cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
TazFord wrote:
Hello Dixie Flyer, This is my first to read your wonderful story. Definitely a Disney story. Being that there are 216 pages, the last I read O.F. was having trouble climbing a ramp into the camper. Have you looked into a Physical Therapist that specializes in prosthetics for our four-legged friends. Surely something can be designed to increase O.F.'s mobility without leading to back or other joint problems.

We have devised a way for Fella to get into the camper with his cooperation. The ramp is placed on the steps, he then steps up on the ramp and waits for me to lift the back end of it to make it level. Then Fella walks into the camper without any problem.

Old Fella also has a hip problem as well as a foot and leg problem. For whatever reason his hip on the side of the injured leg is weaker and smaller than the other hip. Daily walking seems to help to a point but when he gets tired he gives into the hip easily which makes it hard for him to climb steps or a steep grade. The extra weight has not helped the situation either.

Living in a small rual area we have limited resources as far as animal health care is concerned. I will have to check into a Physical Therapist for aimals, but I doubt that there will be any in our area.

Maybe someone who has medical experience in this area of Pet Health can offer some suggestions as to what could be done if anything at all. Thanks for the concern and advise.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

TazFord
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Dixie Flyer, This is my first to read your wonderful story. Definitely a Disney story. Being that there are 216 pages, the last I read O.F. was having trouble climbing a ramp into the camper. Have you looked into a Physical Therapist that specializes in prosthetics for our four-legged friends. Surely something can be designed to increase O.F.'s mobility without leading to back or other joint problems.
Life long camper, First time Fiver
2018 Starcraft Solstice 29BHSโ€”2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before Sue, Levi, Izzie, Old Fella and myself go to bed tonight I want to pause and say thanks for all the blessing we have received from the folks of this forum.

Tonight as we rest we can be thankful that our lives have been changed for the better. Because of you and and your generosity we have experienced a most wonderful seven months anyone could ever hope for. My life has been touched by people I have never met except through this forum. Some of you I hope to see in Branson, Missouri, but most I will never have the opportunity to personally say thank you for what you have done. So tonight let me say thank you for showing what a great caring nation we are. If anywhere there has been an outpouring of love and charity it has been here. Everytime I look at Old Fella I am reminded of your kindness.

Fella has a new life and he has found his soul mate to finish his journey here in this life with. He is so gentle and loving that I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that it was meant for Sue and I to find him and make him a part of our lives. It was your encourgement that inspired this beautiful story. Old Fella thanks you, Sue and I thank you and may this story continue to give hope to others.

Wife Sue

LeroyR
Explorer
Explorer
Growlin' Hair Formula?
Leroy, Leona, Leroy Jr.
Our Westie(s) - Bark Lee (Buddy) and Wuzzy Bear.
G. Schnauzer/English Pointer mix - Teddy Bear
'06 301BHD F R Sandpiper
'06 Silverado 2500HD LT3 D/A CC SWB
'06 Trailblazer SS

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
sue.t wrote:
Oh, yeah. Life is tough! Is it just my imagination, or has some of the grey left OF's face? I see some grey still, but no where near as much as before?

It does seem as if he has gotten less grey than he had before.

Wife Sue

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, yeah. Life is tough! Is it just my imagination, or has some of the grey left OF's face? I see some grey still, but no where near as much as before?
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

What'a life!!!

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

Sue, Levi and Old Fella relaxing Friday afternoon.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

This is the same campsite we were on when we first saw Old Fella. So I thought it only fitting to go back for this trip.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

As Fella lay on the beach and gazed around you could sense he was taking it all in and reliving the past. He always was aware of where I was and If I made a move that he thought I was leaving he would get to his feet to follow.

Wife Sue

LeroyR
Explorer
Explorer
This does my heart good. OF truly is a message.
Leroy, Leona, Leroy Jr.
Our Westie(s) - Bark Lee (Buddy) and Wuzzy Bear.
G. Schnauzer/English Pointer mix - Teddy Bear
'06 301BHD F R Sandpiper
'06 Silverado 2500HD LT3 D/A CC SWB
'06 Trailblazer SS

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

Sue and Old Fella taking a nap during one of the many down pours of rain on Saturday.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

This is the playground where Fella would hang out sleeping under the slide and where I finally caught him. He allowed me to pose in this picture with him if I agreed to let him go swimming. I wish I had taken a picture of him in the water.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

This is the beach where Fella did most of his swimming. I was told he loved to go in the water and just lap it up. Gerald told me he often saw Fella coming down the road to his campsite with water still dripping off of him. He would smell Bonnie's cooking and knew she had something for him and she would.

Wife Sue

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure Old Fella enjoyed the trip, but I'll bet he was really glad to get home, and know for sure that he wasn't going to be left. Once he realizes this, he'll enjoy the camping trips even more.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A