord to reach.

At 80ft 10/2 will be plenty, but I like bumping up one size.

BlueridgeCoachm
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
BlueridgeCoachmen wrote:
I would like to put a 30 amp RV plug on my garage. The service pole is about 80 feet from the garage. I was wondering was size wire I will need to support 30 amp service.

Just to be clear, are you saying that the garage currently has NO POWER ? If this is the case, then you need to install a breaker panel in the garage and the wire should be sized for AT LEAST 60A.

How far is it from the breaker panel to where you are going to place the RV outlet ?
The Garage that I park the trailer next to is just a storage building that has no power in it and I don,t need power in it. I park the camper there so it is out of the way.
2016 Coachmen Catalina 223FB, 26ft // 2016 Ford F150 2WD Super Cab 3.5 EcoBoost Trailer Tow Pkg. 355 eLock rear diff.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

And what is the voltage when the roof air conditioner is running?

GrandpaKip wrote:
I ran 10/3 about 100' from breaker box to outlet. I also use a 30' cord from camper to outlet. The voltmeter shows that I get between 118 to 122 volts.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed a 30amp outlet at my house, I would have liked a 50 amp but didn't have room in my breaker boxes for 2 breakers. I had a 60ft run and ran 8/2.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Westcoasting wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Westcoasting wrote:
I would use #8 aluminum and save a few bucks over #10 copper.

Aluminum wire has had expansion/contraction issues in the past. there have been reports of loose connections due to it. and even some fires from loose connections that build up heat. I have aluminum in my house and I need to check the connections regularly for tightness.

Best stick to copper.

You need to call in a registered electrician immediately! Your home is in danger and connections are all wrong. Please do not disregard this, aluminum wiring requires special connections and procedures. If you have been having loose connections there certainly is trouble.

It was only loose once before I moved in. and I revised my post saying the service coming in is aluminum. I check it yearly and have not found it loose since I`ve lived hear for almost 20 years!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

Westcoasting
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Westcoasting wrote:

Aluminum wire has had expansion/contraction issues in the past. there have been reports of loose connections due to it. and even some fires from loose connections that build up heat. I have aluminum in my house and I need to check the connections regularly for tightness.

Best stick to copper.

You need to call in a registered electrician immediately! Your home is in danger and connections are all wrong. Please do not disregard this, aluminum wiring requires special connections and procedures. If you have been having loose connections there certainly is trouble.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
BlueridgeCoachmen wrote:

Just to be clear, are you saying that the garage currently has NO POWER ? If this is the case, then you need to install a breaker panel in the garage and the wire should be sized for AT LEAST 60A.

How far is it from the breaker panel to where you are going to place the RV outlet ?

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Westcoasting wrote:

Aluminum wire has had expansion/contraction issues in the past. there have been reports of loose connections due to it. and even some fires from loose connections that build up heat. I have aluminum service coming into my house and I need to check the connections regularly for tightness.

Best stick to copper.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
wanderingbob wrote:
500 feet of # 6 wire is $206 at my Lowes . it will run 50 amps for 125 feet with a 3% voltage drop . Fifty amp should only cost less than fifty dollars more . For 30 amp at eighty feet # 10 will do fine .

You`ll need 4 different color of wires. so one 500 foot roll will work.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

BlueridgeCoachm
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks much for all the info.

Westcoasting
Explorer
Explorer