cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do NOT use Flex Seal on your camper roof!

Seminoe_Joe
Explorer II
Explorer II
Figured I’d post this since I had a troubling conversation with my repair guy a couple weeks back when I picked up my camper after it was repaired following a minor collision last fall. We were discussing my long battle with a skylight leak in the bathroom and I mentioned that at one point I used flex seal spray as an emergency measure until I could do a proper repair with new butyl tape and Dicor and eternabond. He got all exited and told me that the “flex seal is great stuff! That’s the way to go!” And he used it on his parents’ leaky shed roof and its holding just fine. I nodded and told him it’s great for an emergency but from my firsthand experience, it becomes brittle, cracks, and eventually peels off when it’s been exposed to ultraviolet light for more than a few weeks. He apparently wasn’t aware of that. Ive been thinking about that conversation for a few weeks now and figured I’d post a thread about it to inform others who might be tempted to use flex seal as a permanent solution on camper roofs. DON’T!
Even though the tv commercial shows a guy sealing a skylight,
Even though your repair guy or dealer might tell you it’s great,
Even though a website or blog extols it’s virtues,
It is NOT a permanent solution!!!!! Emergency patch? Sure. But it WILL become brittle, crack, and peel off in a few weeks under UV light (sunlight).
So please, PLEASE, don’t even think about using this stuff I place of lap sealant or eternabond.
This has been a public service announcement.
We now return to your regularly scheduled program.
“It’s all in the reflexes.”
2012 Lance 850
2023 Chevy 3500 HD
23 REPLIES 23

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
This is what I did when I wss bored last summer after I found an old tube of Dicor
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Seminoe Joe wrote:
Figured I’d post this since I had a troubling conversation with my repair guy a couple weeks back when I picked up my camper after it was repaired following a minor collision last fall. We were discussing my long battle with a skylight leak in the bathroom and I mentioned that at one point I used flex seal spray as an emergency measure until I could do a proper repair with new butyl tape and Dicor and eternabond. He got all exited and told me that the “flex seal is great stuff! That’s the way to go!” And he used it on his parents’ leaky shed roof and its holding just fine. I nodded and told him it’s great for an emergency but from my firsthand experience, it becomes brittle, cracks, and eventually peels off when it’s been exposed to ultraviolet light for more than a few weeks. He apparently wasn’t aware of that. Ive been thinking about that conversation for a few weeks now and figured I’d post a thread about it to inform others who might be tempted to use flex seal as a permanent solution on camper roofs. DON’T!
Even though the tv commercial shows a guy sealing a skylight,
Even though your repair guy or dealer might tell you it’s great,
Even though a website or blog extols it’s virtues,
It is NOT a permanent solution!!!!! Emergency patch? Sure. But it WILL become brittle, crack, and peel off in a few weeks under UV light (sunlight).
So please, PLEASE, don’t even think about using this stuff I place of lap sealant or eternabond.
This has been a public service announcement.
We now return to your regularly scheduled program.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

You maybe did not put the Flex Seal on thick enough and the liquid in the can is way better than the spray.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Well I'm on the other side of the equation. I used the Flex seal caulking tubes to seal up a couple of cracks in the roof in the spring. It stayed tacky for about 2 weeks and then became less and less tacky as time went by. Fast forward to fall, after checking a number of times, it didn't crack, peel become brittle or shrink and the trailer rood has full sun exposure for at least 6-7 hours a day.

We used it on our RV 36ft fifth wheel roof over 6 yrs ago and it is doing just fine in the HOT Arizona sun.  The key is whatever a person coats be sure to clean it well first.  We have used it many times on various things---this stuff works great!

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Guess he saw money signs When people call me and say they used it i say good luck i dont want any part of it

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I carry a quart of Heng’s and roll Eternabond on my travels.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
It works great but is not UV rated. Use it on the underbelly or in a shady location and it holds up just fine, not in the sunlight tho...