cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introduce Yourself!

TeamGoodSam
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all, and welcome to the Good Sam Community — we’re excited you’re here! Take this chance to say hello and tell us a bit about yourself.

Whether this is your first time here or if you’ve already jumped into the conversations, kick today off with a quick, friendly hello. It’s always great to run into familiar faces further down the road.

So what’s the inside scoop? Your RV of choice. Where you like to travel. Where you call home. Need an icebreaker? Tell us where you would go if you could RV anywhere in the world. And finally, be sure to welcome others as they join!

-Team Good Sam
Good to go since 1966
273 REPLIES 273

Good morning Mike, yes sir - Vietnam Veteran Marine, 30+ year Wisconsin Law Enforcement Officer - retiring as Chief, and 6 year Texas State Investigator before retiring almost for good.  Our eldest son is a 30 year Marine retiring as Sgt Major, now a Cass County MO Deputy Sheriff.  Not sure where my travels will take me this year but I am pretty sure at least one location will be Arizona.  Take care - God be with, bless and protect you and your wife Bonnie during your travels.

Our thanks to you and your family for sacrifices in service to our nation.  Blessings also get a thank you and a return blessing for y'all and your travels.  Be well. FHL.

Semper Fi bro, Army here, 29 year, Vietnam 2 tour helicopter pilot. 

Trying to stay east of the Mississippi River until we hang up RVing, which is not immanent. Stay safe. 

Thank you for serving. 

Thanks for your service Marine 🫡

Going from a motor home to a towable would be too much for us, so I wish you good luck.

Heisgood
Explorer
Explorer

Hello, My husband and I are from Holden Beach, NC. We are flying out to Oregon to pick up our RV in a few weeks. We want to see the California Redwoods, and then perhaps head home through Nevada and Colorado. We need to be back home in ten days. Do you all have any suggestions for us, as it's our first time driving across the US. Prayers are appreciated. Thank you in advance. Carol & C.W.  

Good morning and congratulations on your new RV purchase from I am assuming an Oregon RV Dealer.  I am going to "assume" because of that distance it is a Class A; which is a little more comfortable to try to travel longer distances each day; but depending on parts of country can be more difficult to find RV parks it fits in for the night (however, if I have been pressed for time, I have taken advantage of sleeping in truck stops or waysides to keep moving having all my needs right on board while traveling)  Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, richardyood's advice that ten days may be a little tight may be pretty accurate.  When we were younger that would not have been a problem at all; today if I wanted to fly from one coast to the other, inspect and close on the RV, supply and equip it, do some site-seeing and comfortably drive back across country, ten days might be a little tight - but I could do it - because I know how to "safely" and "properly" travel making use of truck stops and waysides  on the days I am just traveling to save time.  Best wishes, God be with, bless and protect you with your purchase and your trip.

Well said bro.

Congratulations on joining the RV community. However, I feel that you have not allowed yourselves enough time to both sightsee and be back in 10 days. First I'm guessing that you'll need a day to recover from your flight and to inspect your new RV to make sure that all systems work. Then to provision it, at least with the basics before you leave the dealership or previous owner. You didn't say what you are buying but if it's either a Clas A, C or B, will depend on how far you can safely drive each day. We've always had Clas A's 36 feet down to now 30 feet, and back in my youth 😄 19 years ago when we got our first coach driving 400+ miles a day wore me out. Thus 300 to 350 miles a day was not as debilitating.  Then when you stop for the night there's the setup which could take as much as an hour. 

So for example it's 825 miles from Portland to Sequoia National Park which is 2 days just to get there. From there to home in Holden Beach is 2706 miles, so assuming 400 miles a day not taking in construction, accidents that stop traffic,  etc, that's about 7 days of steady driving,  so you've used up 10+ days.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but it's a big country. I'd suggest getting home directly to stay within your 10 day window, then spend time learning about your RV with short trips and then when you can take a month to go see those Redwoods. 

And if I'm out of line in your opinion,  I apologize in advance. 

Have fun RVing. 

Thank you for your kind response. We are picking up a Class A Newmar Ventana 4369 in Junction City, Oregon. We are pressed for time, b/c we are not fully retired yet, and have a commitment.within ten days of our pick-up. Of course, while we're so close we want to see the Redwoods. We realize the trip will be mostly driving and little sightseeing. But, hopefully it will motivate us to begin to make time to enjoy our purchase and older years while we still can. We plan to take the advice of many others and take the Southern Route (I-40). Any advice is greatly appreciated. God bless you, ch 

Safe travels. Just remember that you're driving a rolling earthquake so after experiencing what I-40 has to offer, be sure to go over the coach with a fine tooth comb to make everything is where it belongs and works 👍🏽😀

Sweetcitrus2000
Explorer
Explorer

Good afternoon, my husband Is Jimmy 59 He is disabled and a veteran, and I am Loretta 60 a retired medical assistant we both retired in 2018 and we have been RVing since then. And we travel with our rescue German Shepherd that is going to be 10.  we used to call Englewood Florida home but we had sold our house in April 2023 and now we call Bitley Michigan home. We are on the road from August to September through April to May then we are in Michigan during the summer.  I drive a 36 foot 2006 Winnebago journey and I love it. I joined this group to see where are the best places to go that everyone has experienced

Hello Loretta and Jimmy,

Jimmy, thank you for your service. I also served, in the Air Force, Crash Rescue Fire Fighter. And Loretta I retired as a Registered MRI Tech, so thanks for your service too.

If you haven't been there yet I would definitely recommend The Black Hills in South Dakota. Amazing!! I did a trip out there last year and it was great. I also went into Wyoming and stayed at Devils Tower, with a visit to Sturgis SD along the way.  Also went to the Bad Lands in SD. I highly recommend!

Safe Travels. See you around the campfire.  

Welcome to the community! Sounds like you are having a great time with your new setup! My friend recently acquired this nice Winnebago. Just got the brake job done, new tires from 4Wheelonline, light upgrades, and more. Enjoy the forums

From one veteran to another, please tell your husband thank you for his service.

Herb