cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are the modern euro style travel trailers?

Proteus
Explorer
Explorer
After going to a few RV shows, it’s just incredibly frustating that we can’t seem to find a travel trailer that doesn’t look and feel like it was designed back in the 80’s.
Closest i’ve seen to what we want is Airstream, but they seem ridiculously overpriced.
Looking outside the US, of course there are some amazing options, all in the $30-40k range equivalent. Where are the US manufacturers who can come close to this?
http://www.adria-mobil.com/caravans/alpina/
or this
http://www.coachman.co.uk/vip
The fit and finish, interior quality all seem lightyears beyond what we have available here. And they’re around half the price of an equivalent Airstream
Anyone know if anyone is importing these anytime soon?
80 REPLIES 80

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Proteus wrote:
Rather frustrating that one domestic manufacturer, Airstream, knows how to do interiors properly. They're popular so clearly people like them. But those interiors aren't worth the 100k asking price. A mid-high end manufacturer like Lance should be able to do the same? Instead, we just get "grandma's kitchen"...

AS you said they are popular so they are worth it to some/many.
However like many of the Euro and Aussie models poste,
they lack slides and interior space that the majority of RV'ers are looking for.

No Europeans Do not have slides. We have multislides:h

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer

This is a nicely made trailer. Lance 1575
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Wait until the next big economic downturn and I bet you can find a nice Airstream for cheap.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Proteus wrote:
Rather frustrating that one domestic manufacturer, Airstream, knows how to do interiors properly. They're popular so clearly people like them. But those interiors aren't worth the 100k asking price. A mid-high end manufacturer like Lance should be able to do the same? Instead, we just get "grandma's kitchen"...

AS you said they are popular so they are worth it to some/many.
However like many of the Euro and Aussie models poste,
they lack slides and interior space that the majority of RV'ers are looking for.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Proteus
Explorer
Explorer

Explorer
Explorer
Yep, and it is too big for me. I go camping to be outside, not sit in a trailer. I do like the look, and love the window over the bed.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Too small and too ugly for me. I am sure it is "just right" for others.

It is like which is the best beer or hunting dog. It depends on who you ask.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Explorer
Explorer
If you want something a little more modern, check out the Little Guy Max.

Edit: Why does this site not support /timg

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
1956 called. They want their interior and styling back. :B

Lol. One person's "modern" is another person's old-fashioned.

I though "Euro" styling was an 80's thing that never really caught on. 😉

In the US. Dark interiors and poor ergonomica, build quality have never caught on here

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
Lantley wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
Lantley wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
And check out the specs on the Aussie models. They are generally narrower and shorter.

A classic case of ignorance, caravans are built using metric measure, 2390 mm being a common trailer width i.e. 7.8 feet, not chosen because it offers some magical advantage over 8' but simply because that's what works well in metric measure. As in Europe caravan owners aren't dragging around 30'+ monsters because V6 powered mid size vehicles are the preferred choice for towing, necessary because 1/2 ton and larger vehicles as we have here in N America are simply too big. You may not like it but believe it or not there is a world out there beyond the US borders where the vast majority of the world often does things differently than in the US. Get used to it. 😛

There is no ignorance they are generally narrower and shorter.
The why is really irrelevant. The euro models are smaller than US models.
I do like some of the materials and finishes they use, but at the end of the day I see the Euro units as tight and cramped vs. what we have readily available in the US.

Size is totally irrelevant You can get 35ft 5th wheelers here with Euro type interiors

Are they 35'x 102" wide with 5 slides?

Yes relative to what people NEED. That would NOT impress people here. They need something that can be easly moved from location too location. None goes to one location on holiday

I'm not sure we have 5 slide trailers here to impress anyone.There are plenty of people traveling all over the country with 40' plus trailers. These trailers routinely have 3-5 slides on them. They are moved easily from location to location with full size diesel pickup trucks.
They are not taken to just one location.
I imagine our RV's are not built/assembled as well as those down under, however I'll stick by my comments that they a generally larger and more spacious.

It is the overall package, not just slides.
In that case US trailers fail.miserably. Yes build quality, interiors , off roadability all are factors

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Lol. One person's "modern" is another person's old-fashioned.

I though "Euro" styling was an 80's thing that never really caught on. 😉

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
RobertRyan wrote:
Lantley wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
Lantley wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
And check out the specs on the Aussie models. They are generally narrower and shorter.

A classic case of ignorance, caravans are built using metric measure, 2390 mm being a common trailer width i.e. 7.8 feet, not chosen because it offers some magical advantage over 8' but simply because that's what works well in metric measure. As in Europe caravan owners aren't dragging around 30'+ monsters because V6 powered mid size vehicles are the preferred choice for towing, necessary because 1/2 ton and larger vehicles as we have here in N America are simply too big. You may not like it but believe it or not there is a world out there beyond the US borders where the vast majority of the world often does things differently than in the US. Get used to it. 😛

I do like some of the materials and finishes they use, but at the end of the day I see the Euro units as tight and cramped vs. what we have readily available in the US.

Size is totally irrelevant You can get 35ft 5th wheelers here with Euro type interiors

Yes relative to what people NEED. That would NOT impress people here. They need something that can be easly moved from location too location. None goes to one location on holiday

I'm not sure we have 5 slide trailers here to impress anyone.There are plenty of people traveling all over the country with 40' plus trailers. These trailers routinely have 3-5 slides on them. They are moved easily from location to location with full size diesel pickup trucks.
They are not taken to just one location.
I imagine our RV's are not built/assembled as well as those down under, however I'll stick by my comments that they a generally larger and more spacious.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Have you ever used a euro-RV?

Low ceilings, narrow, no slides, no air/con, cassette toilet, etc...

Have you? :h

I posted in another concurrent thread these pics of an Australian caravan ...

These beautifully constructed caravans hardly meet your erroneous description of so-called European styled campers, other than to say that slides are not favoured as they are here in N America. Quality of construction far surpasses what is produced here and even smaller units are fully featured, very often including built in washing machines, collapsing dinette table pedestals, huge windows, huge skylights, designer style lavatories that NA manufacturers could only dream of. :B The problem here is simple - NA buyers are just not willing to pay for campers of this quality. :R

Us RV interiors would have people screaming here ergonomic disasters and so dark

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
Lantley wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
For those of us with a few gray hairs, okay a lot of gray hair, the Euro-look reminds me of my mom's 1950's kitchen. Cold and sterile, full of white operating room bleakness.

But that is not the reason they are not imported. Basically the TT market wants was big as they can afford. Most of the RVs at the spring shows were 30+ foot 5vers. Great for mom, dad and two kids.

We do not have the need for smaller. We buy smaller because we like smaller or we can't afford bigger.

It is market driven and there is not enough market to entice the foreign makers.

Be safe and enjoy the journey.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.