cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

butterfly_girl
Explorer
Explorer
Cats update....Looks like we may have a home for them.....

Gentle Spirit has found a home for the cats...we will work out the details tomorrow...we have to deliver them to Oceanside....half way between LA and San Diego......

The spirit of Old Fella is working again.....Thanks Gentle Spirit
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
Live life as a gift you unwrap daily

Sharon
Hubby...bob-88Bounder
Poky the Dog...and Ally the Dog.. Both rescued dogs.
OUR RIG.. 1988 34' Bounder...
Rincon Beach, Ventura Calif
Our BLOG
1 Romantic Wedding

My Space Page

maltese-lover2
Explorer
Explorer
So Dan, what you are saying is it is pretty cold in NM, huh? ๐Ÿ™‚ Well I guess we'd better bring jackets and sweaters for our little one since they don't have an undercoat. Hope everyone has a safe journey and see you all in NM.

Gary, we de-winterized ours this weekend also and like you, our dogs were going crazy. Our big thing was trying to find enough places to put 9 carriers while we're traveling so we ended up putting the chairs on the bed and that gave us a lot more room. Anyway, see everyone there. I sure do hope it warms up a little.

Gigi
Scott, Gigi + 7 maltese
2005 Safari Cheetah

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Easter to all from the Ruidoso area of N. Mex. I looked out of the door and say a beagle trying to jump start the Easter Bunny to get it going. Windchill here is 28* and last night it snowed a skiff. I thought coming this far from home would leave the snow at home. I must say the snow is gone this morning but it is a very cold wind blowing. Don't forget to ggive all the fur kids a treat today. Everybody have have a very Happy Easter.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

KarenInTheWoods
Explorer
Explorer
Safe travels to you, and all headed that way to NM. Wish we could be there too!

That statue is just lovely and can't wait to see the pics of it installed in it's rightful place in the park.

Happy Easter to everyone... may all the furbabies get a treat today.
Karen and Steveio
Safari Serengeti 38 ft DP
Tracker 4x4 Toad
(My RV Blog RVing: Small House - BIG Backyard
(Camping/Family Photos) http://picasaweb.google.com/pfundt/

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We finally made it to Memphis. Mary was waiting for us and we have had a great time visiting with her. We traveled a little over 500 miles today so we are tired and ready for bed. Last night a tornado came through Burke County doing a lot of damage to some homes. I haven't heard of anyone being hurt so that's good.

Okay, I am going to call it a day. I will talk with you tomorrow.
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

honeygirl
Explorer
Explorer
I forgot to say.....I am hoping that the daughter will donate a portion to Oldfella rescue with what Cy had left. He did not have much but I know he had some. I will be writing a letter to her with the suggestion since her father would of wanted that more than anything!!!It would be the right thing to do, as well!!

chemisd
Explorer
Explorer
Jacqueline,
This bunch on here are some of the most caring of all....I am sorry that you didn't get a chance to meet Cy. I feel like many of the others that he held on until all was taken care of. Please pass our sympathies on to Cy's daughter next time you talk with her.
Chemisd's
Joe,Jana,Jarod,Jansen
GS Allie and Sammi
See you at the bridge Maddey&Maicey
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

2004 Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, 5.7L hemi
http://www.didomenicos.com

honeygirl
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone,

I will be waiting to hear how everything is going on your trip Richard and Sue..... and the rest of you. Anyway....I have been feeling down since Cy has past, It doesn't feel real yet, still waiting for him to call....but I wanted you to know that coming here...crazy as it may sound, since I only have been here a few times..... but it made me feel better. Reading about CY...thank you for making him matter. I was trying to do the reply thing where you put a post from someone else and then reply to it...but I couldn't figure it out...so.....I thought it was interesting and great that you felt that Cy waited until all his furbabies were going to be placed somewhere before he passed. I had been thinking since Richard got the word the morning after Cy had passed that maybe Cy had a hand in it from above......I think I like your thought better. Perhaps I like both thoughts. Thanks so much for that...it really made me feel better. Since Cy had just arrived on Tuesday night and I had to work on wed I was unable to see him until Friday. He passed on Thursday afternoon so I never did get to meet him after being his only family and trusted friend for 10 years. I wish I had had at least a moment with him in person, however he knew how much I cared for him, kind of like a father. Through my efforts he and his daughter were finally reunited, which was something he talked about all the time...so at least I can feel at peace about that! I guess I will have to wait a long while longer to meet him. I have no other information...his daughter has not contacted me since her call to let me know that he passed away.
May you all have a blessed Easter.
Jacqueline

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
We've made it to Ruidoso NM and going to be here for a couple of days. Going to see a fella I used to work with back home. Sure wish it was warmer. Richard and Sue, if you have half as much fun with Mary as we did, you will have a super time. See you all in a couple of days.........
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

mistressofdistr
Explorer
Explorer
Here I am in Memphis, where in the heck are you, Richard.

I am patiently waiting the arrival of the Daniels clan, I know they have a long way to go and I want them to drive safe. Don't know what time they to expect them but will certainly enjoy visiting with them.

Will let you know when they get here. :B
Proud owner of 2 Barth motorhomes and a Barth Trailer.

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
The converter box is for digital broadcasts via the antenna.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dashonthedash wrote:

One thing I didn't do: I bought a converter box for the RV television, but couldn't put it in because I have to completely remove the TV to access the cables, and that's a major project that will have to wait. Ah, well. Happy Easter and Happy Passover to everyone!

If you have a VCR in the MH you shouldn't have to install a converter box.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Just finished de-winterizing and preparing the motor home for the Albuquerque trip. The dogs were going nuts while I was outside working on the RV. Dash would cry like a baby every time I came inside. One time, I came in to get something, and he squeezed past me and ran out of the open garage door. No worries...he ran right into the motor home and wouldn't come out. He's feeling a bit disappointed right now; he can't wait, and neither can I. Here's hoping for good weather, and see you in Albuquerque.

One thing I didn't do: I bought a converter box for the RV television, but couldn't put it in because I have to completely remove the TV to access the cables, and that's a major project that will have to wait. Ah, well. Happy Easter and Happy Passover to everyone!
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, that's a tough one. I had to place a cat last year, took me 10 months. Everyone I know seems to have a full house these days in terms of cats... and a lot of people are having the same kinds of concerns due to the housing market and the job market.

Other than "get the heck outta there and move up to the high desert where you could live cheap in your MH or get a place that allows pets" I don't really have any ideas. But I'll sure mull it.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

butterfly_girl
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the thoughts and ideas....

only problem is we are storing the motor home and putting it up for sale....:(

we keep looking for answers....Gentle Spirit(Carole) is contacting a few people she knows so keeping our fingers crossed and good thoughts in or hearts....
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
Live life as a gift you unwrap daily

Sharon
Hubby...bob-88Bounder
Poky the Dog...and Ally the Dog.. Both rescued dogs.
OUR RIG.. 1988 34' Bounder...
Rincon Beach, Ventura Calif
Our BLOG
1 Romantic Wedding

My Space Page