cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Picking up new TT in 2 Days.

stahrmcgee
Explorer
Explorer
I have been reading this forum as a lurker, non member for the last 4 years, from when we were shopping for our first camper until now and wanted to write a note to thank you all for the wisdom expressed in the posts.

After I got back from Kuwait in November and before the birth of our third daughter, we traded our beloved Jayco 23B and ordered our new Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8311SS. We are now just a mere 2 days from pick-up and both my DW and I are jumping out of our shoes with excitement to get the new rig. Fingers crossed that the TV will be good with it (Max tow package >11,000 lbs capacity), but if a new TV is necessary, that will be the next adventure.

Is there anyone else out there eagerly awaiting their new camper?
2014 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8311SS *Diamond Package
Reese DC Hitch
2010 F150 Platinum(Max Tow, 3.73)
2010 Jayco 23B(gone, but not forgotten)
Me: Civil servant of our great nation
DW of 26 years: Teacher
DD1 15yo
DD2 10yo
DD3 5yo
Too many blessings to count
12 REPLIES 12

stahrmcgee
Explorer
Explorer
Spappy wrote:
Congrats!! on trailer, daughter, and coming home! I'm not awaiting a new trailer, but I'm counting the days to my first trip. Enjoy. ๐Ÿ™‚
Spap

Thank you, we didn't find out if it would be a boy or a girl, was hoping for a boy, and am very pleased with our happy, healthy and might I say incredibly well behaved (for 4 months) little girl. I also hear there is a special place reserved in Heaven for fathers of 3 girls... ๐Ÿ˜‰

BTW, saw your site and it looks nice. Will your UAV have a permanent space in the camper also?
Reese DC Hitch
DD1 15yo
DD2 10yo
DD3 5yo

stahrmcgee
Explorer
Explorer
kknowlton wrote:
Congrats on your new rig! We just traded our "big rig" (slightly smaller & lighter than your new one) for a smaller camper, and picked up the new one last week. We're both getting pretty antsy waiting to be able to go camping. ๐Ÿ™‚

Hope you find your current TV will pull it ok, but if not, have fun with the search for a new one!

Thanks, and congrats on yours also. Is the picture the new one? If so, Very nice!
Reese DC Hitch
DD1 15yo
DD2 10yo
DD3 5yo

Spappy
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats!! on trailer, daughter, and coming home! I'm not awaiting a new trailer, but I'm counting the days to my first trip. Enjoy. ๐Ÿ™‚
Spap

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congrats on your new rig! We just traded our "big rig" (slightly smaller & lighter than your new one) for a smaller camper, and picked up the new one last week. We're both getting pretty antsy waiting to be able to go camping. ๐Ÿ™‚

Hope you find your current TV will pull it ok, but if not, have fun with the search for a new one!
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

stahrmcgee
Explorer
Explorer
spud1960 wrote:
I know your excitement, we picked up our new Coleman 297res a few weeks ago and can not wait to go camping!! Our first planned trip is May 2nd!!

Congrats! We have a driveway camp planned for 1st weekend in April and a shakedown cruise set for 2nd weekend of April regardless of weather. We had to skip camping last year as my wife was pregnant and I was out of the country for about 7 months. (no lectures on leaving a pregnant wife)
Reese DC Hitch
DD1 15yo
DD2 10yo
DD3 5yo

stahrmcgee
Explorer
Explorer
handye9 wrote:
stahrmcgee wrote:
Fingers crossed that the TV will be good with it (Max tow package >11,000 lbs capacity), but if a new TV is necessary, that will be the next adventure.

Your weakest point, most likely will be your payload (cargo capacity) of the truck.

Check the sticker on your driver side door post. Some models have as little as 1400 lbs payload.

Whatever it says for cargo capacity or payload, is the weight room you have for everything / everybody you have in or on the truck, plus the weight distributing hitch, and trailer tongue weight.

Your new trailer is over 7000 lbs empty. Loaded for camping, it could weight over 8000, with 950 - 1000 lbs of tongue weight. Then you have to add 100 lbs for the hitch.

Thank you Master Chief, former HM3 here, only 5 yrs active though.

You bring up a good point. It should have a capacity for around 1900 lbs, but I am going to check next time I get in the truck to be sure. Tongue weight is about 650 or so, but still need to factor in other cargo, which I haven't yet.

I didn't have too many worries with the old 23B, but will have to be careful now.
Reese DC Hitch
DD1 15yo
DD2 10yo
DD3 5yo

spud1960
Explorer
Explorer
I know your excitement, we picked up our new Coleman 297res a few weeks ago and can not wait to go camping!! Our first planned trip is May 2nd!!

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
stahrmcgee wrote:
Fingers crossed that the TV will be good with it (Max tow package >11,000 lbs capacity), but if a new TV is necessary, that will be the next adventure.

Your weakest point, most likely will be your payload (cargo capacity) of the truck.

Check the sticker on your driver side door post. Some models have as little as 1400 lbs payload.

Whatever it says for cargo capacity or payload, is the weight room you have for everything / everybody you have in or on the truck, plus the weight distributing hitch, and trailer tongue weight.

Your new trailer is over 7000 lbs empty. Loaded for camping, it could weight over 8000, with 950 - 1000 lbs of tongue weight. Then you have to add 100 lbs for the hitch.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats and enjoy, you should be excited for sure.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
We just picked up our new Gray Wolf 26BH 3 weeks ago. Now if the weather would break enough to take it out on our first trip of the season.

stahrmcgee
Explorer
Explorer
clubhouse wrote:
Very nice trailer. We too are a family of 5 looked at the 8311SS. Really liked the floor plan of the 8311, but stuck with Jayco and the single slide 29QBH just to keep the length down a bit. Got it in Feb, so I know the excitement you must be feeling.

However ---- Family of 5, 35' TT likely with 1000+ lb TW and 8000+ lbs once loaded being towed by a F150.

Let congratulate you in advance on your new TV :-). I suspect it won't be long before your shopping again ๐Ÿ™‚

Well, you could be right, no denying that, in fact, that is how I ended up with the new TV in 2010. Hoping I don't need to trade, but I checked out the trade in value and was pleasantly surprised, so if it becomes necessary, we will make it happen with little problem.

Congrats on your new camper also. We loved the Jayco and our dealer was top notch. We were really close to buying the Jayco Eagle 314BHDS, but went for the Rockwood to try out the competition.
Reese DC Hitch
DD1 15yo
DD2 10yo
DD3 5yo

clubhouse
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice trailer. We too are a family of 5 looked at the 8311SS. Really liked the floor plan of the 8311, but stuck with Jayco and the single slide 29QBH just to keep the length down a bit. Got it in Feb, so I know the excitement you must be feeling.

However ---- Family of 5, 35' TT likely with 1000+ lb TW and 8000+ lbs once loaded being towed by a F150.

Let congratulate you in advance on your new TV :-). I suspect it won't be long before your shopping again ๐Ÿ™‚