cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,293 REPLIES 32,293

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you have the puppy with you too?

Of Course! It wouldn't be a house without the pitter patter of little paws.

Now what is that pulling on my pants leg?

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

bonniesoo
Explorer
Explorer
Whaaaaaat you mean this big white thing ISN'T a continuous water bowl?????? Typical lab......glad he is doing so good. Do you have the puppy with you too? She sure is a cutie.

Hey I have an idea...maybe when Suzie is acting up...Charlie can play "the devil went down to Georgia" for her.....ewwwwwww even though I said it that was a really bad joke!!!!! LOL
Kim & Donna Hale
2009 Monaco Camelot
2016 Ford Explorer

Suki & Mayla- 2 spoiled pekingese
Our precious Mika ( at the Rainbow Bridge)
Hook'em Horns

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If there ever was a doubt as to whether or not Charlie was a house pet it was resolved today. When he came in from outside he went to the toilet to get a drink of water!

Then I think I know the reason he was kicked out, his peedee dribbles while he is sleeping. So we put someting down on the carpet where his is going to lay down.

The puppy is doing well and is learning very fast about messing up where she sleeps and eats. Crate traning is great for any dog when it comes to house breaking.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dashonthedash wrote:
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Dashonthedash wrote:
Dixie Flyer wrote:
I am leaning toward the name โ€œCharlieโ€, it seems to fit his personality. All the Charlieโ€™s I have ever known were laid back people.

Wait a minute... "Charlie Daniels"????? :B:B:B:B

That does have a nice ring to it doesn't it?

Yes, but can he play the fiddle? :B

I can't wait for you to hear him.

Wife Sue

mrskti
Explorer
Explorer
HA! Charlie Daniels, cracks me up! Good choice. He's a doll Richard.
2007 Country Coach Magna aka Maggie
2004 Honda Pilot
Ellie Mae & Dori - Cairn Terriers

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Dashonthedash wrote:
Dixie Flyer wrote:
I am leaning toward the name โ€œCharlieโ€, it seems to fit his personality. All the Charlieโ€™s I have ever known were laid back people.

Yes, but can he play the fiddle? :B
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely get him checked out... I'm sure you're a little gun-shy at this point. Still, its more than likely a touch of arthritis. A glucosamine supplement is probably in order, and fish oil wouldn't hurt, either.

The ball is genetic but you do have to teach him to respect limits with it, or he'll drive you nuts, and/or run himself into the ground. Play with him at times... its good to keep an old dog active... but if he pesters when you don't want to throw, tell him no and make it stick.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

Chemgoddess1
Explorer
Explorer
What a sweetie. Here in Cleveland we have a rescue that is devoted just to senior dogs. Unfortunately as soon as they start getting older and develop illnesses many people just get rid of them. You have to give the previous owner credit at least in taking him to the shelter and not just dumping him on the streets. You do not know the whole story. Maybe he lost his job, maybe he is ill himslef and knows that he can no longer give Charlie the love and attention that he needs. It looks like the old boy knew exactly who to charm.

2007 Fleetwood Utah PUP
Me (Pam)
John (husband)
Ian
Ben
Quincy (My heart dog, Rainbow Bridge January 2015)
Chloe (very lucky rescue furkid)
Spike (Iguana eating all the strawberries he can on the other end of the rainbow)

[purple]live well, laugh often, love much[/purple]

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Today as I watched Charlie in the back yard he reminds me so much of Fella. The biggest difference I see is Charlie is able to move around more and is more playful. Fella has his problems with his legs and feet. He wanted to play with Suzie and he acted is if he wanted to chase after the ball, but his body just wouldn't let him.

Charlie picked up a stick in the yard and brought it to me so I tossed it and he chased after it until he found the Frisbee. Then that is all he wanted to do. I see a limp in his front leg much like Fella started out with so next week I will take him for x-rays of the shoulder just to see what is going on. He and Suzie have disappeared toward the bedroom so I had better go and check it out.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dashonthedash wrote:
Dixie Flyer wrote:

Wife Sue

newk
Explorer
Explorer
Good for you, Richard. "Charlie" looks and sounds like a great dog. My son has a chocolate lab that's a real sweetie, especially now that she's almost 9 years old and has mellowed out.

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:

Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Remember this? It's good sometime to go back and remember.
Amazing Journey The Anna {now Tia} Story

Wife Sue

campingshadow
Explorer
Explorer
He is a beautiful old dog, and I do believe Old Fella sent him to you to help you deal with your heartache. Labs, in my opinion, are one of the best breeds on earth as an all around family companion. They are ever so playful and I am sure when you take him to the shore, he will absolutely love the water. Don't forget, you ARE dealing with a retriever.....he is just showing a breed trait with those balls. We can rejoice in that he has the will and desire to play and the four good paws to carry him and apparently a lot of good years left.

Makes you wonder why anyone would turn in a gentle soul such as this dog.....unless it were destined to be. Your work is not done, this is but a new chapter.

As much as we loved Old Fella and we will miss him forever, it is good that you have this new boy and we can look forward to more stories from you about him and your endeavors to make the world a better place for all lost, scared, or abandoned strays.
Shadow and LD
Angel. 15 lb Toy Fox Terrier

2001 Damon Intruder. 349. Class A

Semi-retired and loving it!!!!

MNSmurf
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, I'm really sorry to hear about Old Fella.

Dixie Flyer wrote:
He has a tremendous ball faddish. When he first came into the house he found one of Suzieโ€™s tennis balls. He brought it to me and we have been playing ball ever since, he doesnโ€™t get enough of it. Last night he brought me every ball he could find in the toy box and placed them at my feet.

He's a Lab.....wanting to play ball is genetic.
Smurf, SWMBO, and the RugRats
Max the Dog
2000 F250 V-10
2005 Cherokee Lite 285B

"How many days of vacation do I have left?"