cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which AMP service to select

barbrude
Explorer
Explorer
We're getting close to purchasing our first travel trailer and have finally figured out the best size, weight, style for our needs but now a new question has presented itself that has us rather stumped. Should we go with 30 amp or 50 amp service? Our trailer of choice is a Winnebago One 26RK with a 15k btu air conditioner. 50 amp seems like the logical choice but are we missing something? any help will be greatly appreciated!
32 REPLIES 32

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I would go with 50 even if you have only 1 AC. You may decide to add another later. We did. And we do have 50 amp.
And there have been a few times we tripped the park 30 amp breaker running 1 AC plus some other high current devices (microwave, toaster, washer/dryer, and such) when the park only had 30 amp.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Not all campgrounds have 50 amp service. If a 30 to 50 amp adapter is used, be prepared for lots of "load balancing" issues (i.e. you can use the air conditioner, but not at the same time as the microwave). I'd certainly add an autoformer to a 50 amp unit.

Surge protectors or energy management systems are a VERY good idea on a 50 amp RV. They are not needed nearly so much on a 30 amp system.

Some 50 amp high end units will come with an energy management system that may mitigate the need to be aware of what is being run.

The basic difference is that a 50 amp RV has two "legs" of power--each one is 6000 watts. A 30 amp RV has a maximum of only 3600 watts, but will be designed with that level of power "in mind".

Since my 30 amp class C was out of warranty when I purchased it, I've made some upgrades allowing me to use up to 65 amps, by using auxiliary shore power cords in addition to the OEM 30 amp.

The real answer boils down to your camping style. If you plug in where there is only a 15 amp circuit (for example at a friends home), then it may be better to have a 30 amp rv--rather than a 50 amp (which is really 100 amps).

If you plan on always being in commercial campgrounds then 50 amp allows more flexibility (at least until the warranty period is over).

If you choose 50 amp, immediately add an autoformer and a top of the line energy management system from progressive dynamics.

If you choose 30 amp, then probably those two items are not a needed expense.

Since I most often boondock 30 amp meets my own needs better.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
If your planning on adding the second A/C then yes for sure. Otherwise it's really not needed....
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad