cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Worried about developing leaks?

popcan
Explorer
Explorer
Still in pursuit of our first TT. Looking at a not too old Nash 19B - a really nice unit.
Never leaked -yet. ... how paranoid do I need to be about being able to it that way?
I live in an area that can have pretty harsh winters. Think snow, freeze, more snow, freeze. If not parked under cover, is that a recipe for disaster?
Is it labor intensive to keep inspecting and re-sealing every year?

After reading so many horror stories, I'm almost at the point where I feel like I only should look at the fiberglass shell type trailers like Bigfoot or Escape.
Am I being too paranoid?
Thanks for your insights and opinions!
6 REPLIES 6

Ex-Tech
Explorer
Explorer
You should be more paranoid about your "never leaked" statement.
How do you know if it never has leaked? Dry rot can hide very well and then present itself later.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
After a 10"'er:

No leaks.:)
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree with the others - relax. Inspect the outside each year. It sounds like you're going to keep it at home. In that case, after the first rain of the season, and after each BIG rain, jump inside the trailer and do visual and touch inspection. Takes about 5 minutes and you'll be able to catch any leaking before it has a chance to do serious damage.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Never had a cover and the last trailer was good after 9 years. As said above, check it(only once a year for me) and reseal what needs it. Some years I don't have to do anything but look.

popcan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks-
I do plan to have some way of parking under cover at some point, but might not accomplish that right away. That's probably my biggest concern.

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Way to paranoid. Inspect twice a year and reseal when necessary. Its really not that big of a deal, a newer trailer should be good for quite a few years, inspect the roof in the spring and again in the fall. If you find some sealer that's cracking or flaking off its time to remove the old stuff and lay down some new. In heavy snow climates the biggest thing to worry about is snow load and cleaning some snow off the TT roof if it gets to deep.
2015 Eclipse Iconic Toy Hauler made by Eclipse Manufacturing which is a pile of junk. If you want to know more just ask and I'll tell you about cracked frames, loose tin, walls falling off, bad holding tanks and very poor customer service.