cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

JulieT
Explorer
Explorer
Just a quick question...do any of you have problems with family that don't care for animals as we do? I have a DD that won't let me bring Gordon when I visit. Oh, I can bring him, but have to leave him outside. Gordon is a King Charles Cavalier/Pekinese, my baby, and I just cannot leave him out when I want to visit my grandson. Having a hard time with this. Any help?

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Julie
Have no fear Richard won't stop posting. The stories will keep coming and for all the fur kids it will be right with the world. There are too many people acorss this Blessed country that have been affiliated with this thread that it will not stop. Just FYI this is the longest running single topic thread in the history of the RV.Net forums and all are grateful to Dick (Snowbird) for putting up with all of us.
Dick, I too want to be advised if you are ever near the Buckeye State or actually in NW Ohio. I will find some way to make every attempt to meet you. I personally would like to say thank you for all your assistance in making this thread so heartwarming and popular. If not for this thread, we would have not had the previledge of meeting Richard and Sue and Old Fella nor would we be graced with the presence of Anna.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
The next morning Suzie and Fella were up bright and early. Mom and Dad were busy getting the fur gangโ€™s breakfast ready so they could take their morning walk on the beach. Once outside the weather was nice and warm and a great day to be out exploring the area and meeting new friends. Suzie was busy searching out anything new that would give her a reason to dig or sniff while Fella was just wanting to walk and look at old familiar things. Soon the New Year would come and the old one gone and with it a way of life changed forever. The passing of Levi was so sudden it was hard to believe he was gone. At first Fella expected to see Levi walk in the door any minute with Dad, but as the days wore on all hope of that ever happening were lost. It was nice to be outside with the family enjoying the sights and sounds of a place a dog like Fella could only dream about, but here he was enjoying life with a family given to him in his golden years.

Life for him had been a journey of ups and downs especially the days spent in the campground. Each morning he had to worry if he were going to find something to eat, if it was cold finding a warm place to rest and if it were raining finding a dry place to hold up until it stopped. During the winter months he had it the hardest because his usual customers, the campers were gone for the season and wouldnโ€™t be back until the spring time when the campground would open again. He looked at his Dad and Mom as they all walked together on the beach and gave thanks to the Ancestors for providing for him during those days and for the best miracle of all, being rescued and given a new life with a family that loved him and treated him like family. He has his own bed, and a place in the home and even went on trips with them. It was worth the wait even if it did just about kill him.

Back at the camper everyone relaxed and watched the kids pass by on their bicycles and skate boards while the adults walked with their fur babies on leash enjoying the peaceful times of just being around the beautiful scenery.

Continued:

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
We are all still here!
Barb
Barb and the 4 chocolates

CindyNRoger
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Julie! :B

JulieT
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, just as I finished this entire thread, y'all quit posting. I've been glued to this thread for the past month....having withdrawals now. Dixie, it has been raining non stop here in the N. Ga. mountains. Hope some of it trickles down your way. How's Fella feeling today? My Gordon refuses to get his little paws wet, so I have to tote him out to the roadside to do his business. Luckily, I live in the country, so no traffic. Just chattering to keep this thread alive. Hi to all you furbie lovers.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Okay for now no more mention of the book until I work out some more details, so we will go on with the thread just as we have in the past with the life of Old Fella and Suzie and of course the humans thrown in from time to time.

Sue {Dixie's Darling} just had to break up a fight between Suzie and Izzie. Suzie doesn't know when to stop so Izzie was telling her I've had enough. It is 60* outside a nice start for today with much needed rain in the forecast. I have been working for Sue in her business since Monday, boy do I appreciate what she does now.

Okay I have to go for now and will talk with you later.

Wife Sue

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
I would discuss any actions with your agent. Sorry to seem cynical, but there are a lot of people out there ready to take advantage of a person without knowledge in a particular field, including publishing. The agent's job is to know the legal and business issues involved, and how to get the best possible deal for you and Fella. Ask him to explain the problems involved with your deal, and whether it would be possible to negotiate a better one. The ultimate solution to frustration is knowledge and comprehension. Good luck.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

joang
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked into publishing it yourself? There is a cost up front, but I think if you were to 'pre-sell' copies to interested folks, you could probably cover the cost of the publishing run. Then you could ask local groups and stores to carry extra copies, maybe send some to Amazon!

woodstick
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, sorry to hear about the issues with the book. Sure can understand your feelings of frustration! Will be praying for you! As Dandy Dan says we know you will make the best decision possible in this situation.
Woodstick and Queen of the North
Woody and Patsy and our Furkids-Oreo, a black lab and Cookie, mix of Shihtzu, Bichon, Lhasa Apso
38' Sportsmen Sportster Toy Hauler
Pulled by 2003 3500 Dodge Diesel 6 speed
Rolling Castle Blog
Patsy does all the posting.

whimstock
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, I understand your frustration...but the bottom line still surely has to be EXCITING, EXCITING, EXCITING! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Happy and Jeanie ๐Ÿ™‚

We always have time for the things we put first.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
FRUSTRATED,FRUSTRATED,FRUSTRATED!!!

That is all I can say right now.....

Wife Sue

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Dogdiva, Ellen has a website that last year we tried to get as many folks as possible to go and register the Old Fella story as animal interest thing for Ellen and to my knowledge got absolutely no response from her or the production company.

Richard, sounds like it is time to talk to the agent or your good friend down there reference the book and the legal ramifications. Per our conversation the other night I think I would go with my heart but again that is just my 2 cents and that isn't much. (Maybe copyright?) :B

Hopefully this will get worked out so the Old Fella legacy can continue to remain around the country. You have done so well making hard decisions up to now, I do not think there is anyone on the thread that would question your judgement now......
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, ask and you shall receive. Do that first. You don't want to do anything rash. You might need the proceeds from another book to fund a rescue project. See if you can't get the strings removed. Doesn't hurt to negotiate. Just my 2 cents and opinion.

Becky
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
Richard
I would "sleep on it" you never know what other offers may transpire
Have you thought about contacting Ellen Degenerous, this might be a good time since she has become very active in pet rescue........just my humble opinion..........
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge