cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are my trailer tires so hard to find in San Antonio?

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to take the longest trip I've ever taken with the Colby T this summer. I was checking my tires today and noticed that one of them was made in 2009, even though the Colby T was purchased brand new four years ago. It had been the spare until a few months ago when I had a blow out and used it thinking it was as new as the one I bought for a replacement. The tread is fine and all, but I just don't like the idea of traveling across the country with a seven-year-old tire. I've seen what a blowout can do. I was extremely lucky that I didn't suffer more damage the last time. There was some "minor" shredding of the undercoat, but none of my pipes or hoses where damaged.

I decided to go ahead and replace the tire. I started calling around town looking for one in stock somewhere. Even tried the Goodyear RV tire site to see where they think it is available. No luck. I remember having a similarly hard time finding one that last time.

I ended up ordering one from Amazon already mounted on a rim for the same price it would have cost to have one shipped to a local store. It kind of scares me about being on the road. How long will I be stuck looking for a new tire, if I need one during a trip?

Has anyone else had trouble finding tires? Or, is that just the price I have to pay for having such a little trailer?
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos
17 REPLIES 17

Shavano
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like there's plenty of answers on this post & I've had to delete some answers for violating the forum rule about advertising.

Thread closed.

'15 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
'18 Forest River Avenger :C "Dolci"
Kipor KGE3500Ti

CHECK OUT THE RV.NET BLOGS!!

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
mhardin wrote:
Discount Tire. If they don't have it, they should be able to get it overnight.

X2 and they'll match any online price. Walmart.com had the lowest price on the Carlisle tires I wanted. Discount Tire beat it.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Tom_Trostel
Explorer
Explorer
I buy most of my tires from Tire Rack. I've had some on my front porch in 24 hrs. and never waited more than 48 hrs.

bankmule66
Explorer
Explorer
13 inch tire is probably reason hard to find

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
if they are that hard to find I would change brands

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
Is this about price or availability? Any Goodyear store should be able to get you a Marathon.

Did you buy Marathon on Amazon?

Otherwise yes you may find very few of these on the shelf and have to be ordered in. Better chance of a fresh tire that way too.

Availability. I only tried my local Goodyear store. All he told me is that they don't carry RV tires with no offer to order.

darsben1 wrote:
What is wrong with AMAZON?
They will overnight almost anywhere and you do have a spare.
Change out tire figure out where you will be the next night and have the tire shipped "hold for P/U" at the nearest UPS place.

Nothing wrong with Amazon. Just never thought about overnighting to my next stop. I'm usually just a weekender. Haven't really had to consider this type of thing. Thanks for the tip!

Huntindog wrote:
I think you need a set of tires, not just one.
I just bought one of my tires a short while back. It is practically new.

starlord wrote:
Question, did you try Crestview RV on 35 before you get to Schertz or Camping World over in New Braunfels?
No. I did not. Once I found the tire on Amazon, I was done looking.
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

starlord
Explorer
Explorer
I second the Discount Tire advice. Question, did you try Crestview RV on 35 before you get to Schertz or Camping World over in New Braunfels?

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I think you need a set of tires, not just one.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

mhardin
Explorer
Explorer
Discount Tire. If they don't have it, they should be able to get it overnight.
2013 Ford F-350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Box.
2001 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS.
2014 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ultimate.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
What is wrong with AMAZON?
They will overnight almost anywhere and you do have a spare.
Change out tire figure out where you will be the next night and have the tire shipped "hold for P/U" at the nearest UPS place.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Is this about price or availability? Any Goodyear store should be able to get you a Marathon.

Did you buy Marathon on Amazon?

Otherwise yes you may find very few of these on the shelf and have to be ordered in. Better chance of a fresh tire that way too.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
jjjandrbaker wrote:
gmw photos wrote:
Question to the original poster: what size is the tire ?

Goodyear Marathon ST185/80C R13.

In a pinch, a lot of times tires and wheels like that can be found at walmart, or if there is a farm supply store, like tractor supply, orschilin, etc.

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Check Tire Rack

Thanks for the tip. Good prices AND they find an installer for you. I will keep that in mind for the future.
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
Question to the original poster: what size is the tire ?

Goodyear Marathon ST185/80C R13.
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos