cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hoops wrote:
Is that lap of yours big enough for all of them to snuggle? I take it Claire is beginning to share you and Sue with the others?

Only if they just lay their heads in my lap. Claire is becoming a sweetheart about sharing. We had to make a run to Claxton, Georgia yesterday and we took Claire and Peaches with us. They enjoyed the ride and being with their humans.

I hope someone steps up and adopts Claire as it would take some of the load off of us and she deserves a nice home where she can be the Queen Bee. She and Suzie get along so good together now and play very hard during the day without tempers flaring.

Hobo and Mama are doing great and adjusting to life with the Daniels. Everyday Hobo is losing her fear and is now getting the point she wants to play with me and doesn't runaway when I reach for her. They bothe love their kennel crate and will go in and rest during the day with the door open. Hobo will sleep with one foot out the door, I guess to insure someone doesn't come and close the door on her.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
Is that lap of yours big enough for all of them to snuggle? I take it Claire is beginning to share you and Sue with the others?
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tonight as I watched TV Mama came, climbed up on the couch with me while Hobo snuggled in also. I cannot tell you how great it was to have both Hobo and Mama sleeping with their heads in my lap, one on one side and one on the other.

Wife Sue

maltese-lover2
Explorer
Explorer
There really is no greater gift than watching your rescue furbabies flourish and grow and gain trust in their human caretakers. We got one of our maltese from a puppy mill last January and it seems that every little bit of change for the good is such a joy to watch. I don't know how you all feel but it seems like a "rescue" is so grateful for being given a second chance that they go out of their way to try just a little harder than normal to please. ongratulations Richard and Sue on your new additions to your family.

Scott and I (and our 5 maltese) are really looking forward to meeting everyone at the Rally in Albuquerque in April. I sure hope we can fill up the spots they have reserved for the FOOF's.

Gigi
Scott, Gigi + 7 maltese
2005 Safari Cheetah

chrisnpat
Explorer
Explorer
From those pictures, Wouldn't you just love to live in Richard and Sue's home?:) Such a happy time, thanks for posting the pics.
Christine and Patrick
Cocker Spaniels
Trevor and two Fosters Kahlua and Blossom
Life is What happens to you while your busy making plans.

honeygirl
Explorer
Explorer
The pictures are beautiful Richard and Sue. It helps me to see Hobo and Mama so happy. I know Cy would be so pleased!!! Thank you for taking them in. I love seeing them!

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
RIchard and Sue
I am so glad all is working out with the furbabies. It will surely be interesting when you go camping. I started RVing with 5 dogs but instead of having to walk each one, I have a fence i put up along one side of the RV
Thanks for your dedication and perserverance, I know the dogs really appreciate a good home.
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
One huge dog! 110 pounds worth...

One happy dog

Two content dogs

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am still amazed at how well Mama and Hobo are doing. All five dogs are getting along just like peas in a pod. At night they go out just before bed and come back in and kennel up without a problem. Tonight Claire was very, very good and went out whne told and came back in with the group and then went to her kennel and went in for the night. I can always count of Suzie and Peaches to do what is expected of them without any problem at all. I must say Suzie and Peaches are very obedient and certainly want to please.

We now have all five crate trained, house trained,come when they are called and behave themselves while in the house. They all respect Izzie and don't chase him, he wouldn't run anyway. God is so good and has given us six wonderful fur babies, that includes Izzie and a wonderful out look on life. I is wonderful when God gives you something that you are not looking for and makes the gift more wonderful than you had ever hoped for. I am so please with Mama and Hobo and I hope they are pleased with their new home.

I gave Mama Fella's old collar and I gave Hobo Levi's old collar, that makes them offical house members of the Daniels clan.

Wife Sue

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie said:
I was thinking about asking you to let Claire come and visit you and Willow. I will send plenty of food, at least a year's supply

For some reason this sorta sounds familiar.:B:B:B:B:B
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
kokosfriend wrote:
Can Willow come visit - she needs more than BenBen to play with!!! She is so "puppy!"

Barb

I was thinking about asking you to let Claire come and visit you and Willow. I will send plenty of food, at least a year's supply.

Wife Sue

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
Can Willow come visit - she needs more than BenBen to play with!!! She is so "puppy!"

Barb
Barb and the 4 chocolates

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last night Claire decided she wasn't going out side and hid under the bed in our bedroom. I had to drag her out and put her outside. Before putting her outside I put the shock collar on her for just in case I met with further resistance. Then when everyone came in she was hidding in the back yard and would not come. I got Suzie to go outside with me in hopes Claire would come to Suzie, but she wouldn't. I pushed the button on the remote for the collar and I heard a yelp as she jumped into high gear and went inside without further argument and kenneled up.

This morning all was well with her and she was very obedient going outside with the rest of the fur gang, but I had to go out to her with a leash to bring her inside. She now associates Hobo and Mama with the shock collar as she trembles with fear as she goes past them coming through the back room. Go figure----

Right now she and Suzie are playing in the family room as they roll and tumble with each other making happy noises. Life is so grand when you are a puppy and have a best friend to play with she says.

Wife Sue

honeygirl
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone.....I was looking to see since I can't remember when I first contacted CY years ago. looks like the oldest correspondence that has a date on it... May 1999. So I would say I found him probably back in 1998. I knew it had been many years.

I love Family history, I was trying to track down family members that I did not know but had pictures or names in my possession. After some research I located the son of my mothers half brother who has the same name as Cy and found that they were not interested in talking to me so the son, gave me Cy's name and how to get intouch with him to ask him family history information. Cy is my mothers Cousin. AND SO OUR FRIENDSHIP BEGAN!

Stay tune.....

Jacueline

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
Poor circulation and poor mental function will tend to be linked from a couple cases I've seen... Not that dementia can't be an on and off thing, but if he's having spells where his brain isn't getting adequate oxygen, that will definitely produce more of a problem.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.