cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

Gentle_Spirit
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to send a "Get Well" card to CY - is it possible to get the Hospitals address. He needs to know that he is now a part of our FOOF family and that we care and are praying for him. I think that as many of us as possible should send him a card - not email, or print-outs - but a nice "Get Well" cards telling him that we care.

Jacqueline - maybe you can give me the means to follow through on this??????

Richard - the photos of mom and daughter's reunion is beautiful, thank you. BTW, don't give up on a forever home for Claire - she's beautiful and young - someone will love her.
Carole Winch, husband George
Wolfie-Malamute/wolf mix
Tiger-cat/Spicey-cat

07 National Pacifica Diesel Pusher, 36'
05 Honda Pilot - toad

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the Old Fella thread, Jacqueline. We all look forward to hearing more about Cy and his animals, and thank you for caring about them, and for taking the time to read the thread and fill us in on the details of this latest chapter in The Old Fella Story.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Jacqueline, welcome to the FOOFs thread (Friends of Old Fella). We'd love to know more about Cy and his beloved animals -- he'd most definitely be one of us. And thank you for helping Richard to help Cy.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jacqueline,
Thank you for letting us know Cy's name. There was no doubt in our minds that the dogs and cats has a caring person who loves them dearly. I'm sure he has to be worried about them, but if someone could let him know they are in the best of care with Richard and Sue it would take a lot of his worries away. Our thoughts and prayers are with Cy. To take in so many animals and care for them, he must be a really nice person. Can't wait to hear more about him and also the Dogs names.
God Bless,
Joe, Angie, Cookie & Rocky
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

chemisd
Explorer
Explorer
website looks great!
I'm sure the girls were glad to get back together!
Chemisd's
Joe,Jana,Jarod,Jansen
GS Allie and Sammi
See you at the bridge Maddey&Maicey
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

2004 Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, 5.7L hemi
http://www.didomenicos.com

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
New website for the Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue

This is great!!!

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We arrived at the vet's office this morning.

In the exam room being tested for heartworms and getting all of the shots. She was minimal positive for heartworm. Will use heartguard instead of going through the treatment.

Together again. What a happy reunion.

They will be coming home Thursday

Wife Sue

E_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
I agree whimstock.
E.Texan

whimstock
Explorer
Explorer
My favorite place on the Forum just keeps getting better and better.

I can't wait to hear more about Cy and his pets. What a heart-warming thread this is!

๐Ÿ™‚

Happy and Jeanie ๐Ÿ™‚

We always have time for the things we put first.

chemisd
Explorer
Explorer
Jacqueline...
Welcome! It is nice to have the older gentleman's name - Cy - so we can now refer to him as that. What a surprise that the blond dog is actually the mom??? We will all be anxious to hear about Cy and his story. I do feel that if somehow someone could let him know that his animals are being taken care of, he will be able to settle down at least mentally. If he is "to himself", but does not have visitors, perhaps we could all write good wishes to him via the forum and someone could print them and mail them or take them to the hospital. I know this "family" on here will do what we can!
Richard, thanks again for your diligence in getting both dogs. I hope that you are able to get them together soon for a reunion.
Jana
Chemisd's
Joe,Jana,Jarod,Jansen
GS Allie and Sammi
See you at the bridge Maddey&Maicey
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

2004 Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, 5.7L hemi
http://www.didomenicos.com

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Good Morning Jacqueline, Welcome to the biggest family in the country. I have had the personal pleasure of meeting and being in the home of Richard and Sue. You will not find 2 nicer kind people in the world. You see, our family consists of 2 of the dogs that Richard rescued. Anna, he rescued as a puppy from under a dumpster along with her 3 sisters. Sarah, richard nursed back to health after she had been struck by a motor vehicle and left along the highway for dead. Please tell Cy that his aniimals could not be in better care than Richard and Sue. God Bless.
First meeting with Richard and Anna:

And Sarah:
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Missy120
Explorer
Explorer
I am so glad I came on hear this morning to find that you were able to ger her and now they will be together in their forever home with you. What a wonderful person you Dixie Flyer.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
After speaking with Jaqueline last night I invited her to join us so we could know the rest of the story. I am sure she can fill in a lot of blanks for us. As she says you can tell he loved his pets and provided for them even after he was not able. He left enough can food for the cats to feed them ever since I have been going out to his place to feed them. In a few days the food supply will be gone, but I hope by then we will start moving the cats to another place.

This morning mother and daughter, the two old dogs will be reunited and I hope they will never be apart ever again until one of them crosses Rainbow Bridge. There is such a love story here that begs to be told and I hope someday there will be enough information for everyone to know about it. I am told Cy always took care of the animals sometimes before himself.

Wife Sue

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
Jaqueline
It is wonderful that you took the time to come in the forum. CY will be in our prayers.
Thank you for sharing and look forward to your posts in here
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
Jaqueline, welcome aboard, and thanks for stopping in to give us some intel on CY, who I'm sure we will happily call by his name now that we know it. He surely seems to be someone who loves his furbabies and we all understand that around here.

I have reason also to understand just how bad being stuck in a hospital setting for a while is, so he has my sympathy on that score. I hope that at least he can gain some comfort from hearing that the animals are being cared for in his absence, and have people available to find them new homes.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.