cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,294 REPLIES 32,294

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
As you can see by the above posts, Anna is getting along quite well. We made it home this afternoon around 5:15 to 32* weather. After asking Beau what the white stuff was, she seemed to go along with the program of trying to eat it out of the yard. None of us were ready to come back to this type of weather.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Sure is cold here

Beau, What is that funny white stuff you are eating?

Hmm......This isn't too bad
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Anna has made it to her new forever home in a chillier climate than she has been used to:

Anna supervises while we get gas.

Anna is making sure we go the right direction

Anna sees the sign for the Buckeye State
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
My first two learned it from dogs on a horse ranch. The next one (Tig) learned it from them. Took a while, but Hal finally picked it up from her, and now looks forward to her ration of baby carrots each night.

So probably what I should have said was....some dogs surely will eat anything, and will instantly take to carrots. Some will not not, but those who will not can often be taught to by another dog.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

chrisnpat
Explorer
Explorer
Carrots and cucumbers, I never had to teach, my dog to eat them. The minute she smells them, she wants to chow down. I never heard of having to teach any dog to eat anything. Some I know are pickier than others but I think they all pretty much have the eating thing down. ๐Ÿ™‚
Christine and Patrick
Cocker Spaniels
Trevor and two Fosters Kahlua and Blossom
Life is What happens to you while your busy making plans.

joelbaker
Explorer
Explorer
I love watching my Golden eat carrots! She opens her mouth wide and chews away, big bites every time. She loves 'em. If I'm having some, or if I give a big one to the rabbits, she has to have some. The Corgi has a bit more trouble with it, but has learned by watching the Golden. The cats only lick 'em then wander away...
Joel & Bonnie
3 boys and 4 dogs
No coach right now ๐Ÿ˜ž
Rallies Attended: 8;Gatherings Attended: 3

joang
Explorer
Explorer
My dogs LOVE carrots! They are like big cruchy, orange chew treats! The baby ones are no fun, but the big ones are a blast! I wouldn't have thought so, until I was cooking and I dropped one and both dogs went crazy trying to grab it!

MNSmurf
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm....never had a problem getting Max to eat carrots, and there's no way he saw another dog doing it....
Smurf, SWMBO, and the RugRats
Max the Dog
2000 F250 V-10
2005 Cherokee Lite 285B

"How many days of vacation do I have left?"

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
The thing about baby carrots is, eating carrots is sort of a learned behavior... you almost need a dog around that does it to convince the other ones that carrots are "food." You might get one started by eating a bunch yourself while making loud smacking noises. Or, zapping it in the nuker for a minute to soften it and make it smell more attractive might help get him interested. You don't want to feed a lot of carrots cooked, though, as they are high sugar...not a problem raw, a dog's system can't really get the sugar out, but cooked is different.

Another option might be to leave some carrots around Suzie. She's apt to pick one up and gnaw on it just out of boredom, especially if it is in her bed-less crate overnight... or maybe in the yard. Once she figures it out she can teach the boys.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
Try baby carrots for a snack, natural Vit C for healthy purposes, crunchy for cleaning the teeth
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
Might be about time for Fella to start back at the swimming, if that is available.

If you decide to try the Comfort Zone for Suzie, get it at www.omahavaccines.com , where it costs less than half of what you'll pay at your local pet store.
susan

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
DIXIESMAMA wrote:
Richard, I am glad Fella has his playful moments. You may need to get his arthritis meds changed. My old Dobbie had hip problems in her later years. The Vet said I would get about 2 more years out of her if I kept her weight down. He was right. We kept her on a diet and she lost weight...she was a chow hound by nature and it was hard to not slip her something. But she only got food if we gave it to her...so her weight was 100% our responsibility.

Have you changed his treats to just a little of his daily kibble? Hand feed him some canned green beans or a vege he likes. I think it really doesn't matter what you give them...just so they get something.

DIXIESMAMA

We have cut out the treats for Old Fella. He is so pitiful when he comes into the kitchen looking for food. He looks at you and makes this weird grunting sound wags his tail and stares at you hoping that something will drop into his mouth.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

DIXIESMAMA
Explorer
Explorer
Der Suzze, I tink I can stir de kar if U can push de ppiddles. Mama gots lots of papr n de kar dat sez whrrr 2 go. We cud go 2 dat Hiio plaz n sav Annea frm de peplllls dat tak hr. De kar iz big. Levi, Izzy, and Fella, mytru luv, cin cum wif uz. Mykittty staz hom. She wud tel Mammma n den I wud hav 2 sta n de yardz. We wud hav 2 be hom be4 de Mammas n Diddys wak up cuz we cud b n trubl 4 goin out of de yardz n getz BAD DOG wurdz. Tel de boyz 2 b redey.

Luvs, Dixie Dew

DIXIESMAMA
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, I am glad Fella has his playful moments. You may need to get his arthritis meds changed. My old Dobbie had hip problems in her later years. The Vet said I would get about 2 more years out of her if I kept her weight down. He was right. We kept her on a diet and she lost weight...she was a chow hound by nature and it was hard to not slip her something. But she only got food if we gave it to her...so her weight was 100% our responsibility.

Have you changed his treats to just a little of his daily kibble? Hand feed him some canned green beans or a vege he likes. I think it really doesn't matter what you give them...just so they get something.

DIXIESMAMA

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
It has been a different week around here since Anna left. I am glad that she found such a good home. Dan and Lori are great people and Anna was blessed to have been adopted by them. Suzie has missed Anna but she is adjusting and life for her is getting better. She has become more social and spending more time with us. She has really become a sweet little lady even though she has her moments.

Old Fella sure has been feeling good lately. I have never seen him so playful. We will go for our walk in a little while and that always brings out the joy in him. He loves to walk about town and say hi to his friends. Okay I have to go for now. Talk with you later.

Wife Sue