cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

TTBeachBum
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
This morning for the first time Old Fella came into our bedroom and watched me as I got dressed. His head cock to one side, his ears up and his eyes were inquisitive, ever alert. When I finished I came into the office part of the house and he followed me and laid down by my chair, that is where he is right now. I was thinking how wonderful it must be for him not to be alone anymore and out in the cold, as it was 31 degrees here this morning. This is the first time I have ever taken in an older dog, especially one Fella's age, but what a joy it is to see him at peace and loving his new home and family.

This Thanksgiving and Christmas there will be a place for Fella in our home and gifts under the tree. I am sure now there is a special angel that has been watching over Old Fella and is still watching even now as he settles into his new life and home. What a blessing he is and continues to be.

Give O.F. a pet from Long Island. It seems he is not taking a moment for granted.

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
Richard

Have you ever watched Animal Planet????? There are alot of dog stories on and I think it would be worth a try to see if they would like to do a feature story on Old Fella...

http://animal.discovery.com/
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
This morning for the first time Old Fella came into our bedroom and watched me as I got dressed. His head cock to one side, his ears up and his eyes were inquisitive, ever alert. When I finished I came into the office part of the house and he followed me and laid down by my chair, that is where he is right now. I was thinking how wonderful it must be for him not to be alone anymore and out in the cold, as it was 31 degrees here this morning. This is the first time I have ever taken in an older dog, especially one Fella's age, but what a joy it is to see him at peace and loving his new home and family.

This Thanksgiving and Christmas there will be a place for Fella in our home and gifts under the tree. I am sure now there is a special angel that has been watching over Old Fella and is still watching even now as he settles into his new life and home. What a blessing he is and continues to be.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

TTBeachBum
Explorer
Explorer
lynno62 wrote:
Richard, AMEN, Everyone keeps asking when I will get someone to replace Brandy, I said when it happens, when it is meant to be it is meant to be. She will drop into my lap when it needs to happen.
You, Sue and Family are very blessed with Old Fella, Hopefully everyone will get that blessing.

Lynn,
You are so right. Before Axel came into our life, we had lost our beloved Travis. Both DH and I were heartbroken. I spotted Axel's face on the internet (the Shelter found him roaming the streets) and fell immediately in love with his big ole' face. Axel fell in love with DH (now he loves me too!). When the time is right, the animals will adopt you. Rescues are awesome.

lynno62
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, AMEN, Everyone keeps asking when I will get someone to replace Brandy, I said when it happens, when it is meant to be it is meant to be. She will drop into my lap when it needs to happen.
You, Sue and Family are very blessed with Old Fella, Hopefully everyone will get that blessing.
Lynno & Girls
Mickey 8yr old Black Lab German shepard mix
Brandy 1yr old Black Lab(May she rest in peace)
1977 Scamp 13'TT
1995 jeep 4x4

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Susanne and I have been emailing each other today as she writes the book about Old Fella. I know there is power in prayer because I have felt its force in my life. I remember that Tuesday I sat up all night with Old Fella when he was close to death and I felt your prayers all through the night. I am sure it was your prayers that God heard that night and help us through the night. I couldn't help but think of the scripture that says, "in his favor is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning."

Let us pray now that Susanne be successful in getting the story published and Old Fella's story told so that others will be encouraged to give strays another chance at life. Old Fella came into our lives for a reason and it must be that he bring hope to others who have trod the pathway of brokenness and sorrow that he has. Old Fella can be a saviour to others if only his life can be brought to the pages of print that beats in all of our hearts. Let us pray with all of our strength that there will be a day when all the Old Fella's of this world will be given a rightful place in our homes and in our hearts. This book can be a powerful instrument in bringing to the hearts of others the plight of those who are less fortunate. Maybe if you look back in your life you could have been an Old Fella except for the grace of God.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just wondering if anyone on the forum will be at Hunting Island State Park in South Carolina the week of New Year. We will be there December 28th through January 1st.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is my hope and prayer that when Old Fella's story is told in Susanne's book that people will look at stray animals in a different way. I cannot describe the joy that Fella brings to us everyday. He is such a gentleman and so loving. What a prize we found just by being there and listening to our hearts. You folks really knew what you were doing when you kept encouraging me to go back and get him. I can't wait for June to get here so we can meet at the rally in Branson so you can see for yourself.

Wife Sue

Paolo_s_pack
Explorer
Explorer
DF,
You are to be congratulated again for doing such a fine job.
What a picture. OF looks SO good.

Get well, friends.
Regine
Spirit of Paolo
1985 Dodge Ram Custom 250 conversion

chemisd
Explorer
Explorer
The change in him is magnificent! He doesn't look old and tired anymore!
Chemisd's
Joe,Jana,Jarod,Jansen
GS Allie and Sammi
See you at the bridge Maddey&Maicey
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

2004 Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, 5.7L hemi
http://www.didomenicos.com

sharrlan
Explorer
Explorer
You have done a beautiful job with him.

needsomefun
Explorer
Explorer
He's just beautiful!!! What a lucky boy!

chrisnpat
Explorer
Explorer
leftnoright wrote:
I think OF's looking downright cocky! "Got me a new home, got me a new mom & dad that love & spoil me to death, got me a new backyard, got me new play pals, got me a new camper. I even went to Disneyland!!"

exactly :B But he deserves to be well kept. He's thinking he has this humans right where he wants them now.
I love it.
Christine and Patrick
Cocker Spaniels
Trevor and two Fosters Kahlua and Blossom
Life is What happens to you while your busy making plans.

leftnoright
Explorer
Explorer
I think OF's looking downright cocky! "Got me a new home, got me a new mom & dad that love & spoil me to death, got me a new backyard, got me new play pals, got me a new camper. I even went to Disneyland!!"
Linda(poster)
Fred (the innocent husband)
Jordan (Shih-Poo Rescue)
Mitzi (Pom now with Rainbow Division)

gamersredneckwi
Explorer
Explorer
Wow!!!!! Wow!!!!!

You have done an amazing job...I can't believe the difference...You've done good ๐Ÿ™‚
Summer
2009 36RD5S Cedar Creek
2012 Winnebago Raven 3250 RE
2010 Dodge 3500 CC CTD 4X4
Scottie 1962 Model
Coondog Moonshine - RIP 08.09.12
Wiener Beagle Candie
Wiener Beagle Pebbles
Wiener Sumthin' Wiggles
Chwiene Maddie