cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yukon XL suspension regular or air suspension

Michigander
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the market for a new(er) Yukon XL to replace our 2011 that finally gave out at 262,000 miles last summer. In looking at the 2017 and newer models it shows two different suspension packages. One is a "premium ride" and one is an air suspension. We want a nice smooth ride and have never had a problem with any of our Yukon XL/travel trailer combos with just normal suspension.
What are your thoughts/experiences with the air suspension? If it goes bad can you just have regular shocks put on?

Also, what are your thoughts on the GM integrated brake controller? if you don't like it can you put your own on?

Thanks!!
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
Honda civic toad "RGOCART"

"A father measures his wealth not in his possessions, but in the happiness of his family"
2 REPLIES 2

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2011 Yukon Denali XL that I believe came with the air suspension. I used it to tow my 7000 pound surf boat. The air suspension was nice as the back end would really sag without it. That said, when it stopped working at about 100,000 miles, it was the proverbial straw that broke the camels back for that vehicle, at least in my wife's eyes.

I was strongly considering replacing my 2011 with another 2016/2017 Denali. That is, until I started shopping. What I found was that I could get brand new 2019 Ford Expedition Max for about the same price as a used GM full size SUV.

I've never been a fan of Ford, so it wasn't an easy sell for me. But I couldn't get over the price difference of a new Ford vs a used GM. I've only had the Ex for about a month, finally got over 1000 miles on it, and did a short tow with my boat. All I can say is that I am impressed. I didn't really get a chance to work the engine to compare it to the 6.2 in my Denali, but I REALLY like the 10 speed transmission, and it seems significantly more stable as a tow vehicle than my GM.

It is definitely something worth checking out.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2015 Tahoe had the factory air suspension. Very satisfied until it malfunctioned in early 2019. The factory trailer brake system worked well.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad