cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yellowstone

Bobbyg2013
Explorer
Explorer
Since the south entrance into Teton and Yellowstone is closed due to a fire, I am diverting from Vernal, UT to West Yellowstone. I want to make it a two day trip so I need help to identify a camping spot about half way, either dry camping or a clean RV park. Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
As of 11pm 8/29 we've cancelled our trip to West Yellowstone tomorrow (from Provo) due to the status of the Maple fire and the air quality alert. It's not looking very good. Had 2 nights booked there at the KOA (not sure if we will get charged a cancellation fee or not). Now need to re-jig our trip out to the Or. coast and do some re-booking of a few CGs.

Have never been to YNP and was really looking forward to it. ๐Ÿ˜ž

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
bstar1952 wrote:
westernrvparkowner wrote:
bstar1952 wrote:
We'll be there in 2 weeks, hopefully things will have cooled off and the fires under control by then - I hope!
Don't count on it. The policy of the National Park Service and the Forest Service is to not fight forest fires unless they threaten manmade structures. There are several large fires in the Yellowstone area and they will probably grow until October. Weather will be the determining factor and most of the Northwest is drier than normal. I wouldn't bet on widespread rain and snow putting the fires out before your stay.
My biggest concern would be smoke. The fires aren't dangerous to the average tourist, but forest fire smoke can be overwhelming. Check Inciweb.nwcg.org for the latest on those fires. There are links to the Montana air quality website if you want to get an idea about smoke concentration.

westernrvparkowner - Thanks for the info, I was afraid the smoke might be an issue. We'll still head that way and hopefully our RV park in W. Yellowstone will accommodate a deposit refund if necessary.
If the park is open and the roads are open, I wouldn't expect a refund. Smoke out west is like rain in the east, it is just something you have to deal with.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good luck and be sure to call yellow stone for a fire update. If you are fishing check to see if the Yellowstone river fishing ban is still in place.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
we cancelled our stay at Flagg Ranch (in about a week), between Yellowstone and GT due to the fire closing the south entrance. The hwy might open tomorrow, but we decided it made sense to just cancel that part of the trip and go elsewhere. will certainly be going another time.
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH

americanrascal
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the same boat headed to West Yellowstone and have been watching inciweb closely. Not a lot of updated info there on the Maple Fire though of late.

I'm not doing the south end , but its still a concern

bstar1952
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
bstar1952 wrote:
We'll be there in 2 weeks, hopefully things will have cooled off and the fires under control by then - I hope!
Don't count on it. The policy of the National Park Service and the Forest Service is to not fight forest fires unless they threaten manmade structures. There are several large fires in the Yellowstone area and they will probably grow until October. Weather will be the determining factor and most of the Northwest is drier than normal. I wouldn't bet on widespread rain and snow putting the fires out before your stay.
My biggest concern would be smoke. The fires aren't dangerous to the average tourist, but forest fire smoke can be overwhelming. Check Inciweb.nwcg.org for the latest on those fires. There are links to the Montana air quality website if you want to get an idea about smoke concentration.

westernrvparkowner - Thanks for the info, I was afraid the smoke might be an issue. We'll still head that way and hopefully our RV park in W. Yellowstone will accommodate a deposit refund if necessary.
Bstar1952
Bandera, Texas
2020 Ram 2500,6.4 Hemi
2019 (East to West) Della Terra 29KRK
Fastway E2 WHD Hitch

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
bstar1952 wrote:

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
A little NF campground with water and dump 20 miles northwest of Pinedale WY on the Green river.
Called the Warren Bridge.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

bstar1952
Explorer
Explorer
Bstar1952
Bandera, Texas
2020 Ram 2500,6.4 Hemi
2019 (East to West) Della Terra 29KRK
Fastway E2 WHD Hitch

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
You'll be better off posting this in the Roads and Routes forum. There was a recent post about forest fires in Yellowstone. We'll be arriving at the west entrance to Yellowstone in 2 days and are keeping an eye on reports on the internet.