cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is Bullet. His owner died and he has no where to go. He is ten years old and is a house dog. Up to date on his shots and ready for adoption.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
May be they need some email..

Wife Sue

campingshadow
Explorer
Explorer
You can see every rib on that dog and then a heavy chain hanging off it's neck....and this is the image the town wants to give of being friendly???? Yikes!

Obviously, the person that designed the website did not talk to Richard prior to doing so. It is not too late......maybe they can replace that awful picture with one of Old Fella. Sure would be a lot more welcoming.
Shadow and LD
Angel. 15 lb Toy Fox Terrier

2001 Damon Intruder. 349. Class A

Semi-retired and loving it!!!!

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
I couldn't find anything that would point you any kind of animal shelters or control on the website. And why does that dog have a chain on it, whats it chained too?
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

agteacher
Explorer
Explorer
It's not a picture of Burke County's most famous pioneer? The one and only Old Fella should be represented
camping buddies - my husband,:R
American Eskimo - Baby
07 Lance 915
2015 Ram 3500 Lonestar Edition
01 International 4700 - SOLD
99 Dodge 3500 Quad Long Bed,Cummins,Rhino Liner
06 WW SLC 3505 - SOLD
48 Ford 8N was a rustbucket
52 Ford 8N w/ Sherman 54B HydroHoe

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dashonthedash wrote:
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Do you see anything wrong with this web page

Burke County, Georgia web site

That dog didn't look like it was getting any of the three...:M

What it says to me is put him on a chain and throw him into the back yard. It just paints an image of the Deep South that some people have come to expect.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
In that last picture Sarah looks like she has seen something she is interested in.

Wife Sue

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
Sarah looks like she is wondering what she did to get sent away.....

Keep reassuring her and love on her
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:

That dog didn't look like it was getting any of the three...:M
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
This is sure different than Georgia.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, You hang your Christmas lights the same way I do.:B:B:B:B:B
Think I might send an e-mail to Liz and ask about the chained up dog for the picture.
Let Anna and Sarah out of their kennels this morning and put their coats on to go out and Sarah was just bouncing all over with tail whipping. Still haven't heard her say anything. Will let you know about the appointment this afternoon
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Honey don't forget to hang the Christmas lights before you leave for the golf Course.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

Wife Sue

TomW2
Explorer
Explorer
Gentle Spirit wrote:
...I tried taking Wolfie with me so he'd get some exercise - but he kept stopping to investigate things and pulling me off the bike!

I know exactly what you are referring to. One day a few years ago I decided to take our dogs out for some exercise. My dog, a 20 # Fox Terrier, did just fine keeping up with the bike while on the retractable leash. I then took my wife's 40 # terrier cross. A quarter mile from home he decided he needed to stop and leave his fertilizer contribution. I noticed what was going on but was I smart enough to drop the leash? Heck no. I ended up on my back with the wind knocked out of me. That reminded me of my youth when I was always getting the wind knocked out of me.
Tom (driver, navigator & cook)
Ruth (bottle washer)
Dollie (wire haired fox terrier)
Buddy (terrier cross - pound puppy)
2004 Minnie Winnie 30V
2005 Suzuki XL-7 4x4
US Gear Tow Brake
Roadmaster All Terrain Falcon 2 tow bar

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. This morning the sun is shining and the outside temp is 42* and the ground is wet from all the rain. Suzie and Peaches are doing great and enjoying the Christmas season. The pictures of Sarah reminds me of a little dog that was in so much trouble when she came to us and I canโ€™t help but think of her as a frail little girl who needs a lot of TLC. The picture of her in Jenniโ€™s car tells me of her concern about where she was going and where is Richard and Sue? Dan and Lori will make a big difference in her life and when she finally accepts them as her parents she will be fine. She has been through a lot in the last month and this change of homes must have been puzzling to her. But I am sure she will adjust to her new life with Dan, Lori and Anna and when we see her again in April it will be a great reunion.
Well I asked Santa Claus for a bicycle for Christmas and he wanted to know if I had a resume and a list of folks as a character reference. The resume was to let him know if I would qualify as a good bike rider, being courteous on the bike trails and to stop and help the elderly along the way. I told him I would qualify as elderly and that I would be looking for help myself, like someone to help me up the long steep hills when I got tired. He looked at me and said, โ€œMaybe you donโ€™t need a bicycle, you might break a leg or something.โ€ It reminded me of โ€œYouโ€™ll shoot your eye out.โ€ But anyway I have taken a lot of lessons from Ralphie and am going to watch the movie over and over again just to make sure I get it right, after all Ralphie did get his Red Ryder BB gun and he did almost shoot his eye out, but it all turned into a nice Christmas story with a happy ending.

The Old Fella Memorial is taking shape and hopefully we will have it in January along with the other surprise that is coming. Next year will be the year for Old Fella to be recognized Nationally and to insure his legacy will live on in the hearts of the people. What a wonderful thing for an old dog that lived his life for so many years in obscurity and to emerge as an icon for all the old strays of America. At last his story will be known by many who will cherish his memory and the work that was begun in his name. I thank God I was chosen to be his keeper even if it was for a very short time. Those three years gave me a lot of memories that I will always hold dear as perhaps some of the best of times.

Wife Sue