cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

woodstick
Explorer
Explorer
Wow I have not been here in awhile (bought a new computer and had a time getting all "stuff" transferred and working)and so much has happened!!
Richard I was so happy to read the post where you finally managed to get the last dog, "Shadow", what a great man you are, you have the patience and persistence that few people have. I agree with the posters that mentioned you have a wonderful wife also that obviously shares your love of animals. Good Luck to you and Sue and hope the Vet check turns out well. God Bless you and Sue!
Woodstick and Queen of the North
Woody and Patsy and our Furkids-Oreo, a black lab and Cookie, mix of Shihtzu, Bichon, Lhasa Apso
38' Sportsmen Sportster Toy Hauler
Pulled by 2003 3500 Dodge Diesel 6 speed
Rolling Castle Blog
Patsy does all the posting.

honeygirl
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone, Let me introduce myself...My name is Jacqueline. I am the link to the "OLD MAN" you speak of. I have spent the last couple of hours reading over all your comments and good wishes to Richard. It is late and I am so tired but wanted to come say hello and to thank you Richard and all of you who have cared enough to help or to lend advice to help the two old dogs which Richard has now informed you that they are Mother and daughter which I read on the back of a picture CY (the old man)had sent to me. I will tell you more of my story tomorrow when I am not so tired....but know that all of you who are so kind to think of wonderful names for the dogs....that I will as soon as I can put names to the dogs...Their "given names" as soon as I ask the old man. I can't remember the names he might of called them while talking to me....however you can be sure that they do have names!!!! Every cat that he had, over 50 of them...each had a name and he knew which ones were which, by their markings. You are right...The old man is without a doubt one of you!!! He loves those animals more than his own life and lived to rescue them and feed them before he fed himself. I will tell you more hopefully tomorrow but for now I will say good night. And believe it or not...the blonde is the mother!

Jacqueline

ps: I'm not sure how this site works so I hope this is going to go in the right forum...bye for now

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK Richard, I'm assuming the blond one is the daughter so I'm going to suggest you call her Meha which is Spanish for Daughter. Although it would be better to call them by their original names if you can get them from the family. Do you have any history on the gentleman? Is any of his family visiting him?
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Speaking to a realitive of the family, I just found out this is mother and daughter

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hoops wrote:
Richard, so glad you got the other dog. I was wondering about Claire. Her forever home got lost in the rescue operation. Are you keeping all 3 of the last dogs?

I did not feel the home that Claire was going to was suitable for her. She is still with us.

Wife Sue

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, so glad you got the other dog. I was wondering about Claire. Her forever home got lost in the rescue operation. Are you keeping all 3 of the last dogs?
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
vickiebec wrote:
Code2High wrote:
Richard, I do hope you can get over to see the old man... I realize he may be old and sick and demented and a pain in the ass, and his house may be a mess and he may be a lot of dang work... but it sounds more and more like he is one of "us" at heart and loved and cared for animals that he probably found dumped out there. It would be such a kindness to at least let him know that his friends are getting the care they need.

He may even feel better knowing they are taken care of.

I will try tomorrow to contact him and let him know, maybe I can find out the names of the two old dogs. Who knows as someone said this may be the beginning of a whole new chapter in the legacy of Old fella.

Wife Sue

vickiebec
Explorer
Explorer
Code2High wrote:
Richard, I do hope you can get over to see the old man... I realize he may be old and sick and demented and a pain in the ass, and his house may be a mess and he may be a lot of dang work... but it sounds more and more like he is one of "us" at heart and loved and cared for animals that he probably found dumped out there. It would be such a kindness to at least let him know that his friends are getting the care they need.

He may even feel better knowing they are taken care of.
Vickie Wallis
Roseville, CA
2010 Mini Cooper Convertable

ElBigDodgeO
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, I am so glad that you finally caught the old dogs and they are healthy. I knew your persistence would pay off. I think Old Fella was rooting for you from the other side of the bridge. Old dogs just break your heart, don't they? Scared, worried, and yet hopeful and responsive to love. I was so blessed to have my Enya, whom I adopted at 8 years old, until she crossed the bridge when she was 12.

For your hands, I strongly recommend plant-based oils and creams as opposed to petroleum-based products. Sure, the petroleum based products may have been derived from plants, but VERY old plants. If there is anything to energy-healing theory, it seems that oils from recently deceased plants would be more effective. OK, I'm a bit nutty but give it a try.

Sandi
Still on the Road
2016 Coachman Freelander

Traveling with Maggie and Bruce Lee

"This is our Kingdom of Days"

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
joelbaker wrote:
Richard, you surely have been chosen for this mission. I like Old Gal for the latest catch; it is just as if she is a female version of Old Fella. I feel it in my bones that she will become a loyal and beloved member of your family. Truly awesome!

I hope you are right about her becoming like Old Fella. There are a lot of simularities there, that's for sure. She was just as hard to catch as Fella and I sense she has a really sweet and gentle spirit. As afraid as she was she never tried to bite me or give any indication that she might try. I believe she will be just an added joy to our lives and the answer I have been searching for in an older dog.

Wife Sue

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
campingshadow wrote:
I wish there were more like you in this world. It would definitely be a better world.

There may not be many quite like Richard and Sue, but there have been over 13,000 replies to this thread by those like you, which does give us Hope.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

joelbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, you surely have been chosen for this mission. I like Old Gal for the latest catch; it is just as if she is a female version of Old Fella. I feel it in my bones that she will become a loyal and beloved member of your family. Truly awesome!
Joel & Bonnie
3 boys and 4 dogs
No coach right now ๐Ÿ˜ž
Rallies Attended: 8;Gatherings Attended: 3

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Next week we will start on the rescue of the cats. That should be an easier job than with the dogs as most of them are tame and will come running for the food. I will just carry a crate and put food in it and when they are inside eating I will just close the door and bring them back and drop them off at Dr. Ford's. I will let her worry about opening the crate and getting them out. She will have cats all over the office, maybe even some hanging from the ceiling.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
StuckinTracy wrote:
Dixie Flyer wrote:
The blonde dog is at Dr. Ford's and she closes her office at noon on Saturday. So I had to Shadow somewhere until the office opens on Monday. Monday will be here soon enough and then there will be a great reunion.

Have you checked to make sure Dr. Ford's is open Monday? It's a holiday (MLK day) and our vet is closed (tried to make an appointment to get Bud checked out). Just a thought for you to avoid wasting a trip.

Haven't even thought of that!

Wife Sue