cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chevy's I4 2.7 turbo engine

Rubber_Ducky1
Explorer
Explorer
My son is looking at getting a 2019 Silverado 1500 truck. A lot of them on the lots have Chevy's new 2.7 turbo engine. This engine replaces the 4.3 V6. He won't be towing a camper with it. He is wondering about the reliability of this new engine. Right now he has a 2017 Silverado with the V6. Any info on this new engine will be greatly appreciated and I'll pass it on to him.
56 REPLIES 56

blt2ski
ppine is a troll plain and simple. Yep, wants a 1 ton short8' box truck to haul things. When a real twuck has a 20k min graw or tandem 20k drivers. His lowly 1ton is still a light duty truck.
His reply troll post never saw the light of day!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Groover wrote:
ppine wrote:
why buy a truck if it can't pull anything? Next they will try to sell you a 5 1/2 foot bed.

I am trying to figure out if you are serious or trying to make a joke. If you are serious you need to drive some of these small engines, they pull amazingly well. And, the dealers tell me that most buyers want a 5 1/2ft bed on a half ton. I had to special order my truck to get the 6 1/2ft bed.

No, it’s just his typical “If you don’t have a 1 ton solid axle diesel, you don’t have a truck.” Speech.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
ppine wrote:
why buy a truck if it can't pull anything? Next they will try to sell you a 5 1/2 foot bed.

I am trying to figure out if you are serious or trying to make a joke. If you are serious you need to drive some of these small engines, they pull amazingly well. And, the dealers tell me that most buyers want a 5 1/2ft bed on a half ton. I had to special order my truck to get the 6 1/2ft bed.

Rubber_Ducky1
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:

My son didn't buy his truck to pull anything. He had a 2017 Chevy truck before this 2019 and he didn't tow anything with it. But he does use the bed of the truck to haul things every so often.

blt2ski
ppine wrote:

Said trucks will pull more than you think! To think a right with a 300/300 turbo charger motor can't pull anything, shows how far behind your thinking is.
I'd have no issues putting 6000 behind OPs son's truck, or the Ford trucks with the turbo 4 bangers in them. They'd probably do better than my BB V8's I've had, or some of the original turbo diesels of yor in 1 tons!!!
Marty

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rubber Ducky1 wrote:
Groover wrote:
The two that I referred to are 2wd and I believe that the op's is also. That is good for one or two miles per gallon. And driving habits can make a lot difference.

My son's truck is a 4x4, double cab.

Then that is pretty good mileage for the truck. I really would like to see a direct comparison between the two engines to get a more precise comparison. I haven't found one yet.

Rubber_Ducky1
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
The two that I referred to are 2wd and I believe that the op's is also. That is good for one or two miles per gallon. And driving habits can make a lot difference.

My son's truck is a 4x4, double cab.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II

womps
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
Rubber Ducky1 wrote:
Update: My son said that his new truck is performing great for him. Right now he is averaging 24mpg highway and 20mpg city. I'll try to give further updates when he gets more miles on it.

Just for reference my brother claims 27mpg highway and 24mpg city from his 2017 F150 with 2.7 turbo 6 speed. His friend with a 2019 F150 2.7 turbo 10 speed is getting an extra mile or two per gallon. I feel sure that neither one of them is an aggressive driver so results may vary.

Well with my 2019 F-150 4x4 with the 2.7 I am lucky to average 18 city and 22 highway.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rubber Ducky1 wrote:
Update: My son said that his new truck is performing great for him. Right now he is averaging 24mpg highway and 20mpg city. I'll try to give further updates when he gets more miles on it.

Just for reference my brother claims 27mpg highway and 24mpg city from his 2017 F150 with 2.7 turbo 6 speed. His friend with a 2019 F150 2.7 turbo 10 speed is getting an extra mile or two per gallon. I feel sure that neither one of them is an aggressive driver so results may vary.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think that this is it.

clicky

Just click "advanced post" then lick the the icon with the chain link in the bottom and follow the instructions.

Rubber_Ducky1
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
I tried making the link in Rubber Ducky's post to work, but link is not working!

Maybe repost it, I'll see what I can do.

I did find THIS group of videos when trying to find the one by RubberDucky.......

Marty

If you scroll down the list of those videos, you'll come to "Related to your search" The next video listed titled "A Detailed Look At the 2019 Chevy Silverado's Four Cylinder Engine" is the video I was referring to.

blt2ski
I tried making the link in Rubber Ducky's post to work, but link is not working!

Maybe repost it, I'll see what I can do.

I did find THIS group of videos when trying to find the one by RubberDucky.......

Marty