cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Affinity Group and Good Sam, good guess.. Now think really big...

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Missy120
Explorer
Explorer
Something with the GoodSam club?

butterfly_girl
Explorer
Explorer
Old Fella will be the new National Symbol for the Affinity Group.....he will be displayed on all affinity publications and letterheads and such
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
Live life as a gift you unwrap daily

Sharon
Hubby...bob-88Bounder
Poky the Dog...and Ally the Dog.. Both rescued dogs.
OUR RIG.. 1988 34' Bounder...
Rincon Beach, Ventura Calif
Our BLOG
1 Romantic Wedding

My Space Page

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
agteacher wrote:
Which one of the organizations for pet adoption has picked up the Old Fella name and is taking it national with you as the spokesperson?

I will be a spokesperson at the rally in April for the rescue effort, but the recognition that has come is from a large Corporation that specializes in promoting the RV industry with publications and the worlds largest RV club.

Wife Sue

agteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Which one of the organizations for pet adoption has picked up the Old Fella name and is taking it national with you as the spokesperson?
camping buddies - my husband,:R
American Eskimo - Baby
07 Lance 915
2015 Ram 3500 Lonestar Edition
01 International 4700 - SOLD
99 Dodge 3500 Quad Long Bed,Cummins,Rhino Liner
06 WW SLC 3505 - SOLD
48 Ford 8N was a rustbucket
52 Ford 8N w/ Sherman 54B HydroHoe

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
butterfly girl wrote:
Richard and Sue are going to be on the Good Sam Float in the Rose Parade

Hmmmm, now that could be a possibility a little later down the road.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
fulltimegrams22 wrote:
I think I want to try at this guessing thing....

The official Old Fella transport across the nation with fellow RV'ers and of course animal lovers to boot!!!

All set up on the magazine network!!!! :B

Bigger than that!!

Wife Sue

butterfly_girl
Explorer
Explorer
Richard and Sue are going to be on the Good Sam Float in the Rose Parade
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
Live life as a gift you unwrap daily

Sharon
Hubby...bob-88Bounder
Poky the Dog...and Ally the Dog.. Both rescued dogs.
OUR RIG.. 1988 34' Bounder...
Rincon Beach, Ventura Calif
Our BLOG
1 Romantic Wedding

My Space Page

fulltimegrams22
Explorer
Explorer
I think I want to try at this guessing thing....

The official Old Fella transport across the nation with fellow RV'ers and of course animal lovers to boot!!!

All set up on the magazine network!!!! :B

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If any of you would like to join us in Albuquerque, New Mexico next April we have 15 sites for the first fifteen that want to register. That way you can come and help us celebrate as a group.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
agteacher wrote:
Well let's see, they don't have a pet section in highways magazine or do they now? Would that be the surprise and it's named after Old Fella? That's my guess.

Its bigger than that!

Wife Sue

agteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Well let's see, they don't have a pet section in highways magazine or do they now? Would that be the surprise and it's named after Old Fella? That's my guess.
camping buddies - my husband,:R
American Eskimo - Baby
07 Lance 915
2015 Ram 3500 Lonestar Edition
01 International 4700 - SOLD
99 Dodge 3500 Quad Long Bed,Cummins,Rhino Liner
06 WW SLC 3505 - SOLD
48 Ford 8N was a rustbucket
52 Ford 8N w/ Sherman 54B HydroHoe

E_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
I hope you guys are having fun. I'm dieing to know.:R
E.Texan

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, I guess that after the news spreads like wildfire through the Highways Magazine, someone will probably put the secret online for all to know. It is something to watch everyone guess as to what the thing is.:B:B:B:B:B
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
Ohhhhhhh i dont get the Highways Magazine, how will i fdind out the great news???????
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge