cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Good Morning All, Sarah and Anna went out and played in the snow for a while. It has now warmed up to 4 with a windchill of -16. We are to reach a balmy 28 today. That will be nice expecially if we have sunshine.
Carol-Nice looking Class A. do hope to see it in person as well as getting the chance to meet you and hear more about your walkers.

Richard, I told Lori about the conversation last night and maybe we will try to follow you home after the Rally and go to the Memorial. That would make a good sized circle of scenery. You said Suzie and the other are like two agitators in the washing machine. You sure that isn't aligators???:B:B:B:B:B

If anyone has a small stock trailer that can be double pulled, Richard will be needing one soon as the family keeps growing if he intends to bring all the family to the Rally and camping.

Hope you all have a good and safe weekend.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
This morning it was 29* when I got up and let the dogs out. Mama continues on her sweet ways while Hobo is still shy and reclusive. Claire and Suzie are like turbo washing machines. Itโ€™s like having two agitators in one machine. Peaches tries to stay out of the way, but still wants to be in the mix as these two terrorize anything moving in the back yard.

Suzie and Peaches have this thing when they are let out first thing in the morning. they run to the pecan tree as if chasing a squirrel and make a turn around the base of the tree looking upward for the imaginary squirrel they has just chased. When Claire first came she would set back and watch Suzie and Peaches do the turn around the tree with that look on her face, โ€œAre they crazy?โ€ Then Claire also began the imaginary chase in the mornings going around the tree barking and looking upward as if she too had chased a squirrel.

Then Hobo and Mama come into the house whole, older wiser dogs not prone to imaginary things and used to being outside most of the time. Squirrels are not on their list of interesting things to do. At first they watched Peaches, Claire and Suzie do the morning chase around the tree, by the way you should see the hole or trench the dogs have made at the base of the tree, it has become very deep. Anyway the three now have an audience as Mama and Hobo watch from the porch. It took a while before they decided this looks like fun, so now Mama and Hobo have joined in the morning chase. Mama with her bad hips looks so funny running towards the tree trailing the younger faster four legged fur babies, but it doesnโ€™t discourage her in trying. Then Mama, Hobo and Peaches do their thing and are ready to come back inside leaving the two whirlwind dogs in the back yard to chase each other, running tumbling across the lawn hard at play. What a great way to start the day as I watch from the window at two puppies having their time enjoying life to the fullest.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

chemisd
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of wonderful things going on!

Gary - I think that was pretty funny about us being rv.net addicts....this thread alone has had me on multiple times PER DAY when Old Fella was going through some of his tough times. Wow....what a ride...

Hope all of you out there in the freezer called OH are hanging in there! I'm greatful to have heat and power!
Chemisd's
Joe,Jana,Jarod,Jansen
GS Allie and Sammi
See you at the bridge Maddey&Maicey
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

2004 Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, 5.7L hemi
http://www.didomenicos.com

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gentle Spirit wrote:
Richard - That photo looks just like it, except ours doesn't have burgundy, just beige.

I'm hoping to be able to go to the Albuquerque Rally, in April, that would be great - who knows, maybe we'll also make it to the dedication of the old fella memorial! Everyone can meet Wolfie!

Thanks to the person who sent the website link for cat items! I'll check it out.

I hope you can make both events. Sue and I would love to meet you and the family and you would just love our little town, it is so beautiful and very Deep South with many homes dating back to the 1800's.

The City park is two blocks from our home. Sue and I often walk the dogs over there. Old Fella couldn't have found a better resting place.

Wife Sue

Gentle_Spirit
Explorer
Explorer
Richard - That photo looks just like it, except ours doesn't have burgundy, just beige.

I'm hoping to be able to go to the Albuquerque Rally, in April, that would be great - who knows, maybe we'll also make it to the dedication of the old fella memorial! Everyone can meet Wolfie!

Thanks to the person who sent the website link for cat items! I'll check it out.
Carole Winch, husband George
Wolfie-Malamute/wolf mix
Tiger-cat/Spicey-cat

07 National Pacifica Diesel Pusher, 36'
05 Honda Pilot - toad

campingshadow
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Stuck... Remember, that road goes both ways! Are YOU going to Albuquerque? Got room for Humphrey's mother? Ya know, I do not snore too loud...just ask Andy. I have a friend that lives in Albuquerque and I might be able to bunk in with her and come visit the rally or maybe get her to go with her MH. Just not sure if I will have the wherewithal to tow my trailer there. But sure would like to see you and Gail and all the other Foof's. If I can make it, you can bet I will bring Humphrey.
Shadow and LD
Angel. 15 lb Toy Fox Terrier

2001 Damon Intruder. 349. Class A

Semi-retired and loving it!!!!

StuckinTracy
Explorer
Explorer
campingshadow wrote:
Hmmm...not sure I can make the Albuquerque rally (but I am still hoping). But you are just 800 miles from me.....so maybe I can drive over for the memorial and stay in one of the motels. I will put that on my calendar as well and see if I can manage at least one of the events.

You better make it to Albuquerque! It's been too long since I've gotten to see our son. I think it was pretty mean of you to take him and run off to Texas. The least you could do is visit once in a while. :W
10 Rally's and counting...

Mike (me-pilot)
Gail ("I'M THE BOSS"-navigator)

Stuck in a tent but looking

Good Sam Life members
FMCA 370826

butterfly_girl
Explorer
Explorer
Gentle Spirit wrote:
I've always felt alittle "funny" participating in this website because we were simply looking for a motorhome to travel with our pets, but didn't have one. Well, guess what????? Yesterday we finally bought a motorhome!!! YAY! I told my husband that I want to participate in Old Fella rallies - when and where are they? Is there a schedule somewhere of the FOOF's get togethers?

BTW, we bought a 36' Pacifica National class A diesel pusher - big enough to bring 2 cats and our 110 lb. dog!!!! Any advice for traveling with pets would be appreciated, as I'm paranoid of losing my beloved cats, but don't want to travel extensively (1-2 months) without them.

YIPPEE - YIPPEE - YIPPEE!!!!!!!

Congratulations Carrol...

Check out this site for outdoor cats pens...We have a camping friend who used one of the tubes for their cats....

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/pet_supplies.cfm?c=3261+2053

also get them used to a harness....
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
Live life as a gift you unwrap daily

Sharon
Hubby...bob-88Bounder
Poky the Dog...and Ally the Dog.. Both rescued dogs.
OUR RIG.. 1988 34' Bounder...
Rincon Beach, Ventura Calif
Our BLOG
1 Romantic Wedding

My Space Page

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow Carole! That is a nice class A if I have the picture right.

Wife Sue

campingshadow
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm...not sure I can make the Albuquerque rally (but I am still hoping). But you are just 800 miles from me.....so maybe I can drive over for the memorial and stay in one of the motels. I will put that on my calendar as well and see if I can manage at least one of the events.
Shadow and LD

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
After meeting today with the City Mayor this is the plan for the Old Fella Memorial. He would like to have the memorial the last week in April after Sue and I return from Albuquerque so the city can also take part in recognizing the Rver of the year. This would also give those who would like to attend the memorial from the frozen North a chance to come south and enjoy some Southern hospitality. There is a beautiful State Park just 12 miles from Waynesboro and some very nice motels here also that could accommodate those would like to come and stay in the city.

The memorial will become a point of interest for Waynesboro and as one of the trustees said today โ€œIt will be a valuable part of the heritage of Burke County. This is a win, win situation for all of us.โ€

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am so glad to hear you have a new camper. Sue and I look forward to seeing you at either Albuquerque or in Ohio, or both. Great news!

Wife Sue

campingshadow
Explorer
Explorer
Gentle Spirit.....is there room for Ranger and Dillon in that new MH? I am so happy to hear you have an RV now and I wish you many years of happy travels. If you are ever in Texas please stop by and say hi. Ya got a night of free camping on me!!
Shadow and LD

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations on your new RV, Carole, and happy camping! There are two Old Fella Rallies this year: One in Ohio in June (Check out this website)

Ohio Rally

and one in Albuquerque in April at Affinity Group's The Rally

Albuquerque Rally

Hope you can make at least one of them this year. Good luck with your camper, that sounds like a great one, and welcome offically to the RV Addicts :B
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Gentle_Spirit
Explorer
Explorer
I've always felt alittle "funny" participating in this website because we were simply looking for a motorhome to travel with our pets, but didn't have one. Well, guess what????? Yesterday we finally bought a motorhome!!! YAY! I told my husband that I want to participate in Old Fella rallies - when and where are they? Is there a schedule somewhere of the FOOF's get togethers?

BTW, we bought a 36' Pacifica National class A diesel pusher - big enough to bring 2 cats and our 110 lb. dog!!!! Any advice for traveling with pets would be appreciated, as I'm paranoid of losing my beloved cats, but don't want to travel extensively (1-2 months) without them.

YIPPEE - YIPPEE - YIPPEE!!!!!!!
Carole Winch, husband George
Wolfie-Malamute/wolf mix
Tiger-cat/Spicey-cat

07 National Pacifica Diesel Pusher, 36'
05 Honda Pilot - toad