cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone, it looks as if it is going to be a beautiful day today. I spoke with Jackie about Mr. Trecartin yesterday and his health is on a daily watch as he has some good days and some bad days. When I spoke with her she said Cy mentioned he had received a letter from someone he didnโ€™t know and she assured him his animals were being taken care of and he found some comfort in that.

Hobo and Mama continue to do well, adjusting to their new home and loving all of the attention they are getting. Hobo makes progress everyday overcoming her shyness while Mama settles into her role as Queen. Her hips are painful and she gets around very slowly at times. I wait to see if the medication will help her, right now I donโ€™t see that much difference in her ability to get around. She will get go outside with the other gang and sometimes she will join in the games they play, then she comes back in limping and down in her back. She is such a sweetheart as she clings to every word Sue and I speak to her , no doubt about it, she loves attention and just waits for someone to come to her and stroke her soft fur. She has the most beautiful coat of fur, so soft to the touch and so very shiny.

She reminds me so much of Fella in her gentleness and loving attitude. All she wants to do is please. Hobo is getting so it is easier to touch her and love on her, but she will still shy away at times and curls up in a ball when you walk up to her. Right now she, Suzie and Claire are in the back yard playing tag. For a big dog Hobo is fast, but not as fast as Suzie as she can out run them all. Suzie is such a ham and so cute in her ways. She has now adjusted to all the new fur babies in the house and has chosen to make them her toys, all except Mama who has chosen not to be at Suzieโ€™s beck and call. Mama will let Suzie know when she doesnโ€™t want to participate in her fun and games. So far it has been a good mix with the different personalities and everyone is getting along just fine. Mama is asleep on her bed in front of the couch while Peaches is asleep on the other bed next to the bookcase. All is at peace at the Daniels home this morning with full tummies and a mindset that this will last forever, oh what peace they have found like a child whose play world is as large as their imagination.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Gentle_Spirit
Explorer
Explorer
Well, since Mr. Trecartin was okay with my letter, then I guess other "well-wishers" can go ahead and send their letters. I'm sure he still needs our thoughts and prayers.
Carole Winch, husband George
Wolfie-Malamute/wolf mix
Tiger-cat/Spicey-cat

07 National Pacifica Diesel Pusher, 36'
05 Honda Pilot - toad

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
That would be so cool if we could come. But must be home for the dreaded "T" word, otherwise we would make it a stop on our way home.....
Love the pictures. Just beautiful dogs.
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tonight the the City of Waynesboro approved the memorial for Old Fella to be placed in the City Park with the memorial service to be held April 30th when we get back from Albuquerque. The City wants to acknowledge the Rver of the Year at the memorial service as well. A statue mounted on a granite base with the bronze plaque mounted to the base will be unveiled for public display on that day. Old Fella's ashes will be placed under the base of the statue as a final resting place for the dog that changed a community and touched the hearts of people all over this nation. My goal of bringing Old Fella's memory to a forever resting place is now complete as generations to come will honor him as a real hero and a gentle soul.

If anyone from the forum would like to attend the memorial service let me know and I can tell you about arrangements for camping or a stay at a motel.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gentle Spirit, I believe it was you who wrote Mr. Trecartin, he told Jackie he got it and enjoyed reading it.

Wife Sue

whimstock
Explorer
Explorer
Love the new pictures! ๐Ÿ™‚

Happy and Jeanie ๐Ÿ™‚

We always have time for the things we put first.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
When Mama talks, you better listen...

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
With a face like that, you just have to love her.

Wife Sue

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
And no carpet on the floor. We have no carpet in our truck & with 3 dogs it is very nice.
Now if we could just get smudge proof glass.
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF ๐Ÿ™‚ campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
PS: I wouldn't even be picky about the color of either. Suzie says she wants leather seats so the seats won't be so hard to keep clean.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
SGTJOE wrote:
Any news on how Gentle Spirit's letter was received by Cy? And, yes I agree, Richard could go to an A or how about a 4 dr trk?

All of this costs money and with the downard spiral of the savings, I am afraid that is not an option. Now if someone would like to donate a Class "A" Diesel Pusher or even a 4 door crew cab F250 Diesel then that would be another story. I am sure all of the furbabies would appreciate the room.

Wife Sue

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any news on how Gentle Spirit's letter was received by Cy? And, yes I agree, Richard could go to an A or how about a 4 dr trk?
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

yankeeblue
Explorer
Explorer
I think the perfect answer is for Richard to upgrade to a Class A big enough for everyone to ride in! tada!! everyone's happy!! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Gentle Spirit can help you there, her's is gorgeous!!
2004 Prowler 270FQS "MY PRECIOUS"
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT quad 5.9L V8 360 tow package

"Happiness is but a state of mind. Any time you want, you can cross the state line."

We LOVE the RED WINGS! Go Wings!

Our 2004 Prowler photos

maltese-lover2
Explorer
Explorer
Richard,

Have you considered a retired person to "house sit/dog sit". In some areas, these people are bonded, etc. to do this and you could interview them on a more personal level. With your perception of people in general, I don't see where you could make too much of a mistake. I'm sure if you put an ad in your local church, restaurant, school, etc., you would probably get quite a few responses and then you could go from there.

Just a thought.

By the way, that is the main reason we have a Class A. With 5 maltese and a 21 year old kitty, we wouldn't have room in a pickup. ๐Ÿ™‚

Good luck.

Gigi
Scott, Gigi + 7 maltese
2005 Safari Cheetah

chrisnpat
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, is there someone that you would trust to maybe come in your home at night,(maybe sleep there). Than you could leave HoBo and Mama home, until you can figure out something else. I usually do that with my neighbors dog when he goes away for a while, sometimes I stay there and others times I bring her into my home with my dog.It works out very well and Patches doesn't have to spend the time in a crate, while being boarded. Just a thought.
Christine and Patrick
Cocker Spaniels
Trevor and two Fosters Kahlua and Blossom
Life is What happens to you while your busy making plans.