cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,301 REPLIES 32,301

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Its bed time and I think Buddy is about ready to retire for the night. He ate twice tonight so I know his tummy is full. He has let me know he has forgiven me for his surgery today, poor thing doesn't know what happened to him. But tomorrow is a new day and I am sure he will be just fine. He is such a loving boy and all he wants is to know he is loved in return.

So I will call it a night, lock the doors, turn the lights out and dream of people and places in the heart.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
Poor baby,,,,,,encourage him to be quiet and rest..... every day sit with him and keep him quiet, Maybe it will give you some rest also
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
dogdiva wrote:
Hows your toe"""" I hope Buddy doesn't step on it....

The toe is fine, its Buddy now that needs some TLC. He had his surgery today and he is miserable.

Wife Sue

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
Hows your toe"""" I hope Buddy doesn't step on it....

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. The sun is shinning with a beautiful morning sky as the rain clouds give way to some cool dry weather. It is very quiet here this morning as Buddy is on his way to have his surgery. Sue said she would take him this morning if I would pick him up this afternoon. I have the 72 Lincoln back hopefully it will be okay for a while. I discovered something special yesterday. Does the name Rick Hendrick sound familiar? Rick is from NASCAR fame and he has one of his Corvettes here in Piedmont being restored. I was told about this yesterday and was advised to take the 73 Lincoln for its final stages of repair to Dan. I was amazed at what I saw at this out of the way stuck back into the woods repair shop. Any kind of hot rod you could ever imagine was there. There was a 39 Chevrolet coupe that was amazingly restore to its original condition. Corvettes, old Fords, old Chevrolets and a few others I didn't recognize without a handbook from the 20's and 30's. Dan told me if I needed something for the Lincoln, if he couldn't find it he would make it. He looked at the weather strip and said he could install the new ones without a problem. The only problem it would be March before he could get to it. So I put that on the back burner and if I still have the car in March I will take it to him.

The motorhome has so many gadgets it is hard for me to comprehend it all. I keep going over the same things over and over trying to get in my mind how to operate the thing.

Suzie, Hobo and Peaches are all resting this morning glad to have a little peace. Buddy keeps things stirred up with all of his energy. I have to admit he is a real sweet heart. Last night all he wanted was to rest his head in my lap. It didn't matter where the rest of his long body was resting as long as he could put his head in my lap.
Today I have lunch with my pastor explain to him I need to take a break for a while. After the Holidays Sue and I along with the fur gang will hit the road. We plan to go to Hilton Head and then on down to Florida for a few weeks.

Okay I need to get moving so I will close for now wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them.

Wife Sue

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
I think Buddy is Hannah's lost brother. Last week, Hannah bit the cord to my floor lamp in two, tripping the circuit breaker. I was able to fix the cord, but I am very thankful I still have Hannah. The good news, she has not attempted to bite any more electrical cords.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buddy just bit into the electrical cord that goes to one of the table lamps. I heard a zap, a yelp and the light flashed dim for a second all the while Buddy was making a get away looking for whatever it was that slapped him.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
SGTJOE wrote:
Sorry to hear about Izzie, is he an indoor Cat? I read somewhere that the average lifespan of an indoor Cat is 18-22 years. My Murray is over 19 years and still chases her tail and runs through the house playing with the Dogs. I'd get him checked, is it possible he might have picked up a Tick? Murray is solid black and not one gray hair, too bad I can't figure out the secret to that.

Izzie is an indoor cat. He gave up the outdoor life years ago. He still likes to go outside and prowl, but when the day ends he wants the comforts of indoor living.

Wife Sue

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry to hear about Izzie, is he an indoor Cat? I read somewhere that the average lifespan of an indoor Cat is 18-22 years. My Murray is over 19 years and still chases her tail and runs through the house playing with the Dogs. I'd get him checked, is it possible he might have picked up a Tick? Murray is solid black and not one gray hair, too bad I can't figure out the secret to that.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, here's hoping you keep it in toe! (A good laugh chases away pain).

Last night, Hannah pooped in the bedroom without warning. I have to be more persistent about her doing her business before any of us can go to bed. I started her on her training yesterday. She is very responsive during the training while I am wearting the treat bag, but has a very short attention span. Too much television, I guess, or I need to keep her away from the computer. Shadow is very upset that he doesn't get treats as well. It looks like I have another canine personal agent on my hands: Willow always demanded a share of the treats whenever I trained Max, but never did anything herself. It's a greyhound thing.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. This is how the name Izzie came about. When he was a small kitten we wondered what sex he was. He was too young to really tell so we would ask is it a he, then is he and then the name Izzie. Sue then named him Isadore and shortened it to Izzie. That's my explanation and I am sticking to it.

It is not raining this morning so just maybe we will a rain free day today. Buddy goes to the vet today to get his shots and tomorrow he gets his manhood taken away. This morning he refused to go into the back yard so I let him out the front and wouldn't you know it. Our neighbors the Unger's were out for a walk. Now this is at 6:30 in the am and it is extremely foggy but never you mind about that. It one of those die hard I am going to walk attitude no matter what. So what does Buddy do? He scares the heck out of them by charging right to them as if he is going to tear them apart. I get him back to the house and threaten that if he doesn't get his act together he is going to join the circus. Maybe I should consider that one for myself.

Yesterday I had my big toe operated on and this morning it is letting me know it is not happy. I will have to wear sandals for a few days so the toe is not being pressed on by a shoe. I need to get moving so I will close for now wishing everyone a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them. By the way, thanks to everyone who helps make this thread a nice place to visit.

Wife Sue

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
that does not seem too old for a kitty Maybe he should go to the vet for a good ck up
He is certainly one very special kitty....How did you come up with the name izzie"""

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
dogdiva wrote:
how old is izzie>>>

Izzie is fourteen years old

Wife Sue

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, that's so hard to see. Izzie has been so patient and tolerant through all the pups that have shared "his" home. It is also a too real reminder that we are not getting any younger, either. Izzie is one very special little soul. I know you are grateful to have had him to share in all of your rescue efforts since Old Fella.
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
how old is izzie>>>