cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Merry Christmas to all. A very special wish to Richard and Sue, God Bless you both for all that you do for our furbabies. I'm sure that God will bless and watch over you both during these Holidays. You are true Angels.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We made it! Poor Suzie didn't do well however. It was the first trip for her since Virginia and she got so sick it was pitiful. I had a big mess to clean up when we got here. I have tried everything I know and nothing seems to help. Maybe someday she will be okay.

We are excited about being with the kids at Christmas and then I look forward to our trip to the beach Sunday. I hope everyone has a blessed Christmas and Santa is good to each of you. Take care and I will talk with you later

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
Merry Christmas and a Blessed and Healthy New Year to all humans and furbabies
Be safe in your travels and happy each day, as it is a gift to cherish.....
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
Merry Christmas for to all, human and furkids alike.
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Merry Christmas to all. We are leaving now for Greenville.

Wife Sue

woodstick
Explorer
Explorer
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all! Be safe and hope you all have the best year ever!
Woodstick and Queen of the North
Woody and Patsy and our Furkids-Oreo, a black lab and Cookie, mix of Shihtzu, Bichon, Lhasa Apso
38' Sportsmen Sportster Toy Hauler
Pulled by 2003 3500 Dodge Diesel 6 speed
Rolling Castle Blog
Patsy does all the posting.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Merry Christmas to all the FOOF'S

butterfly_girl
Explorer
Explorer
Merry Christmas to all the FOOF's...

Safe travels to everyone....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUtPKbMwnRo
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
Live life as a gift you unwrap daily

Sharon
Hubby...bob-88Bounder
Poky the Dog...and Ally the Dog.. Both rescued dogs.
OUR RIG.. 1988 34' Bounder...
Rincon Beach, Ventura Calif
Our BLOG
1 Romantic Wedding

My Space Page

chemisd
Explorer
Explorer
The baby is beautiful......I miss that part sometimes. My boys are 10 and 11 and still are very demonstrative with hugs and kisses. They go to my school where I teach and it is nothing for one of them to sneak up behind me and give me a hug or kiss. I have never thought much of it because that is how our family is, until one of the teachers mentioned that was so neat that they would do that. Wow. Something I had totally taken for granted, yet apparently is rare for the teachers to see. At times, when we had had a rough morning, I would sneak into their rooms just to give them a quick hug and move on. I always explained either before or later to their teachers. And sometimes, there are kids that would say hey I want a hug, and once I even hugged every kid in the class. I feel so blessed right now!
Ok...how in the dickens did I get so far off topic???
It was the baby! Enjoy every minute because those years just fly!
For all those traveling, be careful. We will also be heading to PA over the holidays....Gary, maybe we will pass each other on the street and never even know it!
Happy Holidays everyone!
Chemisd's
Joe,Jana,Jarod,Jansen
GS Allie and Sammi
See you at the bridge Maddey&Maicey
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

2004 Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, 5.7L hemi
http://www.didomenicos.com

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
That poor Aussie needs to be someone's working dog. I hope one of the herding competitors recognizes his potential and takes him on...

Merry Christmas to all, and may all the homeless animals find happy, loving forever homes.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wednesday Sue and I with the fur gang will leave for Greenville, SC for Christmas. We will return home on Saturday and then on Sunday we leave for Hunting Island, SC for a week.

Keep the thread going while we are gone and keep it on page one. Merry Christmas everyone and may God bless each and every one of you.

Wife Sue

campingshadow
Explorer
Explorer
StuckinTracy wrote:
Congratulations Richard, well deserved.. I haven't posted on this thread before, but have been following along for the last couple of years and know quite a few of the regular posters.

Campingshadow, how is "our son" getting along?

MIKE!!!!!!! Welcome to the thread. How are you doing, darlin'??? Oh, how I have missed you. I am so glad to hear you are still out and about and going to rallies. "Our son" is fine. Still just as naughty as ever. I think he yearns for Candi. I will PM you with more.

Richard....That Aussie sounds like a real handful. Hopefully, someone will be looking for him and come and get him.

I just want to wish a Merry Christmas to all furkids and Foofs. May your New Year be happy and bright.
Shadow and LD
Angel. 15 lb Toy Fox Terrier

2001 Damon Intruder. 349. Class A

Semi-retired and loving it!!!!

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dandy Dan wrote:
Dixie, Since you are not riding your bicycle yet, maybe the fella upstairs is trying to tell you that exercise is in your future. Seems it would be easier to just put the back of the bike on jackstands and ride in the house.:B:B:B

Sue has had me out everyday on the bike except for yestaerday which was toooo busy for anything else but rescue work. I really enjoy the bike and the time spent out riding around the city. It is great exercise especially when I let Sue ride up front and drag me along behind her.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
CindyNRoger wrote:
Roger and I want to wish you all a very MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are heading west tomorrow as soon as I get off work. We are going to surprise my parents for Christmas. Looks like we will be heading into the snow, so hope the plows are out!

Be careful and may you have a blessed Christmas.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
dogdiva wrote:
RIchard and Sue
THe award you are honored with is much deserved,,,,,,Your dedication to animal rescue that was inspired by one loving old dog , has inspired so many and hopefully will continue to inspire all who know you and the story of Fella

i truely want to attend the rally in NM, and am trying to figure out how to swing it

As to the Aussie Shep, is this dog at your house???? Why keep it outside, they love to "herd" and probably would enjoy the company of Susie and Peaches and terrify the poor cat......How old is this guy????

I am sure COde2 has some terrific ideas to help you

The Aussie is at a foster home down the street from Sue and I. See it doesn't pay to live too close to us, you might become a foster home. You can't trust him outside without being in a fence high enough so he can't climb it, so deep in the ground he can't dig under it and for goodness sake when you open the gate to squeeze yourself inside make sure there isn't enough space for him to dart past you. The pattern in the fence is in squares about 12inches by 12 inches and he managed to put his head through one of the squares and then got his whole body through it and he isn't that small of a dog!!

I found him yesterday at the city park playing with the kids, trying to heard them into a little group. He was having fun but the kids didn't understand what he was doing and was terrified. When I got there and saw what was happening I made sure the kids understood he was playing and didn't intend to harm them. I made the mistake of throwing a ball one of the kids had and when he went sfter it he kept on going. Finally I found him again and brought himk back to the foster home.

Sam is a young dog, I would say maybe two years old or less, full of energy and loves to run and run and run and run. His next best thing is he loves to eat and eat and eat.

Wife Sue