cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

W7SFO
Explorer
Explorer
WOW, congratulations!
Ryan,
Spanaway WA.
2001 Sunnybrook
See me on Facebook!
Enjoying camping every chance I get.
Enjoy meeting other folks in the area to camp with.

mistressofdistr
Explorer
Explorer
Good things come to those that wait. Congratulations.
Proud owner of 2 Barth motorhomes and a Barth Trailer.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
agteacher wrote:
I hope you took some of the advice and sent the stories to a publisher and that is the good news. :BYou have a wonderful way of telling stories.

Some time this year there will be a book. That is the good news. I just wanted to make sure before posting.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

agteacher
Explorer
Explorer
I hope you took some of the advice and sent the stories to a publisher and that is the good news. :BYou have a wonderful way of telling stories.
camping buddies - my husband,:R
American Eskimo - Baby
07 Lance 915
2015 Ram 3500 Lonestar Edition
01 International 4700 - SOLD
99 Dodge 3500 Quad Long Bed,Cummins,Rhino Liner
06 WW SLC 3505 - SOLD
48 Ford 8N was a rustbucket
52 Ford 8N w/ Sherman 54B HydroHoe

woodstick
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for clearing that up for us and glad Sue was okay. We have 2 friends that are diabetic so understand the low sugar attacks. Take care both of you!
Thanks also for the continuing story.
Woodstick and Queen of the North
Woody and Patsy and our Furkids-Oreo, a black lab and Cookie, mix of Shihtzu, Bichon, Lhasa Apso
38' Sportsmen Sportster Toy Hauler
Pulled by 2003 3500 Dodge Diesel 6 speed
Rolling Castle Blog
Patsy does all the posting.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Suzie was in deep thought about all Fella had said, but all of this was more than she could comprehend because she was still young to the ways of the world. She could hardly remember the hardships she had gone through as a puppy abandoned at the trash bens out in the county. It was all so long ago and far away, yet there was a fear of being left that she could not understand. She knew she had a good home and she was loved more than she could have ever hoped for. Listening to Fella talk about his life in the campground she found it hard to understand how and why he had suffered so much. But one thing was for sure, he loved his home and family more than life itself. Suzie looked about her at the beautiful scenery with the ocean and the white sandy beaches and then glancing back at her family she thought how much she had been blessed and for the first time in a long time she thought about her sister Anna. She didnโ€™t miss her as much anymore and was glad she had found a nice home in the snow country. Annaโ€™s Friend had Beau had passed on to Rainbow Bridge so she was the only child now and very spoiled.

The day passed quietly and peacefully as she lay next to the camper watching Mom and Dad piddle around with different things taking life easy. Her heart swelled with love and contentment as she thanked whoever was responsible for her place in life. She had not yet seen the Ancestors or talked with them so she didnโ€™t understand the importance of all Fella had told her.

Continued

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hoops wrote:
I too thought there was something wrong with Sue, glad it was just a story.

The part about Sue on the beach actually happened. She is a diabetic and sometimes has low blood sugar attacks.

Wife Sue

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
I too thought there was something wrong with Sue, glad it was just a story.
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

E_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Gave me a scare there Richard about Sue. Glad she's ok.
E.Texan

woodstick
Explorer
Explorer
Had us going also! Thought oh no now Sue is having more problems, not what they need. Thanks for the story!
Woody and Patsy and our Furkids-Oreo, a black lab and Cookie, mix of Shihtzu, Bichon, Lhasa Apso
Rolling Castle Blog

JulieT
Explorer
Explorer
Whew! I finally made it to the end and now Rich has started a new story. Thanks everyone for the welcome and I look forward to daily updates on all involved here.
Rich, you asked where we camp up here in Rabun County...Never been camping at Black Rock although we have been up there. There is a nice state park at Rabun Beach and then our favorite is Sugar Creek off Hwy 197. Coming back from Jax, FL last week we stopped at Ocmulgee SP for the nite. Pretty close to you as the crow flies. We were also at the Outer Banks about the same time y'all were in September.
Just want you all to know that I have read every word of this thread in about 4 weeks and that during the holidays with family, friends and all that goes with the holidays.
Code2High, you are so knowledgable about animals. Are you a vet? I just love to read your opinions on how to raise dogs. Have learned volumes from your posts.
Dixiedew, you are just too funny. Love to read your Dixiedew posts. DandyDan, I am so happy that you got Anna. She is beautiful. And the family of Anna2 (Pia or is it Tia) what a great story of her trip across America. She, too, is a pretty dog and so lucky to have a great home. i could go on and on. I feel like I know so many of you personally. What a great saga and I hope it will continue for a long time. Such inspiration from all of you, especially Rich and Sue. We live too close not to meet someday. I look forward to that day.
DH has made a career change this year so do not know what our RV future looks like, but have already put the bug in his ear about Branson Rally. I'll just have to wait and see. In the meantime, I will checking in everyday and look forward to the rest of the stories from Rich's magic fingers.
Good nite and God Bless

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Walking on the sandy beach was easy on Felllaโ€™s bad foot and he was enjoying the walk when suddenly Sue went down on one knee, struggling to get back to her feet she called out to Richard,

โ€œI need help something is wrong.โ€

Sue wasnโ€™t able to stand by herself. Richard came over and realized she was having a low blood sugar attack. They were a long ways from the camper and leaving Sue on the beach to go back to the camper to get something for her was not an option. Richard took Fella and Suzieโ€™s leash and supporting Sue he tried to walk her back to the camper. It was too much for him and he buckled under the pressure of carrying Sue and the pulling of the two dogs. Seeing people on the beach he called out for help. At first no one responded but looked in his direction. Realizing Richard needed help two people raced towards them.

โ€œHelp me get Sue back to the camper please?โ€ She is a diabetic and is having a low blood sugar attack, if someone will take the dogs and I can carry Sue.โ€ Richard said.

A young man took the leashes and walked along with Richard and Sue as they made their way back to the campground. Climbing the steps that led from the beach Richard finally collapsed under Sueโ€™s weight.

โ€œIโ€™m not as strong as I use to be,โ€ he said as he tried to catch his breath.

A young woman came over and took Sueโ€™s arm and placed it over her shoulder and said, โ€œTake her other arm and I will help you.โ€

With that Richard took Sueโ€™s other arm and put it over his shoulder as they walked Sue back to the camper. Once there they put Sue gently into a chair and Richard went inside the camper and came out with some juice from a jar of peaches that was loaded with sugar. Giving that to Sue she drank it and soon she was coming back to herself. Assuring everyone Sue was now okay Richard thanked everyone for their help and sat down to rest.

Fella had seen this before but for Suzie it was a first.

โ€œWhat was going on with Mom?โ€ Suzie asked.

โ€œIโ€™m not a doctor but I have heard the old man say when this happens it is a reaction to her medication.โ€™ Fella replied.

โ€œOhโ€ said Suzie. โ€œSo what is wrong with her?โ€

โ€œShe is a diabeticโ€ Fella said. โ€œShe takes medicine to keep her blood sugar in line. With out the medicine she would die.โ€

โ€œGoshโ€ Suzie said โ€œI didnโ€™t know she was sick .โ€

โ€œWell the old man has the same thing and they both do just fine as long as they watch out for each other.โ€ Fella said.

Suzie then began to think about how she might be in danger of losing both Mom and Dad and becoming an orphan.

โ€œWhat happens to us if something happens to them?โ€ Suzie asked with a lump in her throat.

โ€œDonโ€™t worry about that Suzie, there are other things to be more concerned aboutโ€ Fella said.

โ€œJust look at it this way. Nothing is going to happen to you that you canโ€™t survive. I spent years in a campground on my own and there is one thing I have learned. The Ancestors are always watching over you as a Chosen one and you and I both have been chosen for a destiny that cannot be denied. Nothing is going to happen to you that is not already planned for. I have talked with the Ancestors and have seen them, but the Great one, no one has seen because the light that comes from Him is so bright it shrouds Him from view. Look into my eyes and you will see the damage that has been done to them from my trying to look at the Great one the night He came and spoke to me. There were nights that I would be alone and afraid and I just knew my life was about to be over. Then by some miracle something would come along and everything would change for the better. Suzie you have been touched by the Ancestors and given a life that is special. Some day you will know your calling and what it is you have been destined for.

I have come to believe in a place where all things are good and there is no more evil, sickness or disease. All of our needs are taken care of and we will live forever with a renewed body where we will never grow old. We will someday be joined again with our families that we have here on earth and together we will spend eternity walking the fields of green grass, drinking from the crystal clear waters that flow from the mountains enjoying our fellowship one with another. Levi is there now waiting for us to join him. I can see him in my mind as he waits by the Bridge, waiting for Mom and Dad to come and walk across into the land of forever young.โ€

โ€œWow,โ€ Suzie said. โ€œDo you really think there is such a place as that? What would it be called?

โ€œHeaven Suzie, Its called Heaven.โ€ Fella replied.

Wife Sue

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Woodstick, Welcome to the Old Fella thread. It will take a bit to catch up but it is worth it. You might consider checking out the thread on the Old Fella rally in Branson Mo. scheduled for the first week in June 2008. I am hoping for a really good turnout and the chance to meet more of the fine folks of the thread. Have an enjoyable 2008
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

woodstick
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the welcome! We are not at all surprised regarding the interest in the stories you have written, they are wonderful. One of our daughters and family were visiting today and I told them about the "Old Fella" story and the other stories you have been writing on this thread. Of course couldn't do it without tears so we both had tears running! We are so happy for Dixie Flyer!
Rolling Castle Blog

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Let's just say there is interest in the stories I have written on the thread....

Wife Sue